DA2 Bioware bans player from playing DA2 for posting ill remark on Bioware forums

Dragon Age 2
It's like that there are rumors, it's quite clear that the guy that got banished gone quite more far than only saying his opinion clearly. There are many thread with many post listing flaws right or wrong and concluding the game is a total crap and Bioware a traitor. They don't get banished for that.

It's also quite stupid to choose Bioware/EA forums to lost control and civility. There's ton of other forums for that, like here or even more welcoming with such posts, the codex.

It's not about being banned. It's about not being able to play the game you paid for - which is why it's essential to point this specific thing out.

As for what's stupid - to use your word - I think you've got that covered in general, but I don't think it's productive to talk about here.

For this point I totally agree that there's a problem, it's a problem it's even been possible even if this is in license agreement. I'm not sure such stuff is fully legal.

But if you consider players sort of sheep nowadays, myself I noticed quite more that the level of hate has rise significantly those last 2 or 3 years. All this hysteria about a game makes no sense and for me the sheep are those that get grap into this, just on base of a demo, looks like a a crowd madness except it's a virtual crowd, which is quite singular.

Why are people hysterical only when they disagree with you?

Have you considered that because you really loved Dragon Age, it doesn't mean that everything by Bioware related to Dragon Age is necessarily good or right - and that voicing complaints against it doesn't have to mean you're hysterical?

I agree the banishment from forum shouldn't have an effect on game and bonus bought. That was my point with:

For this point I totally agree that there's a problem, it's a problem it's even been possible even if this is in license agreement. I'm not sure such stuff is fully legal.

For the hysteria it's the insistence people put in spiting their hate. I bought Dead Space, hate it, post once or twice about it, not more and removed the game, that's it and after I had better thing to take care of. The hysteria is about coming again and again spite how the game is a crap by judging only on a limited demo. It's possible that hysteria isn't the right world, let say instead over overeaction and pointless aggressive posts.

For about knowing what the game is, no you won't have any argument to justify the demo is enough for that.

EDIT: For the highly disappointed fans, well ok… but from a demo, and even its giving too much importance to a game or a series in this case. And yes it's overreaction, and this doesn't justify all the level of hate and persistence I have seen those last weeks, and even less about a demo, but not even about a full game.

Guys, you haven't "bought" a computer game (or probably any computer software) in like 20 years. Don't you read those *license* agreements that come with them? We lost this battle long ago.

Careful! You shouldn't apply US standards to other countries. ;)

People in many EU countries bought (or maybe even still buy) their software. In Germany for example a contract is only binding if it is known at the time of the purchase. Both parties have the same information and both agree to it. This means the EULA would have to be printed on a part of the box the customer can access without breaking a seal. Complicated stuff, but the point is: It's not necessarily valid just because the publisher writes it.

Careful! You shouldn't apply US standards to other countries. ;)

People in many EU countries bought (or maybe even still buy) their software. In Germany for example a contract is only binding if it is known at the time of the purchase. Both parties have the same information and both agree to it. This means the EULA would have to be printed on a part of the box the customer can access without breaking a seal. Complicated stuff, but the point is: It's not necessarily valid just because the publisher writes it.
The viscous part of it is when you register the game it ask you validate the Eula so I'm not sure that if you do it, that even in Germany the Eula is still invalid.

A point is that not every clauses will be considered legal, but what's legal or not is tricky and it's even more tricky if you try get a refund.

In the case of the forum case it's quite possible that the ban itself would be considered illegal because it involved the removal of the rights to use something bought. The problem here for EA would be to justify the ban is justified with the consequence of removing the rights to play the stuff bought.

There is a big difference between technically buying a license but owning the software outright for all intents and purposes and a company having total control over your access. I don't know what the point of "technically it was always a license" is... we all know that, the point is they now have the power to enforce that license when they never did before.

What's stopping them from requiring a "license renewal fee" to play older EA titles?

There is kind of a proverb out there, saying :

"Why do they do it ?"
"Because they can !"

And besides of this stuff : What I hate - personally - most, is, that companies use license terms and make them so as if they were valid in any country.

This is not at all the case, since different countries have different laws,
but the companies just do as if they were right (and this means : as if the terms were right in favour to them) in any case, in any country …

And with the constand use of these terms which rather read like U.S. license terms based on U.S. laws applicable in ANY country in the world - they do get people used to them.

No-one asks whether they are ACTUALLY applicable. The people get so much used to them like cows to grass - and they just don't even think anymore of the possibility that they could actually ue the companies if they were violating actual, country-specific laws.

I call this "judicial imperialism".

I'd love to see someone take on a EULA in a court of law; it would shake up the entire industry I'm sure!!

EULAs available only after buying the product are not valid at least here and probably in many other European countries.
EA never stops to amuse us , i think i read about hidden securom in DA2 that acts like a rootkit (hides) ... HAHA . On the "inappropriate language" topic to put it simple if EA was Mubarak they would have probably nuke the protesters and lock their ashes in dungeons.
I think the guy probably did it just for the bitching, it takes 2' to get a crack and save yourself all the registration /activation bullshit.
Bioware doesn't take criticism , after all they are more famous for their lockdowns rather than their games , i LOLed into wetness when they tried to patch musical theme 's composer statement that the game is rushed with the glorious "there are bugs in the music" HAHA damn those out of tune violas.

