|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » 11 days to Grimoire release. Yay.

Default 11 days to Grimoire release. Yay.

July 8th, 2017, 15:08
Pretty clear that steam/game release is some sort of a hoax. Take a look at a couple excerpts from Grimoire's official Steam post from yesterday:

"Bloodshot eyeballs inflamed to 8x normal size, mucus from nose pooling on floor around chair, been doing 20 hour days with nothing but expired beef jerky to keep me from starving to death. My wife has brought a bedpan into my study and placed it under my chair like that episode of South Park so I no longer have to break to go to the bathroom.

"Game looks so utterly beautiful that tears are mixing with the mascara as they run down my cheeks. I … never … dreamed … my game would finally look this good.

Gimme a break. This guy's not even close to serious.

__

RPGFool

Guest

#561

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 15:14
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
No a demo and a superdemo were actually released several years ago and many of us played them, including myself. They were surprisingly good. Obviously there remains doubt over the remaining game. Personally, I think Cleve is perfectly genuine in wanting to make a good game, that conclusion is hard to avoid from the quality of the superdemo. Sure he is a pretty fallible guy in other respects such as anything to do with release dates. But that is a problem that afflicts many developers such as even Blizzard… Cleve, though, does seem to have an extremely severe case of making promises you can't keep syndrome.
Yes, as I said, a demo was released that contained that exact same starting area from the 20 year old version, and which was mostly the same, including many of the same incomplete parts. That doesn't prove that there has been any development, in fact it suggests the opposite. And as I pointed out, Cleve outright lied this time. It's not about him being fallible or making promises he can't keep. It's about him blatantly lying and making things up. You can't possibly compare him to other developers who miss release dates but tell the truth and keep people informed about it. There is no reason to believe that the game is anything other than a scam/hoax at this point. Even Steam has removed it from their list of upcoming games.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

SasqWatch

#562

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 15:15
Originally Posted by RPGFool View Post
Pretty clear that steam/game release is some sort of a hoax. Take a look at a couple excerpts from Grimoire's official Steam post from yesterday:

"Bloodshot eyeballs inflamed to 8x normal size, mucus from nose pooling on floor around chair, been doing 20 hour days with nothing but expired beef jerky to keep me from starving to death. My wife has brought a bedpan into my study and placed it under my chair like that episode of South Park so I no longer have to break to go to the bathroom.

"Game looks so utterly beautiful that tears are mixing with the mascara as they run down my cheeks. I … never … dreamed … my game would finally look this good.

Gimme a break. This guy's not even close to serious.

__
Come on… that is just his style. Actually it is not untypical geek "humor". And there is a sort of bravado and geek ethic that underlies it.
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
Original Sin Donor

#563

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 1,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 15:32
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
Come on… that is just his style. Actually it is not untypical geek "humor". And there is a sort of bravado and geek ethic that underlies it.
Yup. It's all a big geek joke… hoax. Indeed, Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar is not even available for purchase on Steam.

It ain't serious.

__

RPGFool

Guest

#564

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 16:10
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
Come on… that is just his style. Actually it is not untypical geek "humor". And there is a sort of bravado and geek ethic that underlies it.
Yeah that would maybe be funny 20 years ago. Now he is just one of the top trolls on the internet. The only thing he has ever wanted to accomplish.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable

#565

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,319
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 16:29
Originally Posted by Golden Era Games
No such thing as bad publicity. You guys would not believe how soon you will be crying tears of joy and playing my fantastic game, it is almost there. Could be tears of despair mixed with tears of joy … what have you and whatnot.
What a fool. He's been breathing Codex fumes for far too long.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#566

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 4,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 17:07
I wouldn't give this pompous turd a nickel of my monies. What a creep.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#567

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 5,411
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 17:57
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
Corwin has claimed to have played through the game twice but we don't know exactly what he played and how different it was than the 20 year old version. And for the record he also gave glowing reviews to Dungeon Lords when that first came out so many of us may have vastly different opinions than him about what counts as a complete/quality game.
Oh come on! Give Corwin a break. Do you not realize how old he is?
---

Originally Posted by Golden Era Games
Almost there. Game is looking ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE. - Cleve
http://steamcommunity.com/games/6506…06874646967361


--

Time to turn off the counter again.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#568

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 18:50
loading…


__

RPGFool

Guest

#569

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 20:37
He is unbelievable, I agree. But I disagree about people jumping through emotional hoops. Each time this happens I think people actually care less about it. There's probably 5 people that get strung along at this point. But it's definitely a hoax. There's no game there beyond the "superdemo" and it was probably stolen to begin with.

We're in the Age of RPG Hoaxes, it seems. I simply removed the game from my wishlist and barely shrugged. Nothing of value was lost.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

#570

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,546
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 20:47
Oh well. The cycle begins again, like the turning of the tides.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#571

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 21:06
I would just ignore the hype. If and when it's released, then pay attention.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!

#572

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 15,055
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 22:03
That's why I've always been a strong advocate of RPGwatch just not covering any Grimoire related news items. The hoax can't continue if nobody pays attention to it anymore, and this is one of the few places left that still does.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

SasqWatch

#573

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 22:21
Given that otherwise intelligent people are still taking this seriously, I can only assume that they are currently living in a cluster of huts in the Australian desert known as Clevetown, wearing white robes, and awaiting his evening sermon.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#574

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,856
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 22:58
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Given that otherwise intelligent people are still taking this seriously, I can only assume that they are currently living in a cluster of huts in the Australian desert known as Clevetown, wearing white robes, and awaiting his evening sermon.
..lol!
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

#575

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,546
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 23:08
I'm relieved. For the first time I was actually fearing the game would be released. But now everything is back to the usual, the world makes sense and Cleve doesn't. As it should be.
Last edited by TomRon; July 8th, 2017 at 23:18.
TomRon is offline

TomRon

TomRon's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#576

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

July 8th, 2017, 23:21
Personally I think it is a hoax because many of things he's claiming to be doing at the last minute should have been done 15 years ago (assuming this game has a 20 year development cycle). Even worse if he is squeezing them in at the very last minute it is almost guaranteed that it will be broken at launch.

