Etrian Odyssey V Western release

Nephologist

Keeper of the Watch
http://gematsu.com/2017/06/etrian-odyssey-v-beyond-myth-coming-americas-fall

Looks like this is finally getting a localization, to be released this fall.

I'm pretty excited about this, and I was getting nervous that it would never be released since it's been out in Japan for over a year. Atlus had been pretty prompt with localizing the previous EOs so I wasn't sure if this one would make it, but here it is.

I imagine not too many people here have a 3DS, but if you do I highly suggest looking into this and the older titles as well. They are excellent, extremely difficult Wizardry-like dungeon crawlers with an extremely robust in-game mapping system.

As long as you can get past some of the cutesy anime portraits, it's a fantastic series and hopefully this one lives up to the series' pedigree.

I guess I'm going to have to dust off my 3DS. I have been getting a little tired of the EO series, but not enough not to get this. It is consistently very high quality and challenging, and you just don't see other games like this anymore. I just tend to wish they would change things up a little more between versions. But I guess they don't want to mess with success.

I guess I'm going to have to dust off my 3DS. I have been getting a little tired of the EO series, but not enough not to get this. It is consistently very high quality and challenging, and you just don't see other games like this anymore. I just tend to wish they would change things up a little more between versions. But I guess they don't want to mess with success.

It's true that they are a little similar to each other, especially on the first 3 entries for the DS. I definitely needed to take a break in between playing them or I would've suffered from dungeon crawling fatigue.

That said I like how they changed up the formula a bit in 4 with the airship levels and the various sized dungeons instead of all dungeons the same size.

It's true that they are a little similar to each other, especially on the first 3 entries for the DS. I definitely needed to take a break in between playing them or I would've suffered from dungeon crawling fatigue.

That said I like how they changed up the formula a bit in 4 with the airship levels and the various sized dungeons instead of all dungeons the same size.

Yeah every version has it's own little unique hook that goes beyond the usual dungeon crawling, and the airship one was one of the most elaborate and effective. I'd like to see more things like that, but also some changes to the classes and general mechanics.

So far yes, 3DS only.

I LOVED the EO DS games, but never got a 3DS ... replayed some of EO III last year, wondering if it is worth getting a 3DS at this point, and grabbing this one in the fall ... thoughts?

If you're only interested in EOV then I'd say it's not worth getting a 3DS just for one game. However IMO there are tons of great 3DS games, RPGs and non-RPGs alike. Just to list a few:

-EOIV (My favorite EO, if you liked the sailing parts in EOIII you'll love this one, it has an airship)
-Elminage Original (Haven't played yet, but it's Elminage, so you know it's a decent Wiz clone)
-Bravely Default 1 and 2
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates
-Shin Megami Tensei and Persona (Not my cup of tea but those who like them LOVE them)
-Zelda: Link Between Worlds
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-Metroid: Samus Returns (Not released yet, but it's a 2D Metroid so it has to be good.

Tons of others too, these are just my personal picks. If I were you I'd look through the 3DS library and decide if there are enough interesting titles to warrant picking up a 3DS.

Just my 2 cents...

I loved my DS in the past, but I'm not sure that I would buy a new one if my current one broke. Games are just released so rarely for it now, I feel like there are only a few new releases every year, and most I don't care about. Once upon a time it was much better, but I think the IOS/Android mobile game market killed a lot of demand.

With that said, when EOV comes out, I will be very happy that my 3DS is not broken (knock on wood).

Game came out yesterday, I picked it up. Still early on but I'm enjoying it so far. It's mostly what you would expect from an EO game, but I've noticed that many of the classes are completely different, and there are a few other little differences in the mechanics. There may be other more notable changes that I just haven't come across yet.

If you're only interested in EOV then I'd say it's not worth getting a 3DS just for one game. However IMO there are tons of great 3DS games, RPGs and non-RPGs alike. Just to list a few:

-EOIV (My favorite EO, if you liked the sailing parts in EOIII you'll love this one, it has an airship)
-Elminage Original (Haven't played yet, but it's Elminage, so you know it's a decent Wiz clone)
-Bravely Default 1 and 2
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates
-Shin Megami Tensei and Persona (Not my cup of tea but those who like them LOVE them)
-Zelda: Link Between Worlds
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-Metroid: Samus Returns (Not released yet, but it's a 2D Metroid so it has to be good.

Tons of others too, these are just my personal picks. If I were you I'd look through the 3DS library and decide if there are enough interesting titles to warrant picking up a 3DS.

Just my 2 cents…
DS is too tiny for my eyes and I gave up. But I would add the uncommon Infinite Space.

For Etrian Odyssey the first had some charm during a time, but for me it became too much a grinding fest long before I finish it.

Game came out yesterday, I picked it up. Still early on but I'm enjoying it so far. It's mostly what you would expect from an EO game, but I've noticed that many of the classes are completely different, and there are a few other little differences in the mechanics. There may be other more notable changes that I just haven't come across yet.

Nice. I preordered on Amazon and I'm still waiting for it to ship.

So far my only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be any overworld exploration, like the sailing in EO 3 or the airships in EO 4. I don't have a manual though, so it's possible that it's introduced much later.

Back
Top Bottom