Non-RPG General News - Article 13 Approved By EU - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - Article 13 Approved By EU

Default Non-RPG General News - Article 13 Approved By EU

March 29th, 2019, 10:52
This whole business sounds like a case of we know best. The EU have had plenty of advice from global players in technology on how this would affect not just their business but the wider internet. That the EU has chosen to ignore that advice tells me that they are arrogant and out of touch.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

March 29th, 2019, 13:03
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
This whole business sounds like a case of we know best. The EU have had plenty of advice from global players in technology on how this would affect not just their business but the wider internet. That the EU has chosen to ignore that advice tells me that they are arrogant and out of touch.
What? EU is arrogant to vote the law it wants to vote without listening to fucking sociopaths like Google or FB? What is your problem, mate? Are you fucking brainwashed?

Did anyone ask you if NZ had the right to vote any law banning some kind of guns without asking US NRA if that was good or not?
Hello?

EU has to submit to FB or Google? Tip for you, if Google or FB scream someone is killing liberty or privacy it just means than someone is going after their business, nothing fucking else.

YT has stopped to push videos about "Earth is flat" or "Darwin is wrong" and FB is momentarily censuring videos about ISIS beheading or NZ terrorist attacks to replace that with "EU is bad" and you squeal with delight? Puppet.

Sure EU is going after them. Google has paid more in fines than it had paid in taxes worldwide. And sure there is no plan for that to stop.

ChatMiauleur

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

March 29th, 2019, 13:45
Eh?

Google has cold AI that blocks content automatically without asking anything. The same AI cannot and won't ever know if the content is actually, let's take for example, a videogame review.
In other words, thanks to this vote, EU audience will most probably be disallowed from watching Angry Joe's game reviews on YouTube. He'll use a few seconds of Anthem footage where AI will just declare it's some content that belongs to EA, needs to be blocked.

EU is not going after whomever, it aims to protect only huge corporations and corruption. Based on the vote result one would say EU believes machines are already sentient Terminator robots, but not really, it's all about licking feet of big fat companies.
On the paper "the law" looks good - fair use is allowed per it. In the real world on the other hand, with current capabilities of "AI" bots, it'll have the same effect as censorship. EU MEPs know this will happen, but don't care. Okay, not all of course, some voted against it.
Or maybe they don't know a simple bot can issue as many DMCA requests it wants to block something and that content will be instablocked without any question? Currently, no AI asks if one who "protested" is actually a content owner, blocking happens automatically.

This doesn't mean everything will go down the drain, a written review that points out lootbox scams won't be censored by any bot - assuming it doesn't use any screenshot from a game. But in this century, who'd read such review?
That's the reason why article 13 (now 17) spawned articles "the end of internet as we know it".
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; March 29th, 2019 at 13:58.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

March 29th, 2019, 14:28
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
EU is not going after whomever, it aims to protect only huge corporations and corruption. Based on the vote result one would say EU believes machines are already sentient Terminator robots, but not really, it's all about licking feet of big fat companies.
ChatMiauleur does have a valid point. EU is protecting the publishers and copyright holders, but certainly not Google, Facebook & Co. And indeed EU officials have publicly stated that the directive is supposed to target those providers. These platforms may have filters in place, but as you have correctly pointed out, automatic filters are unreliable. They will have to be more restrictive about user-provided content - content that constitutes the sole reason why anyone visits their sites in the first place. So article 13/17 stands to hurt their business model, and protestors, as legitimate as their grievances are, have been singing Google's song. Odd alliancesÖ

Platform users and medium-sized platforms are just the collateral damage in this.

Atrachasis

Watcher

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

March 29th, 2019, 16:58
It's worse even than that. *Only* mega-platforms like YouTube and FaceBook have the resources, human or AI, to police this shit at scale. This effectively means that no new competition can arise, and that independent or even medium-sized platforms are pushed out of the game entirely. I have no idea what their real intention was (maybe it's exactly what they said), but the effect is to create an even worse monopoly on these services.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal | Stygian | Realms Beyond
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Urtuk: The Desolation

screeg

floating head
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

March 29th, 2019, 18:04
In theory I understand wanting to protect intellectual property and journalists, who are suffering because of the way internet news works.

But as others have said there is no way for many websites to police this and there will be plenty of lawyers who make it their job to look for anything anywhere where they can sue. This is once again a case of not trying to change to fit into changing times, but trying to force things backwards. In most cases things like this don't turn out like expected, and often turn out catastrophic. We will see how things go, but I am rather pessimistic that anyone will profit from this situation except lawyers.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

March 29th, 2019, 19:18
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
This is once again a case of not trying to change to fit into changing times, but trying to force things backwards. In most cases things like this don't turn out like expected, and often turn out catastrophic. We will see how things go, but I am rather pessimistic that anyone will profit from this situation except lawyers.
You are certainly right there. As nice as the concept sounds in theory - "strengthen those who actually create content against platforms that make billions with the content others post" -, it does ignore the fact that the Web 2.0 has altered the way content is being created and distributed. Platforms do play a crucial role in that process, and Web 2.0 content is predominantly derivative in nature - always quoting, referencing, reviewing, criticizing, regurgitating…

OK, I'm not really a fan of the web 2.0, as you might guess from that choice of words, so if this decision was to encourage more original content and fewer memes, that would at least be a silver lining for me. But most likely, as you have pointed out, it will just mean greater dominance of big publishers and platforms (albeit it will still hurt the latter) that are able to spin a web of licence agreements.

