The Anthem Thread

There isn't a henchman party system akin to GW1, is there? Always enjoyed that tactical side to the game.

No AI party members, no. Well, you will encounter NPCs that aid you in combat - but you don't have any control over them.

With that said, the way the game is set up - the people you encounter when matchmaking will play much like AI party members. Of course, with a variety of skill levels :)

That said, it's the least intrusive matchmaking experience I've had in the genre. It just works - and the game does a pretty good job at communicating what you're supposed to do, so people rarely have the opportunity to get in the way.

For instance, I've yet to play a game where I wasn't ressed eventually when downed. The game clearly shows your party members that you're down - and it's painfully clear that all players need to be alive for success to be likely, so people just naturally do that sort of thing.

Obviously, the best way to play is with friends - but that goes without saying.

I read about inscriptions not working properly, though I have to think some of them did as I had a bigger ammo count on my Devastator than what I initially started with (I think the default is 5).

I discovered recently that the Colossus heavy weapon, specifically the Torrent, actually consume two ammo at the cost of one bullet. In other words, if you had 200 ammo in a magazine or clip, your ammo counter would decrease by two even if you only fired one bullet. This means the loaded magazine/clip and the reserve are effectively halved. I was a little upset by this because I rather enjoy the Torrent, but I'm noticeably low on ammunition all the time. Hopefully that's addressed. It's a strong rifle, but as a heavy weapon unique to the Colossus, it doesn't really warrant the exclusivity.

I'm hoping to hit 30 tonight to see if I can jump into some Grand Master 1 difficulty and possibly aim for better loot. I'm pretty sure I left off around 380 power or so. I've been defeated on hard mode a few times, but not an incredible amount, and I'm wondering if Grand Master 1 is a massive jump or not.

I read about inscriptions not working properly, though I have to think some of them did as I had a bigger ammo count on my Devastator than what I initially started with (I think the default is 5).

That's because that inscription isn't suit-wide - but specific to that weapon :)

I don't know about ice damage/effects - but I would assume that's considered suit-wide.

I'm hoping to hit 30 tonight to see if I can jump into some Grand Master 1 difficulty and possibly aim for better loot. I'm pretty sure I left off around 380 power or so. I've been defeated on hard mode a few times, but not an incredible amount, and I'm wondering if Grand Master 1 is a massive jump or not.

Well, as soon as I discovered that loot drops were better in Hard mode, I switched. It was a little rough for the first mission or two - but you adapt.

I also think combat is much more intense when it's challenging, but that's probably more down to personal preference.

Fights involving multiple Ash Titans, for instance, can be incredibly frustrating - but I think it's about adapting, and it's a very new game.

Usually, it's just a matter of practicing :)

@Darth: what do you think of SkillUp's review? He's usually very spot-on with his reviews. It's a pretty negative review, mind you. From the little I played, I'd say I did not like the campaign, so I'm with him on that, but I quite liked the combat, which he didn't. Except for the not knowing from where is someone shooting at me, and then finding myself almost dead with no course than to duck behind a rock to recharge my shield. I particularly didn't like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhe76p6Tiro

Last edited:
@Darth: what do you think of SkillUp's review? He's usually very spot-on with his reviews. It's a pretty negative review, mind you. From the little I played, I'd say I did not like the campaign, so I'm with him on that, but I quite liked the combat, which he didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhe76p6Tiro

I think it's fundamentally misinformed and biased against anything that's not traditionally Bioware.

From the very beginning of the review, he's demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the genre. Also, he seems to think Bioware "invented" the CRPG genre with Baldur's Gate - which, to me, is laughably ignorant.

The genre was invented decades before Baldur's Gate.

As for the campaign, I'd say it's middling - but story is always entirely subjective. There's no right or wrong answer there.

You can take every single one of the looter shooters, including the most popular ones like Destiny, Division and Warframe - and you'll find that all of the story content is middling at best - according to most people.

Same goes for the origins of the genre, which would be games like Diablo.

Story was never EVER the point of this genre, and the fact that it's a Bioware game changes nothing about that.

But combat and the core moment-to-moment gameplay is, essentially, unmatched within this subgenre.

I honestly don't understand how anyone who's played the game thoroughly and with an open mind could possibly deny how good it is.

But, such is the way of things.

Visuals and sound effects are both positively superb. I don't care who you are and how much or little you know about games. If you can't see how beautiful it is - and how powerful the sounds are - you shouldn't be talking from a position of authority. You should be seeking medical attention.

From my point of view, a lot of people and critics were set up to dislike the game even before it launched.

I can only speculate as to why that is, but my guess is that most people don't like EA and confuse the publisher with the developer. Well, that and the fact that Bioware is not repeating themselves yet again but are trying something new, with a new IP.

In short, I think it's a terrible review.

