Skyrim - Special Edition Trailer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Here's the trailer for the Skyrim Special Edition:

Epic fantasy. Stunning details. Winner of more than 200 Game of the Year Awards. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim returns with Skyrim Special Edition, available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC on October 28. Along with the critically acclaimed game and add-ons, Skyrim Special Edition has all-new features like remastered art and effects, dynamic depth of field, screen-space reflections, volumetric god rays, and more. Watch the new trailer to see Skyrim Special Edition in action.
More information.

The dragon coming out of the ground was skeletal!? That wasn't like that in the original game, was it? They've been tampering with it!!

This will be interesting on the PC side. If you have all the DLC on the 28th then you get the special edition for free. If not, not. But it's extremely likely that this edition will break a lot of the mods out there. But the mod authors that are still active will be able to do a lot more with a 64-bit version. But it's likely to take them some time to do it and much will be broken in the meantime… definitely a tricky situation!

Edit: I went to look for the inevitable topic on Steam... that place is still going gangbusters. 10 pages back and I wasn't even through a full day's topics!?

No 4K trailer? And I'm not feeling the visuals. Why do they use a yellow filter on some of the screens?

I had the game looking much better with 4K textures + ENB, etc.

Nope, still not interested. That icy setting really turned me off, along with a myriad of other things about the game. I played a demo, and was underwhelmed, to say the least. I often will buy games years after they are released, but this will not be one of them.

Nope, still not interested. That icy setting really turned me off, along with a myriad of other things about the game. I played a demo, and was underwhelmed, to say the least. I often will buy games years after they are released, but this will not be one of them.

Good for you! Now they'll only sell another 9,999,999 copies instead of 10 mil. :D

Good for you! Now they'll only sell another 9,999,999 copies instead of 10 mil. :D

I don't see this being a huge seller, at least not on PC. The majority of people who would want to play this already own the original version + DLC so they'll be getting it for free. Bethesda did this to make a profit off PS4 and Xbox One owners.

I look forward to playing it, although that won't be anytime soon. I never got very far in the original game, and then it got buried in my backlog.

Yes, SSE is aimed squarely at the console users. And for PC? It doesn't look all that much different from the moded Skyrim and a large number of mods will not work with it.

Yep, and a strong hint at their initial project: dragons were individuals, llimited in numbers. As they failed to deliver on the procedural AI to support the project, infinite dragons.

So um is this the remastered edition?

I'm still confused on how they are going to work mods on console. Are they going to limit the number of usable mods? I've installed enough mods to bring Titan x sli to its knees, consoles will never be able to handle that. Also will they support or need stuff like tesv edit, wyrebash, loot, etc. and how long will it take to mod using a controller, when using a lot of mods there's a lot of typing involved.

I just see console gamers just selecting a bunch of mods and ending up with broken skyrim installs.

Mods on consoles are a limited subset of what can be done on pc. The PS4 won't even allow you to install new assets - you can only mod with assets already present in the game. It's pretty lame, and PCs are still the way to go if you're into modding.

Console players wanted mods (and I don't mean it in a nasty sort of way) and Beth obliged saki. I have a suspicion that not many console players realise (and Beth didn't explain) that while there might be no problem using simple mods, the more complicated ones will still be beyond their reach.

I have a suspicion that not many console players realise (and Beth didn't explain) that while there might be no problem using simple mods, the more complicated ones will still be beyond their reach.

Shhh...don't tell'em! It will be funny when they try to install Enderal and realize it's not working. :p

Nevermind Enderal. If what Ripper says is true, they'll not be able to use a custom body, armor, weapon or a house mod.

Here's a quick video ( well audio actually) on console mods by gopher. Apparently it's pretty bleak, no textures, meshes,sounds, scripts, etc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R6GMS6D6Sgs

Seems pretty pointless.

That's weird. So what exactly can they do...only tinker with base game's settings( like experience rates, etc), but no adding anything outside of it?

Well, not quite Bobo. Mods that use ONLY the game resources and no script should work on PS4 but there won't be that many mods that will qualify.
If I were a PS4 user I would be very pissed off with Sony and with Beth.
I wonder what's the situation with the XBox though. I know that players will have 5gigs of HDD space for mods on XBox and 1gig on PS4 but that's about it.

Last edited:
Yes, console mods will be very limited for the simple reason alone, that you can't make use of SKSE. Users adding / enabling scripts on console? A nightmare for Microsoft and, apparently, even more so for Sony.

Still, it's the first step taken to bring mods to consoles. Seriously, who would have thought about it being possible even 5 years ago?
Once the users gotten their feet wet, they'll want more of it and sooner or later, will get that. The modding community will have to go through similar teething troubles as in early PC-phase (mod theft, among others), but that's just normal.

Back
Top Bottom