|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Thoughts so far of POEII

Default Thoughts so far of POEII

May 25th, 2018, 16:44
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Sadly I have to disagree on this since pleasing everyone is not mutually exclusive till the game finale. Eternity 2 factions are not Gothic nor Risen factions and siding with one will not change the game style nor you'll get faction specific "overpowered" equipment. Also, learning what you can about each faction by pleasing them can make you show the middlefinger to everyone and proceed on your own without backing any faction into the finale.
There is no role-playing in pleasing every factions outside "I am a greedy asshole".

The faction content is way more interesting if you decide to make a pro-FactionX character from the start with fitting background and do quests with that in mind. There is a quite a few quests you can "sabotage" to favor another faction.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

May 25th, 2018, 19:04
While technically there are quests with different outcomes depending on faction stance and other factors, it's still true that there at least seem to be no mutually exclusive quests until the end. I maybe mistaken, though, maybe there are slaver quests that I missed?

What I mean is that even if you resolve a quest to a end that is unsatisfactory to a faction or two, they'll still give you the next quest in the chain. In comparison, I do believe there were quests exclusive to the factions in PoE, to the best of my recollection.

Somehow this attributes to the general lack of content (for me) - at some points Deadfire kinda feels almost like an open-world game, but at some point everything falls apart - every named ship is a bounty, every island is a pointless endevour, ending with a shallow dungeon, there's like a couple of quests you're railroaded to that involve every possible faction.

Polyester

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 25th, 2018, 20:11
Originally Posted by Polyester View Post
What I mean is that even if you resolve a quest to a end that is unsatisfactory to a faction or two, they'll still give you the next quest in the chain. In comparison, I do believe there were quests exclusive to the factions in PoE, to the best of my recollection. .
The only difference with Deadfire is that you picked side 3/4 through the game. It worked the same way otherwise, except with less quests. They only had 2 (one you could do for all and 1 that locked you into that faction) and the first Dozen quest could lock you out of the Crucible Knights by starting a fight with them.

As for Deadfire, it's possible the faction disposition isn't working properly (just like it doesn't for companions and personalities, you gain everything too fast). Trying to go negative with a faction is almost impossible, saying one nice thing is like a +1. I know that going negative blocks some merchants and people from talking to you for Delver's Row (because I achieved -3 with them, back at -1 just by doing a single quest).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 1st, 2018, 05:58
By the time it's actually finished this will be one of my favorite CRPGs.

Copper Coin

Outspoken D&D critic

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2018, 09:31
Is anyone doing a Watch review of the game? Or even interested in one at this point?

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

June 2nd, 2018, 09:58
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Is anyone doing a Watch review of the game? Or even interested in one at this point?
I was hoping you would?
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2018, 12:42
In the end I enjoyed Poe2 more than PoE 1, and liked both, but neither game has left the same impression or desire to replace as the old BG games.

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2018, 15:27
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
In the end I enjoyed Poe2 more than PoE 1, and liked both, but neither game has left the same impression or desire to replace as the old BG games.
Well, that's a high bar to match, don't you think? BG2 was released 20 years ago when you were likely able to play it night and day and there was little omnipresent internet to spoil or sour your experience in any way! The games industry was also miniscule compared to where it is now and you would not have been inundated with other similar experiences.

Unless you only played BG last week

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2018, 16:07
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Well, that's a high bar to match, don't you think? BG2 was released 20 years ago when you were likely able to play it night and day and there was little omnipresent internet to spoil or sour your experience in any way! The games industry was also miniscule compared to where it is now and you would not have been inundated with other similar experiences.

Unless you only played BG last week
I played it (well, all of them actually) quite recently - a few month ago. Even though they have aged and there is an element of nostalgia, I keep on going back to them, every year or two. I think part of that is my love of the DnD rule set with all its quirks, which i know many don't like. I also loved the Forgotten Realms setting. I don't dislike PoE or the setting (before I get flamed), it just doesn't grab me in quite the same way. I'm happy for those who enjoy it more - it's nice to find something new that really appeals.

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2018, 03:58
People can "hop in" on the 1.1.0 beta patch. Release notes.
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 4th, 2018, 10:05
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I was hoping you would?
I could do that. I'm in the middle of some renovations, so it'll take longer than usual. In fact, it already has.

I did find the time to complete the game twice though, and I still have notes/screenshots, so it's possible to get cracking soon.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 4th, 2018, 17:13
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I could do that. I'm in the middle of some renovations, so it'll take longer than usual. In fact, it already has.

I did find the time to complete the game twice though, and I still have notes/screenshots, so it's possible to get cracking soon.
Review first, renovate later. Plus sleeping on the floor is good for your back.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

June 5th, 2018, 10:26
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Review first, renovate later. Plus sleeping on the floor is good for your back.
Haha, I have actually completed the renovations for one bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and office, so I've got places to sleep, eat and work.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 5th, 2018, 17:15
So dream come true. Can multi-class Fenn as a Beastmaster which means he can be a werewolf and have a wolf companion. Playing Druid-Lifegiver sub-class with muitlclass for Ranger Stalker. Get to hunt in werewolf form with my wolf at my side and do some good healing.

Love the options in the game. Was just talking with a friend who planted a bomb on a musical instrument and when some played it BOOM!

Shot of beast form in the inventory (POE2)

The graphics are excellent in POE2. But then I was happy with the graphics in POE1 as well, like this one:

As well as the random dialogue, like the Ogre talking to his wolf (POE1)

--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 6th, 2018, 09:44
Yeah, the character development is top notch. The multiclassing allows for some really cool, weird and strong combos, especially once you add subclasses to the mix.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 7th, 2018, 00:33
Game keeps getting better. So love sailing and the whole boat thing lol.

Maybe I am turning into Fluent with my enthusiasm
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 7th, 2018, 00:42
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
Maybe I am turning into Fluent with my enthusiasm
You're not. This game is actually good - he gets excited over just about any game.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

June 7th, 2018, 12:00
Yes, it is. It's a vast improvement over PoE1 in my opinion.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Thoughts so far of POEII