From the very beginning of the review, he's demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the genre. Also, he seems to think Bioware "invented" the CRPG genre with Baldur's Gate - which, to me, is laughably ignorant.

Yeah, I forgot to mention to ignore that part. :biggrin:

Story was never EVER the point of this genre, and the fact that it's a Bioware game changes nothing about that.

Well, I'm not sure about that. I certainly went into it at least hoping a good bioware story. Which yeah, might be wrong, considering it's a different kind of game. But it is what it is.

But combat and the core moment-to-moment gameplay is, essentially, unmatched within this subgenre.
The only issue I had, for the little I played, was that fights always come to a situation where I'm almost dead, and not sure who's firing at me. If they had more dodge-able projectiles this would have been alleviated more I think. Also, playing as a Storm, I constantly had to fight from afar, and then had to fly into the frey to get my life back, since life orbs drop at the enemies feet. That also kind of annoyed me.

Well, I'm not sure about that. I certainly went into it at least hoping a good bioware story. Which yeah, might be wrong, considering it's a different kind of game. But it is what it is.

Are you going into Division expecting the same thing?

The story in Anthem is ok - nothing more. At least, to me. But the lore of the world is extensive - and there are MANY NPCs to talk to. I've ignored most of them, though - as I don't really play the game for a story.

But if I had to compare it to other looter shooters, it's definitely a step above them all.

The only issue I had, for the little I played, was that fights always come to a situation where I'm almost dead, and not sure who's firing at me. If they had more dodge-able projectiles this would have been alleviated more I think. Also, playing as a Storm, I constantly had to fight from afar, and then had to fly into the frey to get my life back, since life orbs drop at the enemies feet. That also kind of annoyed me.

The game is challenging compared to many other games, but it's also extremely rewarding if you put in the effort.

I certainly felt myself getting better and better constantly.

To me, that's a sign of great game design.

Then again, I rarely enjoy games without a challenge component.

You can dodge almost everything in the game, it just takes practice.

Again, the review in question is terrible and the guy doesn't have a clue.

Are you going into Division expecting the same thing?

Not really, more along the lines of Division 1. Massive didn't exactly have a story-focused pedigree.

Anyways, I agree that the reviewers/community seem to have a bone to pick with EA. But I also see things that I cannot but agree with. But it's mostly about the singleplayer campaign. And even though I know that's not the main point of a looter-shooter, that would be my main reason to play it. That's the main reason I'm considering getting Division 2. I like to explore the world and play the story at least once.

Not really, more along the lines of Division 1. Massive didn't exactly have a story-focused pedigree.

Anyways, I agree that the reviewers/community seem to have a bone to pick with EA. But I also see things that I cannot but agree with. But it's mostly about the singleplayer campaign. And even though I know that's not the main point of a looter-shooter, that would be my main reason to play it. That's the main reason I'm considering getting Division 2. I like to explore the world and play the story at least once.

Well, I've been pretty clear in my comments about Anthem from the beginning.

I do NOT recommend getting it for the story.

Also, I would never recommend Division or Division 2 for the story either.

Well, I don't know the story of Division 2 - but I expect it to be more of the same.

Both Anthem and Division are more about the setting and lore than the actual story, I think.

I think the world of Anthem is beautiful and fascinating - but it's just a backdrop.

Division 2 probably wins out in that way, though - because I find it so staggeringly well executed and I think modern-world recreations of that caliber are so rare.

Anthem, while beautiful, doesn't feel quite as unique.

However, the experience of combat and the fluidity of the gameplay is just way beyond games like Division - so there's a trade-off.

I have room in my heart for many, many great games :)

Well, I've been pretty clear in my comments about Anthem from the beginning.

I do NOT recommend getting it for the story.

Also, I would never recommend Division or Division 2 for the story either.

Well, I don't know the story of Division 2 - but I expect it to be more of the same.

Both Anthem and Division are more about the setting and lore than the actual story, I think.

Yeah, I know. But that's fine with me. If I can have some fun exploring the world I think that's enough for me. At least if I have nothing else more pressing to play.

Again, the review in question is terrible and the guy doesn't have a clue.
Seems like a good review, to me. He touches on a lot of aspects, compares it to other games in the genre in a meaningful way, mentions a lot of what I'd already observed watching 3 or 4 hours of a streamer playing.

I think you just don't agree with his opinion, but the review itself is long and thorough and apparently only the first part. It's a good review.

I was hyped when the game was announced and was ready to get a Premier sub just to play it early. Unfortunately, I was bored of the footage in a few hours. I feel like I'm the target audience, having played and enjoyed all the looter-shooters except Division, but it failed to win me over, despite your glowing recommendation!

However, the clips he shows from Division 2 look fairly decent and considering the "end-game first" focus to development I read about yesterday I might end up giving this one a shot.

Seems like a good review, to me. He touches on a lot of aspects, compares it to other games in the genre in a meaningful way, mentions a lot of what I'd already observed watching 3 or 4 hours of a streamer playing.