I'd love to see someone take on a EULA in a court of law; it would shake up the entire industry I'm sure!!

I agree. There's so much stuff in them ... I just can't understand they are trying it in the first place ...

Yes, this country-specific laws thing … There's currently a battle going on between LucasFilm and the original sculptor of he Stormtrooper helmets - in the UK.

According to British (and German) law, the sculptor holds the rights to what he or she sculpted.

Not so in the U.S. : There, everything seemingly automatically becomes property of the company you work for.

And the sculptor of the Stormtrooper helmts is a british guy, as far as I know - and the movies were filmes in th UK anyway.

So, both parties are batling eacjh other for many years now, and depending on where they do it, they win. The sculptor usually wins in the UK, LucasFilm usually wins in the U.S. … And so far they've not been able to stop him from selling his sculpts : The Stormtrooper helmets. He just in't allowed to call them so.

This is as far as I know it.

There is also a big difference between an MMO, which is much more obvious as a service, and a singleplayer piece of software.

According to British (and German) law, the sculptor holds the rights to what he or she sculpted.

Not so in the U.S. : There, everything seemingly automatically becomes property of the company you work for.

To clarify that, in the U.S. if you are paid by a company to create something, unless otherwise specified, the company retains the rights to it.

An example was the Bratz dolls. Apparently the guy that designed them originally designed them and pitched them to Mattel while working there. Mattel passed on the idea, and he eventually went off and started producing them with MGA entertainment. The court found that the creator, Carter Bryant, had been working for Mattel when he developed them, never got the rights for them and ruled in Mattel's favor. It's been reversed on appeal now, but it's not clear if the entire ruling will stand or just if the damage award will get redone.

Intellectual property is a very tricky part of the law.

Yes, it is.

Horrible, in my eyes, because it becomes more and more complicated.

And more and more lawyers live off this complicatedness.

Maybe that's why it has become so complicated in the first place ? ;)

Yes, it is.

Horrible, in my eyes, because it becomes more and more complicated.

And more and more lawyers live off this complicatedness.

Maybe that's why it has become so complicated in the first place ? ;)

Yeah, its definitely one of the worst areas of the law in terms of bureaucracy and cost. The whole software/hardware patent process is absurd in this country (not sure if any other countries are any better). My best friend is software development VP for a large hardware company and he told me once that when they have their strategic planning sessions, one of the main go/no-go points is an estimation of the inevitable IP lawsuits that will follow and whether the cost of defending those makes the project even worth it. Very sad state.

I read over the weekend that there's a proposal gaining speed to revise US patent law to "first filed" rather than "first created". Won't solve everything, but might take a small bite out of the legal monster.

I read over the weekend that there's a proposal gaining speed to revise US patent law to "first filed" rather than "first created". Won't solve everything, but might take a small bite out of the legal monster.

That seems like it would make it worse, but then maybe I just don't understand the legal jargon.

On the original topic note:

Steam user violates subscriber agreement, loses $1,800 in games

What happens if you violate Steam's Subscriber Agreement and you have a library of games worth nearly $2,000? As one user learned, you'll lose access to all of those games.

The user in question, who has a total of $1,794.52 worth of games on his or her Steam account, decided to ask how much another person might pay for such an account. "Obviously I don't want someone to pay $1,800 for my account," the gamer wrote on Reddit. "I'm looking at money of course, not full price considering I bought most of them on sale, but maybe we can come to some sort of deal...Of course if someone actually takes me up I'll be removing my credit card information from the account, along with my friends list."

That was a month ago. A little more than a week ago the user was unable to connect with Steam, and was later informed that the account had been disabled for violating the Steam Subscriber Agreement, which explicitly states "you may not sell or charge others for the right to use your account, or otherwise transfer your account." And according to this e-mail chain, the ban is permanent.

In a later Reddit post, the user claims he or she was simply "asking how much someone would pay for a profile like that" and that the account was never actually sold or traded. However, the intention to sell was clearly there, as another post reads "I WAS 'trying' to sell my Steam account on r/gameswap, but that was over a month ago, you can't even access the post now. What pisses me off is that they waited an entire month, up to last night, before disabling my account. They didn't even send me an email [explaining] why it was disabled, I was just logged off of Steam with no warning."

Ars has contacted Valve for comment and will update the story if we hear back.

HOLY CRAP

There is no reason an account (Steam, MMO, or otherwise) cannot be sold or traded other than that of greed on the part of the company in question. Why allow a user to sell another person your used goods when they can buy them new directly from you instead?

It's just another example of the "Digital Age" double standard. A consumer would never stand up for something like this with actual material products. Imagine a person trying to sell their used Chevy and having it impounded by GM instead.

At this point that would be way too radical a change in US Patent law. The status quo would be up in arms and besides "first filed" to me has always just seemed way to easy to abuse.

It's just another example of the "Digital Age" double standard. A consumer would never stand up for something like this with actual material products. Imagine a person trying to sell their used Chevy and having it impounded by GM instead.

After I bought a copy of the gold box on sale and didn't get another copy of TFT2 with it I learned a harsh reality of heavy handed DLC policies. I think after what happened to this guy I'll pay the extra for a disk copy whenever I can.

Back
Top Bottom