For example versioning in the save file. Now to be fair this could mean a couple of different things. He could be adding a version # at the beginning of the file (or in the file name) or he could be changing the save format to a metadata format that understands.

Now people say he is old school so that might suggest he just adding a version # to the internal data structure. Why this wasn't the first thing he did when he created the game I have no clue and while the effort level is low it suggest he has no real path for upgrading the internal format. If it is something more sophisticated then it might be a big project because he has to translate the 20 year old internal data structures (which is probably spaghetti - btw did he use basic or 6502 assembly code for this project ?) into something modern (xml?) which might take him 10+ years at the current progress rate he has been presenting.
-
Anyways I have no clue what he is up to but i get the sneaky feeling he be better off holding the release until he does a rewrite.
-
Btw does this game have any animations - i dont' remember seeing any in the stream video.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#577

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 3,497
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2017, 00:29
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
That's why I've always been a strong advocate of RPGwatch just not covering any Grimoire related news items. The hoax can't continue if nobody pays attention to it anymore, and this is one of the few places left that still does.
Whilst it is possible that it is a hoax (anything is possible), I do think that the evidence rather points against that conclusion. If it is a hoax then it is a very elaborate one, in which Cleve has managed to entangle many other people, including another programmer, who would have been pretending to have worked on the graphics, his own son, who is passing himself off as a pretty normal kind of guy etc. So it would have to be quite a complex conspiracy conducted over a quarter of a century and with some serious deliverables. You have to wonder at the intent of such a deception? What is it exactly that this small coterie of conspirators intends to achieve by their deception? Maybe it's some sort of post modernist work of living art or something?
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
Original Sin Donor

#578

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 1,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2017, 00:38
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Oh come on! Give Corwin a break. Do you not realize how old he is?
Corwin originally played Grimoire while on Noah's Ark, waiting for the flood waters to recede. The second time was during the heyday of the Roman Empire.

Originally Posted by you View Post
Personally I think it is a hoax because many of things he's claiming to be doing at the last minute should have been done 15 years ago (assuming this game has a 20 year development cycle). Even worse if he is squeezing them in at the very last minute it is almost guaranteed that it will be broken at launch.

For example versioning in the save file. Now to be fair this could mean a couple of different things. He could be adding a version # at the beginning of the file (or in the file name) or he could be changing the save format to a metadata format that understands.

Now people say he is old school so that might suggest he just adding a version # to the internal data structure. Why this wasn't the first thing he did when he created the game I have no clue and while the effort level is low it suggest he has no real path for upgrading the internal format. If it is something more sophisticated then it might be a big project because he has to translate the 20 year old internal data structures (which is probably spaghetti - btw did he use basic or 6502 assembly code for this project ?) into something modern (xml?) which might take him 10+ years at the current progress rate he has been presenting.
-
Anyways I have no clue what he is up to but i get the sneaky feeling he be better off holding the release until he does a rewrite.
-
Btw does this game have any animations - i dont' remember seeing any in the stream video.
I've played the old beta before, and it was barely able to run with a bunch of effort on a WinXP machine a decade old. It was apparently written with P1-era CPU architecture in mind, if not 486-era. I was able to get it to boot up under WINE, but it's buggy.

Given how far and fast computers have gotten since then, he's had to have rewritten the engine by now. Given the screenshots, he's also redesigned the UI (original was just as clunky as Wizardry 6) and gotten some newer graphics (old stuff looks like he stole it from Sir Tech from when they were making Wizardry 7).

So not fake, but still a hoax as he's not going to release it. I expect that there will always be 'one last thing' to pop up and delay release at the last second, just like 5,000 times before.

Basically, I expect to release my own game first. And I'm barely working on it, as I'm focused on other projects at the moment.
azraelck is offline

azraelck

azraelck's Avatar
Angel of Cookies!

#579

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to azraelck
+1:

Default 

July 9th, 2017, 01:06
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
Whilst it is possible that it is a hoax (anything is possible), I do think that the evidence rather points against that conclusion. If it is a hoax then it is a very elaborate one, in which Cleve has managed to entangle many other people, including another programmer, who would have been pretending to have worked on the graphics, his own son, who is passing himself off as a pretty normal kind of guy etc. So it would have to be quite a complex conspiracy conducted over a quarter of a century and with some serious deliverables. You have to wonder at the intent of such a deception? What is it exactly that this small coterie of conspirators intends to achieve by their deception? Maybe it's some sort of post modernist work of living art or something?
Well remember that Cleve has a history of blatantly lying and making things up, and that anyone can post on the internet claiming to be anyone. Is there any evidence that these people are actually who they say they are, and not just Cleve posting as someone else? It wouldn't have to be a "complex conspiracy", just one guy with some free time and some 20 year old code that they may or may not have written themselves.

As for the reason for the deception, see the past indiegogo campaign. Cleve has taken money from quite a few people without delivering and may plan to do so again in the future. People rarely need any motivation beyond money.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

SasqWatch

#580

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » 11 days to Grimoire release. Yay.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:00.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch