|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Librem privacy-focused phone

Default Librem privacy-focused phone

October 4th, 2017, 20:23
Librem are crowd funding a linux-based phone, which will be focused on privacy and security. For those interested in that side of things, here is the campaign. I'm in.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
+1:

October 5th, 2017, 05:13
Can it run WINE?

posfan12

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 5th, 2017, 12:06
I am using cheap Android phone from China knowing full well its plagued with malware!

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

October 5th, 2017, 12:33
I don't think that many people will want a phone without the app-ecosystem of either google or apple ?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 5th, 2017, 12:58
Given the way WINE works, which doesn't require any emulation, it should run on any Linux system, including this one.

With regard to the app ecosystem, KDE are working on a mobile shell, and a project to allow android apps to run on Linux. The other key point with this project is that it crosses a very significant barrier - of allowing Linux to run on a mobile platform. Once that happens, there is the hope that mobile Linux apps will be developed, as they are for the desktop.

Personally, and I think for a lot of the people serious about privacy, I don't use typical apps anyway. In terms of privacy, it's not much of a stretch to call most of them malware. I currently run a stripped down Android build without any proprietary Google stuff or app store, and the apps I need are from the open source Fdroid repo.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

October 5th, 2017, 13:51
That is interesting. If it would have dual SIM, I would be even more interested.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
+1:

October 5th, 2017, 14:31
A phone that allows facebook on it is not privacy-focused.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
+1:

October 5th, 2017, 15:24
That's fair enough, Joxer. More accurately it is freedom-focused phone, configured for privacy. For me, that's how I like my computing devices, and people are free to turn theirs into a rat's nest of malware and nonsense if they so desire!
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

October 9th, 2017, 23:59
It's made its goal, with two weeks to go.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

October 10th, 2017, 15:19
On Linux, everything is a file. On Mobile Linux, you have to edit all these files using a tiny onscreen keyboard.

posfan12

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 12th, 2017, 17:36
Originally Posted by posfan12 View Post
On Linux, everything is a file. On Mobile Linux, you have to edit all these files using a tiny onscreen keyboard.
No, there's no reason that should be the case. The idea of "everything being a file" is just a concept that is used by all Unix-like systems, but in practice it makes very little difference - all operating systems are essentially a bunch of files, with a GUI to make interaction easier.

In fact, both Android and iOS are Unix-like systems, too. Android uses the Linux kernel, and iOS is based on the open source Darwin kernel. There is no need to worry about directly text editing files on those systems, because the gui makes that unnecessary, and a mobile Linux shell should be no different.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

October 12th, 2017, 20:11
I love it when you talk all techy Ripper.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

October 12th, 2017, 20:14
All da ladies love them some of dat Unix architecture talk.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

October 19th, 2017, 18:56
Samsung now have a "Linux on Galaxy" project, which works with their Dex desktop docks. The idea is to allow the phones to run a full Linux desktop when docked.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/19/…nux-on-galaxy/
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

October 20th, 2017, 02:11
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I am using cheap Android phone from China knowing full well its plagued with malware!
Instead you should use an expensive Android phone made in China knowing full well it's plagued with malware!

https://blog.checkpoint.com/2017/03/…-mobile-users/

The same group is also building laptops, running some form of Linux, as well. https://puri.sm/products/librem-15/

They were even able to disable the Intel Management Engine, which is a separate CPU designed to allow an easy backdoor to run and control a computer, even when turned off. https://puri.sm/posts/purism-librem-…gement-engine/

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to azraelck
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Librem privacy-focused phone