The TV Series discussion thread

I finished the mini series "The Name of the Rose" this evening, it's pretty good. I've enjoyed this tale in all three iterations that I've sampled it in to date, and I was fully expecting to not enjoy the television version, but I'm happy to report it's surprisingly enjoyable.

TV watcher me was unaware of this mini series. I loved both the book and the movie. Thanks for the heads up.

Watched the first episode of Too Old to Die Young. Truly fantastic. Dark, unsettling and beautiful. Almost has a Lynchian vibe due to the long scenes where the camera lingers for a little too long. Beautifully shot and great music. Stellar performances. Hope it continues like this.
Nice one! :)

I've watched 6 episodes now. It's a good show! :D

ST: Discovery S1. I liked it more than Voyager (I'm at the beginning of S4, where 7of9 joins the crew) so far. The look is more like the current movie series than previous tv but it hasn't been revealed yet which continuity we are in. The show is very narrative driven rather than episodic, so this is new but I'm ok with it, although I miss episodes featuring different crew members. I'd like to know more about the android crew member for instance. I do hope we are done changing captains every couple of episodes for S2!

Season 2 is MUCH better than season 1

Half way through ST Discovery and it not as bad as advertised. And actually it is far better than the first season of Enterprise.

However.

There are some major differences. The main one is that the show really centers on the "former" first officer, not the captain. I'm okay with that.

The big problem for me is that the show seems to lack a moral center. All the other Treks seem to have some kind of principles guiding the story telling. But this show seems to mostly be about action.

And the characters that populate this version of Trek just really aren't that likeable. 6 episodes in and the most compelling characters thus far are the Klingons (who by the way are fighting for a Klingon version of morality). And the Ripper/ monster/ navigator character that was grossly underused. The should have watched TOS and saw how they gave life to a similar type creature (interestingly, it was Michael's step brother, Spock, who saved the day in that episode)

I definitely feel the former first officer got a raw deal with the federation and want her to get some redemption but her continuous insubordination just dulls her not so righteous crusade towards that redemption… so there's that. Her Bunkie/ roommate is kinda interesting but her Golly, Gee, Willikers charater with no other traits to balance it out (see Data) can only go so far. The captain and the current first officer, well, they're good actors and have some decent lines, but ummm, what are their names again? Nuff said.

Still, I like the show and its not the drek I was expecting and thus far look forward to completing season one and two.

ooh, and the back story for Sarek is very interesting

Okay, who watched and is it as good as imdb suggests: Warrior.
I mean, Into the Badlands got cancelled and I need my western take on martial arts fix. Without a recommendation though… Won't.

Yes I enjoyed the first season of Warrior, although the racism angle seems way overplayed. My favorite episode was "The Blood and the Sh*t". "Chinese Boxing" was pretty good too.

I was pretty bummed that they cancelled Happy! after two seasons. Damn funny series, in a dark and twisted kind of way.

Eh? I can agree with some of the other things you said, but the battles? No way. The Battle of the Bastards at the end of season 6 was Braveheart-level brutal. Even the Battle of Winterfell, despite a few questionable scenes, was a hundred times better than the Disney-like crap Peter Jackson gave us in The Hobbit.

Eh, eh? That one was pretty good, but one with Nightwalkers was mindnumbingly dumb...hell, even the brains were on zombies' side ( who uses cavalry like that?).
One thing though..why didn't they just let Arya go and kill Cersei, hell she saved all their asses.
Plus, Davos was the only remaining likeable character. Should've been crowned.

A couple of days ago I've finished watching Black Mirror 5th Season. I really didn't like this Season, IMHO this one is the weakest of them all.

Last edited:
Yeah, Happy! getting cancelled was sad and sorry news. I'm not even sure the Sci-Fi channel has any science fiction shows left on their channel, now. At least none that I watch.

Yeah, Happy! getting cancelled was sad and sorry news. I'm not even sure the Sci-Fi channel has any science fiction shows left on their channel, now. At least none that I watch.

Krypton, Killjoys. 'Bout it. They got interesting again for about 3-4 years, then foop.

Dark season 2 is out, cant wait to watch it...gonna rewatch first season too.

I remember seeing 2-3 episodes of Dark, a depressive teen drama that didn't seem to go anywhere either. i guess was expecting something a bit similar to Stranger Things (i think i read somewhere that it was similar). I mainly just remember it being dark and depressing and everything basically at a halt.

You know what I'll do this summer.

As much as I like Stranger Things, I hope they wrap it up this season. I don't want to see it dragged out until it completely loses whatever magic it has left.

The third and final season of Legion is almost here, and reportedly it's at least as trippy and mind-bending as the first two seasons, if not more so.

Legion is one of the best shows currently on television, in my opinion. The acting is great, the stories compelling, and they usually have some rather decent music tossed in just to make the show even better!

Back
Top Bottom