Galatic Civilizations 3: Crusade

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
Staff Member
I got a key for GC3 with a magazine subscription. I played GC2 and enjoyed it. I was thinking of firing this up and I saw that of all the DLCs this one is the most popular with some players saying the base game is worthless without it. I hate to choke up 20 euros for a dlc. I'm wondering if its worth getting either at full price or on sale.

Only played the game at release and did not like it at all, which was also because the balance was horribly broken and their concept was "allow the players any freedom even if it breaks the game".
But from what I red they changed huge imbalances anyways. Also with the DLCs lots of stuff might have changed.
While I have this live time DLC thing, I never looked into the game again after release. Maybe I should do that...but there is just too much else to play...

I got the Founders' edition so I get all the DLC as it appears. Early on, the game wasn't all that good. It wasn't terrible, IMHO, but it wasn't all that great, either. Plus they were updating basic things pretty quickly, making it hard to even learn the game.

Lately it has been a lot more stable and I've finished a couple of games. It might be the quiet before the storm, though. There's a new expansion on the way.

Crusade definitely helped a lot. Unfortunately, with everything showing up in my game, I'm not real certain what the game would be like with just the one DLC vs. no DLC. You could always try it and find out. The "Lunar" sale is coming up in a few weeks.

It looks like the next expansion may be the last. There's already a complete edition bundle set up so you can get everything you haven't gotten yet.

GC3 with Crusade is my favorite modern 4X space games.

They've just announced a new expansion that's going to be the biggest one yet.

Looking forward to that quite a bit.

I've yet to play it with expansions, but I plan on buying all of them considering how much they improved GC2 with them.

I've yet to play it with expansions, but I plan on buying all of them considering how much they improved GC2 with them.

I didn't care for GalCiv 2 or GalCiv 3 before Crusade. But it's really grown on me.

It's one of the few 4X games where every turn seems to present meaningful and interesting choices.

Well, at least in the earlier parts of the game. I have to admit I've yet to finish one :)

Probably because I always go for the largest galaxies!

I didn't care for GalCiv 2 or GalCiv 3 before Crusade. But it's really grown on me.

It's one of the few 4X games where every turn seems to present meaningful and interesting choices.

Well, at least in the earlier parts of the game. I have to admit I've yet to finish one :)

Probably because I always go for the largest galaxies!

The early game is always the most fun, it doesn't matter if it's GC, Civilization or Endless Legends. Large galaxy or world sizes are just a hassle. I go with the normal size every time to actually have a shot at finishing the games, even if I still abandon more games than I win…

I go large (but not huge) sized with just a few civs. That way the "early" game lasts the longest. ;)

I haven't played GC3 yet, but I remember GC2 was dramatically improved by it's Expansions to a degree that I'd consider them almost mandatory. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was true for GC3 as well.

I guess I may have to give GC3 a try sometime too then, maybe after the last big expansion. Although I find myself getting increasingly burnt out on 4x games.

Well I bought it for 50% off in the lunar sale, so thanks Zloth and Darth Tagnan for your recommendations. 10 euros seems ok, and it really does seem to be a huge expansion.

Do you guys prefer Galciv III over Stellaris? I have both, Galciv III being founder's edition. I have spent some time with Stellaris and like it a lot, until mid to end game, which I find boring. As for Galciv III, I played it only at launch and didn't think much of it.

What do you guys think?

Do you guys prefer Galciv III over Stellaris? I have both, Galciv III being founder's edition. I have spent some time with Stellaris and like it a lot, until mid to end game, which I find boring. As for Galciv III, I played it only at launch and didn't think much of it.

What do you guys think?

I own both and I definitely prefer GalCiv 3.

For reference, you should perhaps know that I consider MoO2 the best 4X space game of all time.

Since we're talking about 4X games, there is a site I only recently found that has lots of news/reviews in both Space- and Earth-based 4X games. Its name is eXplorminate. They even do review's reexamination (as they call it) when a given game gets a good update and/or DLC which substantially change it.

In the particular case of GalCiv III, I found:

-Galactic Civilizations II original review;
-GalCivIII Reexamination #!;
-GalCivIII Reexamination #2;
-Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade Review (which almost every GalCivIII player says it changed the game for a lot better).

Thanks Darth. I never heard of this game before, will keep my eye on it.

As an addedum, I can't say that a "no-multiplayer" is a negative for me, though actually I don't really care that much. I just don't click on "Start Multiplayer Game" button either way :)

I haven't tried GC3 yet, but I am definitely a sucker for Stellaris. I really love the early game exploration phase.

I haven't tried the latest patch yet (supposedly there's a lot of issues with the MegaCorp DLC and the accompanying patch), but I'd definitely recommend the version of the game before that.

Did anyone try out Interstellar Space: Genesis? (early access)
Also looks cool and the features include a realistic universe, which I always find tempting.

Did anyone try out Interstellar Space: Genesis? (early access)
Also looks cool and the features include a realistic universe, which I always find tempting.
That's the game from the guy behind the Space Sector website right? If so that game is shaping up to be a hit on release in my opinion. Though I haven't played it yet.

As for Galciv III, I played it only at launch and didn't think much of it.
I think you need to try again. Since you've got the Founders you'll get to play as evil squirrels or some of the Star Control races.

Fair enough. I will wait for the latest expansion to jump in with even more content/updates.

Back
Top Bottom