Atrachasis

Watcher

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

March 30th, 2019, 07:18
Originally Posted by ChatMiauleur View Post
What? EU is arrogant to vote the law it wants to vote without listening to fucking sociopaths like Google or FB? What is your problem, mate? Are you fucking brainwashed?

Did anyone ask you if NZ had the right to vote any law banning some kind of guns without asking US NRA if that was good or not?
Hello?

EU has to submit to FB or Google? Tip for you, if Google or FB scream someone is killing liberty or privacy it just means than someone is going after their business, nothing fucking else.

YT has stopped to push videos about "Earth is flat" or "Darwin is wrong" and FB is momentarily censuring videos about ISIS beheading or NZ terrorist attacks to replace that with "EU is bad" and you squeal with delight? Puppet.

Sure EU is going after them. Google has paid more in fines than it had paid in taxes worldwide. And sure there is no plan for that to stop.
Well that wasn't a pleasant read. I'm not a google or facebook fan so cool your jets. Yes they should pay more tax. I'm nobodies puppet and I don't support censorship.

The EU got plenty of advice that this is a bad idea from everyone concerned. The people who get technology that is. Old fuddy duddies who don't understand technology should not be making laws about technology. Luckily the EU elections are coming up so it should be interesting.

As for the gun law comment its a cheap shot. My government is censoring things like crazy and looking at introducing UK style hate speech laws. I'm sure nothing will go wrong with that ever…I wish.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

March 31st, 2019, 12:04
Originally Posted by Tiptoe View Post
This is really scary. I know some of the streamers I watch (who are based in the EU) are very worried.
Probably a way for them to feel relieved the government still works for them anfd give them preferential ways of doing business.

Streamers usually receive keys from devs so they stream the product devs make. The agreement is built in.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

March 31st, 2019, 12:10
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
It's worse even than that. *Only* mega-platforms like YouTube and FaceBook have the resources, human or AI, to police this shit at scale. This effectively means that no new competition can arise, and that independent or even medium-sized platforms are pushed out of the game entirely. I have no idea what their real intention was (maybe it's exactly what they said), but the effect is to create an even worse monopoly on these services.
It is made for the little guy. Smaller structures will network with each other instead of relying of externalities coming from larger structures.

Instead of fishing articles from giant news network, this site will rely on articles provided by members, acquaintances etc

The way to build an economy from bottom to top the US American style.
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

March 31st, 2019, 20:39
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Probably a way for them to feel relieved the government still works for them anfd give them preferential ways of doing business.

Streamers usually receive keys from devs so they stream the product devs make. The agreement is built in.
Thatís not really the case.
For the big and successful ones, yeah, you are right. But for every big streamer there are dozens of small ones, and getting a key isnít really a thing. Which makes sense as otherwise nobody would buy it. You need to have a certain success in order to be granted a key, if at all.

And the issue is not only the restriction of what is not allowed. The issue is that a filter would not be able to tell if you have the permission or not. So even if you have a key/permission to do it, the filter might block you as it cannot know.

So it could be possible that we get the same situation as on youtube a year ago, when they disabled monetization on all channels which have less than 1000 subs as they arenít deemed trustworthy anymore. Could be possible that twitch only allows streaming by individuals which are backed by big networks or companies. Almost like old days on steam where you needed a publisher who already had products on steam in order to publish an own new game there.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

April 1st, 2019, 10:54
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
The way to build an economy from bottom to top the US American style.
Wrong.
Censorship economy is China style. Not USA style.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

April 1st, 2019, 17:46
Censoring is preventing people from uploading unpermitted material.

Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
So it could be possible that we get the same situation as on youtube a year ago, when they disabled monetization on all channels which have less than 1000 subs as they arenít deemed trustworthy anymore. Could be possible that twitch only allows streaming by individuals which are backed by big networks or companies. Almost like old days on steam where you needed a publisher who already had products on steam in order to publish an own new game there.
Twitch monetizes differently.

Lowly followed streamers, those who did not achieve affiliate status, make no revenues worth chasing.

Affiliates and partners are visible enough they receive keys.

Twitch streamed content is determined, vid products, streamers usually do not stream other material than the one they announce.

Twitch makes money off streaming they will broke a deal with devs, any vid product accepted on the platform consents its own broadcast.

Streaming is different from Yt video content.
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

April 1st, 2019, 17:49
Ah, my bad. I have no idea about how twitch works, but yeah: While you mentioned streamers I was focusing on youtube content creators.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

April 1st, 2019, 17:56
A different story yt vid content providers often mix content from various ip sources.

Streamers usually stream one source only, which is easy to track.
Sometimes, streamers record YT content live from their Twitch sessions and are focused on avoiding ip pollution.

Infringers can be dealt with easily by banning them from streaming after the act.
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - Article 13 Approved By EU