I think you just don't agree with his opinion, but the review itself is long and thorough and apparently only the first part. It's a good review.

I was hyped when the game was announced and was ready to get a Premier sub just to play it early. Unfortunately, I was bored of the footage in a few hours. I feel like I'm the target audience, having played and enjoyed all the looter-shooters except Division, but it failed to win me over, despite your glowing recommendation!

However, the clips he shows from Division 2 look fairly decent and considering the "end-game first" focus to development I read about yesterday I might end up giving this one a shot.

Are you sure that's not just something your friends told you? :)

When and if you actually play the game - I will consider your perception of what it's like to play as something to pay attention to.

So far, you've demonstrated, again and again, that you base your opinions on zero personal experience - and you seem to rely on friends and strangers to confirm your uninformed gut feeling.

To me, that's an interesting position from which to speak with authority.

But it's little more than that :)

I can only speculate as to why that is, but my guess is that most people don't like EA and confuse the publisher with the developer. Well, that and the fact that Bioware is not repeating themselves yet again but are trying something new, with a new IP.

BioWare entered a state where they can't win with "reviewers".

When they do their "game design by numbers" people complains it's all the "same old, same old" and that they can't innovate or do things differently.

When they do something different and add innovative features, people complains the "old" BioWare is dead and EA is going to close them down in the near future because the last game wasn't like the old ones and tus bad*.

*Not even joking, a saw a (clickbait) article about DA4 getting cancelled soon because Anthem isn't getting overwhelming positive reviews.

BioWare entered a state where they can't win with "reviewers".

When they do their "game design by numbers" people complains it's all the "same old, same old" and that they can't innovate or do things differently.

When they do something different and add innovative features, people complains the "old" BioWare is dead and EA is going to close them down in the near future because they found the last game not as good as the old ones*.

*Not even joking, a saw a (clickbait) article about DA4 getting cancelled soon because Anthem isn't getting overwhelming positive reviews.

Yeah, I think it's a hard battle for them to win.

I don't know how much of it is about EA and how much of it is just the average whining outraged gamer.

It's no secret that I loved Andromeda - warts and all. Even if I didn't love it - I think it's obvious to anyone with a hint of a brain that it wasn't THAT bad.

Anthem, who is to say - I certainly think it's a great foundation that can only improve.

But I guess gamers are no longer capable of thinking for themselves and forming their own opinions.

It seems to be a big circle-jerk competition on who can take a dump on what the fastest.

This isn't just true for EA/Bioware, but now also includes everything touched by ZeniMax, Activision, Blizzard and so on.

I guess all developers funded by big companies are just bad by default.

Oh well, how sad.

Are you sure that's not just something your friends told you? :)
I don't really have any friends. :oops:

When and if you actually play the game - I will consider your perception of what it's like to play as something to pay attention to.
Well, I've played similar games. Anthems $89.95 spent on Warframe would remove all your issues. Don't want to farm for a frame? Just buy it! Don't want to wait 72 hours for your gear to finish crafting? Rush it. It certainly can't be completed in 10-15 hours.

So far, you've demonstrated, again and again, that you base your opinions on zero personal experience - and you seem to rely on friends and strangers to confirm your uninformed gut feeling.
No need to exaggerate. Which other occasions are you referring to?

Relying on friends and strangers seems perfectly reasonable. Between the two that includes the entire human race. Nothing else is capable of sharing their opinion. Considering I run adblockers word of mouth is all there is.

But you're also ignoring the main point of my post which was you saying this is a bad review because you don't agree with his opinion. What's missing? The only difference between this being a review you love or a review you hate is that you like the game and he doesn't. You're just showing how your bias is clouding your judgement on the quality of the review.

@SirJames;

Hey, it's cool that you rely on friends and strangers for what to think about games. It makes sense given your statements about other games in the past.

Personally, I prefer to play the games that interest me.

As for your opinion about my opinion, I can only say the topic is of limited interest to me in this case.

But I guess gamers are no longer capable of thinking for themselves and forming their own opinions.
No one was ever able to think for themselves. Everything someone thinks was implanted there by another person. Nothing's changed.

Your world view has been shaped by your human parents and the various institutions of flawed humans they introduced you to. By what's on the TV, in the newspapers, on the internet. Everyone around you get's their information from similar sources.

I've got a stack of old Amiga magazines from the 90s a mile high. Listening to the opinion of people making game related media isn't new and it's always been how I've been informed and it's always been fairly reliable.

I'm still listening to you, but I'm listening to other people too and watching live streamed gameplay which is relatively new to the game media I've always been informed by. I feel like I'm in a stronger position than ever to make decisions to buy a game based off what other people are saying.

SirJames, it does make a lot of sense that you rely on others to do your thinking for you :)

As I said, that's cool.

Back
Top Bottom