ES4: Shivering Isles - Review @ GWN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Describing it as possibly the "perfect expansion", Gameworld Network has reviewed Shivering Isles with a score of 96%:
Expansions for popular PC (and now, with downloads available on next generation systems, console) games are certainly nothing new, but rarely are they anywhere near as exciting as the original release. In most cases they simply add additional content or a few new missions; allowing for a certain degree of replayability or the opportunity to simply make the core game last a bit longer. The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles, the first full blown expansion to Bethesda's impressive Oblivion, does something more. This expansion does more than simply add to the experience provided by the core game; it improves upon it considerably.
More information.

Perfect rpg... my god, what kind of moron do you need to be to even state that. This is not even a rpg, its a kiddie game that handhold you so much, a person with an iq over 20 will puke. No wonder gaming gets worse and worse when it needs to cater to retards.

Question:- How can you IMPROVE on the 'perfect game'??!!

Despite all the different complaints about the game, I really like it except for the enemy and loot level scaling. I wish Bethesda would release a patch that would allow you to turn the level scaling off. I know there are mods out there that change it, but the problem with those is that they all seem to change a hundred other things as well.

My only other complaint is how lock picking was implemented. It is 100% absolutely retarded and has no place in the game whatsoever. Is there supposed to be a challenge when every chest you lockpick contains 3-5 more lockpicks?

Perfect rpg... my god, what kind of moron do you need to be to even state that. This is not even a rpg, its a kiddie game that handhold you so much, a person with an iq over 20 will puke.

my IQ is over 20 and i don't puke.

I'm sorry - but I don't get why all games that is good (or even great) games need to get a rating over 90/100. Im my honest (and other ;) ) opinion(s), a 96% percent should be reserved for the perfect game(s) that also is remarkable, and tries to do new stuff and such with the genre. A game such as Syberia 1 should imo get a 95% rating, and the same should a game like Planescape: Torment.

And while we're on the subject of ratings.

Here's an interesting view I found over at NoMutantsAllowed(NMA) earlier today:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/28

This TED guy says what I have been thinking for a long time. That in today' market, you need to get the hardcore fans exited about the game. He calls them 'the fringe market'. In the old days it was necessary to get the mainstream market (the guys in the middle) while today it is necessary to get guys around the edges - simply because they tend to spread 'the good word' about the products, or the book, the movie or the radioshow etc.

In Danish we have sort of proverb (or saying) that goes like this: 'you can't be friends with all' meaning that you need to get your values straight, both as a person and a company. If you don't do this, you will end up trying to please everyone, while you please no-one.

I have been definitely converted to the 'people over-think scores' camp, which is very liberating as a science & statistics guy since looking at the outcome of non-math people doing math had been driving me nuts ...

That said, evaluating an expansion should be put in the context of the original - if you really thought that Oblivion was 'best game EVAR' then a solid and polished expansion will definitely be impressive. I missed the bargain deal last week on it, so I'll hold for a bit until it comes up for cheap again ...

My IQ is over 20 (barely) and I didn't puke either. I love Oblivion, in spite of the level scaling. To be honest, you can deal with the level scaling without modding at all. Just bump the difficulty slider up a bit after level 6 or so. You'll need to bump it up again around level 12-15 depending on your build. I wouldn't suggest OOO, if all you want is level scaling. OOO changes a ton of things. You might try Francesco's mod instead. It's not as ambitious, but I haven't installed either mod in this playthrough. I can't judge Shivering Isles yet, because I started over and want to wait until level 15 or so before tackling the new content. I hadn't played the official plugins, so I bought Knights of the Nine. I really haven't accessed any of that stuff either though. I have two new pieces of property, but both are off the beaten path and I haven't bothered to go check them out. I will eventually. I probably won't play the Vile Lair mod with this character. Vampires aren't my thing. My favorite mod is the one that gives your horse saddlebags. This allows me a place to store my loot, alchemy, and spare equipment. I can visit two or three dungeons before Armored Black Horse gets too slow to move :)

JDR13, look up Oscuro's mod for Oblivion. It undoes the scaling.

And as for lockpicking, just click Auto if you don't like the minigame.

I took a good long look at Obscuro's mod but didn't care for it. It changes way too many things for my taste.

The mod that adds saddlebags sounds like a good mod also, especially for people who don't like to buy houses.

Then try mods that just adjust the level scaling, like francescos or similar.

I think my views on Oblivion are well known - I love the game and find it possible to enjoy RPing in it.

I have SI, and while I was always going to buy it to support Bethsoft, I'm not as impressed with it as I was with Oblivion. It's definitely catering more to fans of Morrowind, but I vastly preferred Daggerfall to Morrowind, hence also prefer Oblivion to Shivering Isles.

Re: fringe gamers, personally I don't think Bethsoft have abandoned them at all, rather they've brought mainstreamers into their otherwise fringe area. But if you still have misgivings there are still games like Gothic 3 and The Witcher :)

This review is pretty much bordering on the grotesque... I don't mind if people like a game, but if they are reviewing a game they should try to bit more objective. Talking about a "perfect expansion" doesn't let much space for improvement... But hey, that's the internet - every retard (me included) can pretty much write what he wants - it's not a bad concept really. If people fall for something like that - their bad.

The mod that adds saddlebags sounds like a good mod also, especially for people who don't like to buy houses.

The thing I like most about the saddlebags is that it saves me from heading back into town so often. If my house would travel around with me, that'd be cool. My goal is to visit every single location in the gameworld. It's easier to do if I don't have to fast travel back into town after every dungeon visit. I'm playing an Atronach character too, so the storage for all my Welkynd stones is appreciated. Those things get heavy if I have to carry a bunch around. I like Welkynd stones better than restore magicka potions because the recharge is instantaneous. Restore magicka is fine if I'm in a safe area but I don't want to be "training" 6 headless zombies and then find out that my magicka reserves are empty :)

Back
Top Bottom