Nightdive System Shock demo

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭&#12004
Looks like there will be a playable and time limited demo of Nightdive's upcoming System Shock remake today (12-12).

https://medium.com/@geoffkeighley/introducing-the-game-festival-9d319cf7a579

As part of the pilot Game Festival on Stream, more than a dozen games are scheduled to be playable. Some of the games that will release free, limited-time demos include:
System Shock (Nightdive Studios)
Eastward (Pixpil/Chucklefish)
Spiritfarer (Thunder Lotus)
Moving Out (SMG Studio/Devm Games/Team17)
Röki (Polygon Treehouse/United Label)
Chicory (Greg Lobanov)
Wooden Nickel (Brain&Brain)
Haven (The Game Bakers)
Heavenly Bodies (2pt Interactive)
Acid Knife (Powerhoof)
The Drifter (Powerhoof)
CARRION (Phobia/Devolver)
SkateBIRD (Glass Bottom Games)

..and yes it says "on Stream" which should be Steam i'm betting ;)

Is this a different demo then the one they had several years ago ?

yeah it must be.. why would they put up an old demo that does not reflect the game, very bad publicity. if i recall correctly they're even on a new engine now.

Tried it. It looks and plays pretty good. Been ages since i played the old demo, but it felt pretty similar, from what i can remember.

It has the old style pixelation when you get close to stuff. don't know if that was in the old demo. Didn't "wow!" me or anything though, it is pretty much what you'd expect.

I hated the hacking mini-game.

Some impressions.
They need to add monster sounds so I can tell when they are behind me. Footsteps and things like that. UI is okay but I would like to see what I have picked up, description wise, more prominently. Movement feels a little sluggish. Turn speed is kind of slow. Graphically looks fine but the monsters lack personality at this stage.

Having said that I enjoyed what I played of it.

Just finished it. Whatever hotfix they applied fixed my crashing issue.

I liked it a lot. It's far from perfect, but I think it's going to be great when it's finished. My only concern is that it might still be a couple more years away with the snail's pace they seem to be going.

Visually, I think it looks great, and they really nailed the atmosphere. I was disappointed that they haven't implemented cyberspace yet though. I hope they get that part right because it was one of the coolest things in the orignal game.

They also need to add a light source for the player. It's way too dark in some places.

Yeah, darkness will not be atmospheric if its just darkness everywhere, then it quickly becomes the norm and that means eventually boring and uninteresting. Balance is everything.

I googled the release date and it says early 2020 lol... yeah i think maybe late 2021, if lucky.

Here's what a buddy said about it when I asked
little bird said:
lol so
that was a shit prealpha
looks like theyre porting the game to a new engine
some of the graphics look ancient and some look sleek and newer
but it has that same old deus ex 1 interfacing
and still feels a bit meh to move
also HORRIBLE framerates
took a few seconds at the start to pop in everything
was getting like 25-40fps on whatever the default settings were
lol its been in development since 2016

(Test rig: win10, 2500k, 1660ti, 16gb ram)

well the graphics are supposed to look "ancient", if he means the pixelation.. its a graphical style they're going for.

They moved from Unity to Unreal Engine in 2017.

With the move the release date was set to mid/late 2018. Now it's set to early 2020, but i doubt it..

The hotfix seems to have ruined the game for me, it just crashes now at the start.

The hotfix seems to have ruined the game for me, it just crashes now at the start.

Did you happen to switch it from borderless window to fullscreen? If so, that might be your problem. I couldn't launch it after doing that.

Try deleting GameUserSettings.ini at Username/AppData/Local/SystemReShock/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor. That will reset the game back to defaults and allow you to launch it.

Besides the "meh" SS Demo try "The drifter" its looking to become a really good adventure (Full Throttle style).

Did you happen to switch it from borderless window to fullscreen? If so, that might be your problem. I couldn't launch it after doing that.

Try deleting GameUserSettings.ini at Username/AppData/Local/SystemReShock/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor. That will reset the game back to defaults and allow you to launch it.

i'll test if the demo even works any longer (time limited).. i switched to my TV, so it was a new resolution, that's all.

Description for Haven:
They escaped to a lost planet to be together. A RPG adventure about love and freedom. To play solo or co-op with a special someone.
So is this the first ever RPG that's actually aimed at daters??

Tried the new demo. The changes are mostly subtle but good. The game is still too dark in some places though, and they still haven't added an option to adjust things like brightness or gamma. This could be solved by simply adding a flashlight from the beginning.

Overall though, I think it's going to be really good. I can't wait for them to finish this.

Back
Top Bottom