The Walking Dead !!

Sunday nights just arent good for me either, JD. I'm usually a zombie myself by about 9pm, I cant remember anything other than I have to work in the am.

It's better just to catch it on Friday, but i'm a week behind the convo tho.

I think some of you are kind of missing the point. The most logical action, or the most "obvious" one is easy to pick if you are a spectator. Place yourself in their position, though.

Your sister, the last living member of your family who is also very close to you. You see her die. You know she is bitten and will become a zombie, you know she will die. But at such moments you ain't thinking logical, you ain't clearheaded. You see a loved one die. Of course you break down, right? And you also wouldn't just kill a guy. Emotional feelings have the upper hand in such occasions. I think that The Walking Dead pictures these moments in a really, really good way.

Awesome episode, really really awesome. I'm anxious to see what happened to our one-handed friend.

Caught the replay of Episode 4 last night. Pretty good, although not quite as good as Ep 3 was.

I was a bit let down when the gang of big bad thugs ended up being a bunch of nobodies hanging out in a nursing home.

Also, how did Rick and his group get back to the camp so quickly on foot? If Mr one-hand racist redneck stole their van, where was he?

It was a pretty good episode, with the exception of
the nursing home stronghold. Too much of a turnaround, I'm sorry. Vato hoods are actually a bunch of granny loving saints, in the blink of an eye the whole thing's turned on it's head like that. Gimme a fuckin break, that just didnt work for me at all.
I personally would have been freaked out too by that guy digging, thinking that he was about to go all Jack Torrance on us or something.

The action was good in this one, and I'm liking that people are getting whacked. It keeps the suspense high - any run of the mill show, you always know that in the end the good guys will win and the bad guy loses. Not so in this case with some friendly heads rolling, anyone could theoretically die so it ramps it up a little.

I have to hand it to them when it comes to the zombie effects, theyre excellent! Great looking and creepy zombies, right down to their movements and deaths, they were all top notch this episode.

@ JDR - they did make some pretty good time, huh? LOL

off topic, but speaking of my good friend Jack Torrance, I couldnt help but go and watch a couple of my favorite scenes from the Shining
Jack and Lloyd
Jack and Delbert

Last edited:
So what did you guys think about Episode 5?

I liked it, especially….

The way they introduced the new character (CDC guy). I'm looking forward to hearing his story.

On a side note, I'm really starting to dislike Rick's friend/ex-cop partner (name?).

Yep, it was a pretty slow episode. Not bad though. Just a little more action would have been nice. The next episode is the last one for this season? Seems like they just got started. How are they going to get any closure for this season? Hope we don't have to wait until next fall for season 2.

So what did you guys think about Episode 5?

I liked it, especially….

The way they introduced the new character (CDC guy). I'm looking forward to hearing his story.

On a side note, I'm really starting to dislike Rick's friend/ex-cop partner (name?).

I liked it but....

They never even got close to the CDC or any explanation as to why people were transforming into zombies. I liked that about the novels. I think it's better to leave the audience in the dark about that and focus on just surviving the apocalypse.

I liked it but….

They never even got close to the CDC or any explanation as to why people were transforming into zombies. I liked that about the novels. I think it's better to leave the audience in the dark about that and focus on just surviving the apocalypse.

I generally agree, but I'm glad they're not following the comic exactly. That would make the show a lot less compelling for people who are already familiar with the written version.

I just caught up with a few episodes - really seems to getting back to the quality of the premier.

Comic Vine has a comparison of the series with the original.

Episodes 1-4
Episode 5

I really like how they are fleshing out the characters.

Well, y'all finally got me curious. Episode 5 was on late last night and they're repeating episodes 1-4 Sunday. I've got the DVR taping them all and we'll give it a spin.

I generally agree, but I'm glad they're not following the comic exactly. That would make the show a lot less compelling for people who are already familiar with the written version.

Like I said I did like it, but not following the novel is one thing. Changing a major plot point is quite another.

If in the next episode we learn what kind of disease it is or even if it is a disease I will be extremely disappointed. Even now the comics are hinting at what is the cause, but never flat out said that it was a disease or what kind or if aliens brought it or what.

Truthfully, I don't want to know. There is no explanation that would make any kind of sense because zombies can not exist. I can stretch my imagination only so far before they start to lose me. So unless they throw in some magical elements into the series, I have a feeling we are going to get some scientific mumbo jumbo thrown at us which will make no sense. Just leave it a mystery and deal with surviving in the hellish wasteland. That's what makes the comic so great. They weren't trying to figure out a cure or whatever. They were just trying to survive.

i don't intent to flame but why exactly

they incapacitate/kill/try to kill people that can fight in favour of people that can not , i mean the asshole guy was lost to protect a pussy , the wife beater was lost because he beaten his cry baby wife , the deputy was ready to waste Rick like the skinny madam with the wet eyes will ever be able to cover his back , they lost their guns to rescue a moaning kid , 4 of them got on a suicide mission to save 1 guy that was probably dead

??

To put it politely the zombies are looking smarter, no?

It's called "drama", Tragos. That's what keeps a show going, and gives people things to talk about later. People always doing the smartest or more sensible thing makes for bad television!

I'm enjoying it so far, tho Rick does kinda annoy me at times w/ his "gotta help everyone/everyone is equal" approach to at all times. Granted, there's decisions that piggyback on others, for instance the Merle/Guns decision, still…. it makes it seem unrealistic. I know what I'd do, and I project that on the characters. Merle's rooftop situation wouldnt have given me about ten seconds of thought before I decided "Tough luck for him"…

Jess disagreees and thinks this is because Rick is a cop, and as his chosen lifestyle that's what is essential to his character. His concern is public welfare, his training and mindset is to be selfless to some degree. That's what he knows - help others.
Me, I just find it kinda annoying hollywood hero syndrome and a little too goody-two-shoes and corny for me in the face of the friggen apolcalypse. If the shit hits the fan, chances are I'd become a pretty mean and unfeeling bastard toward anyone that showed any kind of animosity toward me or my crew or it's survival. They'd be dead, period. Again I'm projecting myself into that role, but I'm just speaking realistically.

And I'm sorry, the granny lovers still stick in my craw as an absolutely ridiculous plot angle and hamfisted attempt to add some noble and heroic racial minorities into the picture for good measure. Jess was facepalming on that one as well.

Last edited:
And I'm sorry, the granny lovers still stick in my craw as an absolutely ridiculous plot angle and hamfisted attempt to add some noble and heroic racial minorities into the picture for good measure. Jess was facepalming on that one as well.

Looks like Kirkman might have had a hand in this -

"“Vatos” was also the first episode written by Robert Kirkman"

According to this interview. However, the interview goes on to talk about how the writing is a group effort.

I read the series has hit Germany now as well.
It's not my cup of tea, though, so to say.

Back
Top Bottom