Windows 9 in 2015

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
It seems Microsoft will be releasing a new windows program called Threshold. It will be know as Windows 9. It will bring back the desktop, and combine it with metro.

Link-http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015
Here's what I've learned about Threshold:

Windows 9.
To distance itself from the Windows 8 debacle, Microsoft is currently planning to drop the Windows 8 name and brand this next release as Windows 9. That could change, but that's the current thinking.

BUILD vision announcement. In case it's not obvious that the Sinofsky era is over, Microsoft will use BUILD to provide its first major "vision" announcement for Windows since, yes, Longhorn in 2003. Don't expect anything that grandiose, but the Windows team believes it needs to hit a happy middle ground between the KGB-style secrecy of the Sinofsky camp and the freewheeling "we can do it all" days that preceded that. As important, the firm understands that customers need something to be excited about.

No bits at BUILD. Microsoft will not be providing developers with an early alpha release of "Threshold" at BUILD, and for a good reason: The product won't even begin development until later that month. Right now, Microsoft is firming up which features it intends to deliver in this release.

Metro 2.0. Maturing and fixing the "Metro" design language used by Windows will be a major focus area of Threshold. It's not clear what changes are coming, but it's safe to assume that a windowed mode that works on the desktop is part of that.

Three milestones. Microsoft expects to deliver three milestone releases of "Threshold" before its final release. It's unclear what these releases will be called (Beta, Release Candidate, etc.) or which if any will be provided to the public.

April 2015 release. Microsoft is currently targeting April 2015 for the release of Windows 9 "Threshold."

In some ways, the most interesting thing about Threshold is how it recasts Windows 8 as the next Vista. It's an acknowledgment that what came before didn't work, and didn't resonate with customers. And though Microsoft will always be able to claim that Windows 9 wouldn't have been possible without the important foundational work they had done first with Windows 8—just as was the case with Windows 7 and Windows Vista—there's no way to sugarcoat this. Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good.
I may finally upgrade since I don't like WIN 8.^^

Last edited:
There has been a lot of speculation based on the continued decline of PC sales and awful sales of Win 8 of how Microsoft has failed to learn from Vista and Win8 is a clear sign of that, and that they have been hurt badly ... perhaps terminally.

While I think that is many years away, if you look at what people DID buy in 2013 - tablets and Chromebooks - it makes you realize how well those things meet the majority of needs for most people, and how that will gradually marginalize Windows and PCs in general.

I won't buy anything with win8+ - because of that bad design. I'm too conservative, I still want the design introduced with Win 95 back - the arrangement of programs within a special menu, for example.

Seems to me that every second version of ms os switch between good and crap. Following that "logic" win9 should be pretty good! Unfortunately, for ms anyway, I think it's more than likely that Linux will slowly take over for gamers..we'll see, I might be wrong. I wouldn't mind going the way of Linux personally, I pretty much only use windows because I feel I have to.

Ppl please. Soon we'll all have touchscreen displays at home, the only question is will we really use the touch possibility. At work, sure, where you operate with stockpile of data it'll be a must. At home why would I for example write an e-mail on a touchscreen instead on a keyboard?

Win8 was built around the idea that we all have touchscreen and PC is turned into a phone. Well, it's not and M$ jumped onto a flawed presumption. On my home pc I want clicky-clicky, poor mouse exploded buy another one. I don't want touchy-touchy, OMG the screen is so dirty I can plant trees on it and I should clean it daily if not more often!

Linux won't take gamers away since we still have win7. And it's not the first time M$ tries to enforce their "vision" neglecting what ppl really want. They'll adapt just as before.

Win7 will be discontinued by ms in a few years and it'll turn into a virus bomb if you keep using it. When the time comes to switch OS I'm currently more aiming towards Linux than any future windows OS.

Windows 8 works just fine for me. I dislike the Metro interface, but thanks to Stardocks' Object Desktop which I already subscribed to, I get that good ol' (and Stardock improved) Win 7 interface.

pibbur who among other things thinks that Metro is UGLY!!!

I have Windows 8 on a laptop and absolutely hate it. It seems to me like MS makes their products in a vacuum these days. They make what they want to make without really understanding their market.

Win8 was built around the idea that we all have touchscreen and PC is turned into a phone. Well, it's not and M$ jumped onto a flawed presumption. On my home pc I want clicky-clicky, poor mouse exploded buy another one. I don't want touchy-touchy, OMG the screen is so dirty I can plant trees on it and I should clean it daily if not more often!

Agreed. It was a very strange decision, IMNSHO.

pibbur who is a bit puzzled that he agrees with the joxer.. (actually not, but I have to write SOMETHING in these "pibbur who" sigs.)

I have Windows 8 on a laptop and absolutely hate it. It seems to me like MS makes their products in a vacuum these days. They make what they want to make without really understanding their market.

