Beamdog - Infinity Games Console Release Dated - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Beamdog - Infinity Games Console Release Dated

Default Beamdog - Infinity Games Console Release Dated

June 6th, 2019, 10:43
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Actually, CD Projekt didn't start out "editing existing versions of games". They started out as a game distributor. Later on they moved into localization, but equating that with enhanced editions etc is pretty silly. To be honest, besides being wrong about the history with CDPR (distributor/localizer) and CDPR Red (game developer), the whole argument you presented seems incredibly weird and pointless. For starters, Beamdog still hasn't even released what I'd call a real game - only a DLC (or expansion, if you prefer) for a BioWare game. But the whole number of years thing - wow, who cares?
No shit it's weird and pointless! That was the point of the original argument!
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 10:44
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Here you referred to people who dislike Beamdog (yes, I dislike Beamdog) with the assumption that the root cause is irrational.
Yeah, you just verified what I said in my previous post. Not sure what the point of that was, but thank you.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 11:03
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yeah, you just verified what I said in my previous post. Not sure what the point of that was, but thank you.
No, it shows you bundled me as one of those who you assume have "irrational" dislike for Beamdog because you simply can't fathom to see other people's point of view.

But whatever I'm going to drop it since someone will ask to go back on the topic.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 11:07
So you guys can judge and call my opinion/value/thoughts as "fallacy" or "bias" but I can't judge Beamdog.
^This is yet another fallacy. No ever said you can't judge Beamdog.

Here are a few of the many fallacies presented in this entertaining thread:

Straw man

Slippery Slope

And I also see hints of:

Gaslighting

(for those of you who identify with that last one, probably time to see a couples therapist, if you're in a relationship)
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 12:38
But whatever I'm going to drop it since someone will ask to go back on the topic.
I was indeed about to ask something like that. Let's just follow purple's example and drop this specific part of the discussion.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 14:24
The goodness of it depends on the interface. People say Larian did a decent job but I've heard of some pretty poor jobs (thankfully I don't play consoles so no first hand experience
-
Time will tell - or has someone here played the beta ?

I can't imagine playing the IE games with a gamepad, but this is still a good thing.

There's a significant % of gamers who exclusively game on consoles, and now they'll have a chance to play some classic RPGs that they otherwise might never have tried.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 14:28
Maybe if Beamdog added a slow mode like Tower of Time it would be easier to play on console.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 15:34
I suspect Tower of Time may have redefined a new aspect of game enjoyment, we'll see in the next few years if other projects follow suit.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 16:10
Didnít they have concept art out (or contracted an artist with work credited to a Beamdog project) of like a golden armoured minotaur, among other things? Iím sure it was some kind of fantasy steampunk RPG. Whatever happened to that game.

TheSnarkyShaman

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 16:41
Originally Posted by TheSnarkyShaman View Post
Didnít they have concept art out (or contracted an artist with work credited to a Beamdog project) of like a golden armoured minotaur, among other things? Iím sure it was some kind of fantasy steampunk RPG. Whatever happened to that game.
One word Cancelled. Well more then one.

Basically lack of funds and wasted talent.
--
ďProgress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.Ē ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 17:09
Despite Beamdog being founded by a Bioware veteran, Larian has a number of obvious advantages over Beamdog when it comes to making a Baldur's Gate 3. They've actually made not one, but four isometric rpgs, and two of them were party based (I'm not even counting Beyond Divinity even though it had a 2 person party). With the exception of Beyond Divinity all of them were critically succesful and the two D:OS games actually made tons of money and won GOTY awards. They did all of that without the D&D licence. They already have a successful engine in place. They have many more employees, and have the means to make such a game without having to bring in extra help. In short there is no way anyone can doubt that they have the capacity to complete such a game. With Beamdog I'd say a lot of those things are in doubt. I enjoyed Siege of Dragonspear, but they used a lot of old assets, the expansion can hardly be called modern, and I think it was only moderately successful. I'm not saying they couldn't make a good Baldur's Gate game, but I think its a much bigger gamble than letting Larian develop it would be.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 18:43
[edit: lol ok never mind, I'll shut up about it too then at Myrthos's request. The mystery remains!]
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 19:17
*Edit* On second thought, someone already has their panties in a bunch. We'll leave it at that.
Last edited by JDR13; June 6th, 2019 at 19:38.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 6th, 2019, 19:20
I'm angry about something, too. But I refuse to say why.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 6th, 2019, 19:22
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
Despite Beamdog being founded by a Bioware veteran, Larian has a number of obvious advantages over Beamdog when it comes to making a Baldur's Gate 3. They've actually made not one, but four isometric rpgs, and two of them were party based (I'm not even counting Beyond Divinity even though it had a 2 person party). With the exception of Beyond Divinity all of them were critically succesful and the two D:OS games actually made tons of money and won GOTY awards. They did all of that without the D&D licence. They already have a successful engine in place. They have many more employees, and have the means to make such a game without having to bring in extra help. In short there is no way anyone can doubt that they have the capacity to complete such a game. With Beamdog I'd say a lot of those things are in doubt. I enjoyed Siege of Dragonspear, but they used a lot of old assets, the expansion can hardly be called modern, and I think it was only moderately successful. I'm not saying they couldn't make a good Baldur's Gate game, but I think its a much bigger gamble than letting Larian develop it would be.
Er…ok? Not sure how that has anything to do with this thread, but cool.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 6th, 2019, 20:24
ErÖok? Not sure how that has anything to do with this thread, but cool.
Well, it was indirectly connected to my thought on why Beamdog keeps on doing these ports rather than something new. To be able to do something new they'd need some financing to do so. But that doesn't seem like its going to happen and there are reasons for it.

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

June 6th, 2019, 20:43
Well, it was indirectly connected to my thought on why Beamdog keeps on doing these ports rather than something new. To be able to do something new they'd need some financing to do so. But that doesn't seem like its going to happen and there are reasons for it.
They have their niche, and they're good at it. I see no reason for them to change their current strategy if it's working for them. I think you're fabricating reasons why they're not doing a new game when that simply might not be their goal right now.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 6th, 2019, 21:42
They have their niche, and they're good at it. I see no reason for them to change their current strategy if it's working for them. I think you're fabricating reasons why they're not doing a new game when that simply might not be their goal right now.
So you don't think they'd prefer to be working a new game? I find that a surprising viewpoint.

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

June 6th, 2019, 21:44
So you don't think they'd prefer to be working a new game? I find that a surprising viewpoint.
I think they prefer having a solid business model. Theirs seems to be working for them. I'm not sure what's surprising about that.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 7th, 2019, 14:39
I don't mind Beamdog, and I certainly can't be opposed to them bringing my favorite RPGs to a wider audience. As said by others before, I also can't imagine playing the IE games with a controller, but who knows, maybe they'll make it work?

I wouldn't mind an original D&D game by them, but I can't say I'm sad that Larian got BG3.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Beamdog - Infinity Games Console Release Dated