What games are you playing now?

It's the only game I know in which you go like "Uh, what's that noise?" <flashlight up> "oh, it's just a fan." <pistol up> "Uh, what's that noise?" <flashlight up> "YEAArrghhh".

Playing Aliens vs Predator 2 now, I got the itch to replay it after seeing it mentioned in another thread recently. I've finished the Marine campaign already, and started on the Predator campaign. This game is still as fun as I remember it.

I am playing one of my most favourite games of all times at the moment, known as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. It's most definitely one of the best RPG games ever made (by BioWare — the creators of Jade Empire and the such). I've removed all my savegames on purpose as to start a new game. But before I do, I'll still have to download some modifications and make ones myself. Of course, going to try the Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge mod now.

10/10.

Well, I finally got around to actually finishing Wolfenstein last night … was in the final area but never finished it as I was playing other stuff. I have nothing to add to what has been said here, but am doing one of the 'discussion reviews' for it, which might be interesting after the 'agree-fest' over how wonderful Dawn of Discovery (Anno 1404) was on all three platforms, PC, DS & Wii.

Now also playing:
PC
- Evil islands - still having fun with this.
- Hearts of Iron III … wow, grognard complexity overload! Once I actually got to the war part it was fun, but this isn't my type of game. Really well done for the serious wargamer, though.
- Majesty 2 - comes out this week in the US, and I have had fun - never played the original, but this one is fun in terms of being a city-builder with RTS elements and nice strategic bits. Cool feel and I'm just plain having fun!
- KotOR - grabbed the Steam game (yeah, I know, my 3rd copy including the Mac version) and restarted again. I still really love the game.

PSP
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy - fun fighting game with RPG elements. Just enough level-up and advancement to keep things interesting, with too many controls to possibly remember, let alone use effectively.
- Fate/Unlimited Codes - had no idea about the manga / anime, but the game is a fun straight fighting genre game. Loads of skills and missions, and permutations on the basic 'defeat 7 masters' core plot element from the manga. It is voiced in Japanese with subtitles, which I actually love.
- Disgaea 2 - I'll withhold judgment for a while, but so far this looks even better than the original!

I'm also involved with a beta I can't discuss ... and was recently reminded about WHY you sign NDA's - someone revealed info without permission and it caused loads of problems ... c'mon folks, NDA means you agree NOT to DISCLOSE ...

- Majesty 2 - comes out this week in the US, and I have had fun - never played the original, but this one is fun in terms of being a city-builder with RTS elements and nice strategic bits. Cool feel and I'm just plain having fun!

what the??? How did you get your paws on that! NO fair!

give us a little something more plz, you have a lot of rpg compadres here that are Majesty devotees

Review copy ... probably shouldn't have said anything but there isn't an official press embargo ... but other than what I said I really can't say more yet!

Warhammer: Mark of Chaos

still playing it, fun game for the most part. CAn level up your heros rpg style, so that's fun. Said for the most part because it does have some problems tho. The AI can be anything but intelligent, the heros get so crazily OP you theoretically can play the game without an army after a certain point, the hero duels totally suck, and castle sieges are ridiculous timed slogfests that really can test the patience. Seriously, the castle warfare aspect of this game is downright awful, and scenario after scenario of the campaign keeps throwing them at me. You cant target things on the walls effectively, youre placed on the map in range of cannons all over the walls that shell the crap out of you, then trying to actually herd my numskull troops in thru a crack in the wall (while getting pounded on) is like trying to get a bunch of second graders thru a pet door. And for some reason, they timed the castle missions, freakin idiots.

The wide-open maps are fun tho, when theyre just throwing stuff at your army or youre assaulting an army. Lots of cool units, artillery and magic sends units comically flying, good times. Overall having fun, hell Ive been playing it for weeks, but some parts of the game kinda suck. My favorite type of game, the love-hate ones!

I thought Wolfenstein was quirky, but overall pretty good.

This was a very good game, I just finished it earlier, it's one of those hybrid adventure/HOG games, but a little more in depth. I think most folks around here that like a good old school adventure game would find this title pretty enjoyable.

http://www.alawar.com/game/vampire-saga-pandora-s-box/

playing Warhammer:Mark of Chaos.

At first I was walking all over everything, then the difficulty went up when Skaven got rolled out. The rats can be a formidable foe, and I got hammered a few times pretty hard until i started hanging back and being a little more patient and thoughtful in my attack. Now i'm doing good against them, but the campaign has suddenly put me in charge of the Elves.

Overall it's a fun game. Ive been playing it for 3 days now, had I paid full price for it, I feel it would have been worth it.

MoC is a great game. A few flaws in the design like you can't issue commands while paused, but overall still quite fun. The skirmish mode isn't half bad as well.

Let me give you a little advice. If you can't beat them then join them. Get rid of those pansy elves and join the dark side aka the winning side. ;)

Skaven are an absolute blast to play. They're sneaky, cunning and come with an assortment of diseases ready to cripple those weakling humans or pompous elves.

Seriously though if you finish the human campaign then try out the Chaos one. This game is like two games in one. If you want a third campaign then get the expansion. It comes with Dark Elves and Orcs/goblins.

Playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. Been busy and away from the site for awhile so don't know if it's already been commented on.

It is the most beautifully executed game I have ever played. It may supplant Gothic and The Witcher as my all-time favorite.

I'm a Batman fan with several graphic novels on the shelf, a definitive encyclopia of Batman history, and collected the comics since I was a kid. The developers of the new game created something that true Batman fanatics can appreciate on a level that no one else will.

Just incredible. Do yourself a favor and play it.

No shit? I'd been completely ignoring this one; I was vaguely aware that it existed, but that's it. Do you have any pointers to good reviews?

Edit: And is it any good even for someone like me who's pretty much clueless about DC Comics lore?

Whoa….. I played through the demo, and while I agree it's great for an action game, there's no way I would ever compare it to those titles.

I'm with JDR - it is a really good game, but it is a comic-based action game, not a RPG ... no need to start making those comparisons.

I installed the demo of Tropico 3 last night. And played a bit with it.

I don't know ... What I'll never quite understand is why some games just lose their charm when they are converted to 3D ...

Don't get me wrong: It is a really nice game, but it's not as good for me than the old Tropico game ... Maybe they put too much emphasis on points I personally don't consider that important ...

Example: The street. There is just a street with cars and with vans, but not with footgangers/pedestrians anymore ... Al transport is done via cars.

What I loved so much is the so-called "wusel-effect", which made The Settlers a thing I just loved to watch ... This effect is partly now gone for me, for example because there are now those streets ...

On the positive side, El Presidente can actually walk around ! :)

The interface is also new. It looks rather like some collection of books, whereas the UI of the older game just looks like ... Well, i don't have any words for this.

All in all, Im very mixed about it. It's a good game, but it fails to impress me in the points that are important to me - perhaps because they believed that other things were more important than the things *I* find important. ;)

Back
Top Bottom