"Game of Thrones" to premiere in 2011 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » "Game of Thrones" to premiere in 2011

Default "Game of Thrones" to premiere in 2011

January 2nd, 2011, 19:06
"Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun."

HBO's new series, "Game of Thrones", after George R.R. martin's best-seller "A song of Ice and Fire" series, will air in 2011 (according to the website around April).

I, for one, started reading the books a few years back, and was very impressed. I always thought "Please, make this into a movie/serie". And now that wish is fulfilled. I really hope this will turn out to be a great series.

Any thoughts, hopes, troubles?

Neo

Lone Wolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2011, 19:19
Sounds great, looking forward to it. Unfortunately Martin hasn't a clue where he his taking the books and he clearly doesn't have the motivation to progress the series. I thought Feast for Crows kind of sucked compared to his early work. It looks like Jordan all over again. Curious what HBO plans to do about that, or are they just doing the "in the universe" stories. Knowing HBO it will be a AAA production, so I have hopes. Heck I think HBO could do a better job than Martin at this point!
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

January 5th, 2011, 14:49
God I hope they won;t screw it like Peter Jackson did with LOTR.

bloodlover

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 5th, 2011, 15:28
His first books was superb, second one was really good, third one was……….

As for Jordan…. I just ordered the last book in the series which is based on his note… I think WOT is by far the best book series ever written.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

January 5th, 2011, 19:05
Having become somewhat of an expert on WoT, thanks to running that server for so long, I for one know its not one of the best. I will say its a different take on fantasy - though it borrows heavily from, well, everything. RJ admitted it was meant to be 6 books and that's about what it should have been - he's clearly dragged it out and let it run away from him even. The last book is pretty good but I'm surprised it wasn't on the NY Bestseller list in December.

RJ had suggested Martin pick up the WoT series after he was gone. He was very impressed by the GoT but I've resisted picking it up. People who have complained about the time between RJ's books (that is, his unwillingness to resolve anything and create new threads) have told me GoT is worse in those regards.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

January 6th, 2011, 14:53
I decided not to read these books - at one point I decided not to read "excellent" books at all.

Because reading them with place the bar higher over which I would have to "jump" if I want to be successful as a writer, too.

I couldn't be "natural" again, as a writer.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

January 7th, 2011, 16:27
, I for one know its not one of the best. I will say its a different take on fantasy - though it borrows heavily from, well, everything. RJ admitted it was meant to be 6 books and that's about what it should have been - he's clearly dragged it out and let it run away from him even.
Running what server? ( out of curiosity )

Anyway I strongly disagree…. while he has borrowed many things…. ( but so does more or less every writer alive ) he have created the most living and believable and unique world that has ever existed IMHO.

While there is a part of the series which is a bit slow, I'd still say it has very few dull moments. A lot of people also complained the plot didn't advance enough.. but if you read carefully and think… it keeps advancing and almost everything has a point and a reason when it all comes together. An example was the last book he wrote before he died…. people complained too little happend. But I immideitly saw how it was a setup for the last battle and just how much advancement was made. The second last book based on his notes and written by Sanderson was almost without dull moments and one of the best in the series…… I am really anticipating the final book… I have ordered the english version here…. but delivery is TOOOOO slow!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » "Game of Thrones" to premiere in 2011