I would probably hate it as well, if I had to use the metro. But thanks to Stardock…

Do you have any grievances apart from the UI?

pibbur who wishes he got paid by Stardock for saying this.

I've already made the jump to the FOSS-land and can't see MS doing an 180 on their Metro attempt but think they're were placed in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. They've been playing catch-up in the mobile space forever and wanted a piece of the ever-growing Mobile OS+AppStore market, they tried to capitalize on their domination of the desktop but ended up alienating a huge chunk of their traditional users and didn't make much headway into their target market partly because of the desktop becoming largely irrelevant. MS can't afford to give up the WinRT and Metro travesty and put all their eggs in the Xbox basket and what the direction they're forced to take is far from meeting my needs as a customer.

That is the big problem for them - they are alienating and failing to meet the needs of an increasing portion of the market. Look at the segments:
- Business
- Casual consumers
- 'power users' (coders, designers, statisticians / modelers, scientists/engineers, etc)
- gamers

PC Gamers use Windows. Some of us might ALSO use Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, etc. But really, the choice remains PC vs. console ... and consider tablets as just slowly killing the 3DS & PSP/Vita market.

Business users have moved to a much longer replacement cycle, except for power users, and even still at most big companies there is a 2-3 year span expected. That is much worse for PC makers and MS than the annual - 2 year cycle of years past.

Also, I know of absolutely no one in a decent size company using WIndows 8 as a 'corporate standard' ... nor with plans to do so. When Win7 came out, the evaluation plans were more or less immediate.

Casual users are perfectly served by tablets and Chromebooks. In our house, we have a Chromebook that is the most used computer for general use. Then we have iOS and Android devices. Between her iPhone and Nook HD+ my wife barely uses a laptop anymore. My kids only use their PC laptop for music production / DAW stuff, and I only use my PC for gaming and occasional work tasks if I leave my laptop at work.

And given how slowly MS smartphone / tablet share is growing compared to how quickly the PC market is declining, it is a losing trend.

I've yet to even hear about a single company that have replaced their laptops or desktops with tablets - but maybe that's different in the US?

Oh, many have support for those devices - but overall it's still largely Windows PCs in any kind of network environment. Whether that's Win 8 or Win 7 doesn't matter all that much in the long run.

Yes, Windows 8 was a mistake - and a really stupid one at that, but I don't see the trends changing when it comes to business and gamers. Casual users aren't going to be satisfied with a tablet if they also happen to like gaming - and if they have a job, they'll have a laptop at least.

Nah, Windows is still here to stay.

Smaller computers will eventually replace larger computers - but it's far from written in stone what those smaller computers will be and what OS they will have running on them.

As for gamers like us - we have no choice whatsoever, especially now with the Kickstarter craze in full effect.

Win7 will be discontinued by ms in a few years and it'll turn into a virus bomb if you keep using it. When the time comes to switch OS I'm currently more aiming towards Linux than any future windows OS.

For "productive environments", maybe, but there are still games out there which won't run on "modern systems". And DirectX still cannot be emulated ...

I see the webbrowser as the new OS. We're almost there with the current generation of webbrowser with features like WebGL, HTML5 Audio and Video, WebRTC, ASM.JS, and more. I think it'll only take a few years until these come into full bloom. People dont really care what underlying OS is running the webbrowser. Chromebook is a good example of whats to come.

I was pretty opposed to win8 but that was before I actually used it.

It's actually a stable and fast OS and if you install start8 or other 3rd party programs you can skip the metro interface all together.

Metro is pretty much just an overlay to run apps anytime you launch an actually windows program from it you will be sent to the standard windows desktop.

Pibbur is 100% correct about stardock programs! I use fences, start8 and winfx and as a result win8 is the best OS I've used. It's been so long since I've even seen the metro interface that I often forget it's there until the usually win8 suck thread pops up.

Yes I had to spend a little extra to get it the way I want it and I know there are people out there that would much rather run software they don't like and complain about it rather than install a 3rd party program to make it better, thankfully I'm not one of those people.

I heard the same stuff about Microsoft's demise with windows me and vista. They have more money than a small country and it would take many many years of mistakes for them to go down. There's still no operating system that's ready to take window on ATM and that's part of the problem.

Don't get me wrong if someone would step up and challenge Microsoft I would be right there cheering them on but I just don't see that happen anytime soon and in the meantime if you put a little in to win 8 you'll find it's actually a very good OS.

Part of the problem now is excitement, lack of it.

I have a Vista laptop that was on its way out and was excited about Win 8 coming out until I had a chance to play with it. Now I keep massaging my old laptop and have pretty much gone to Android for everything instead of MS. I still wouldn't mind a new laptop but I don't see the point of spending the money on an OS I just don't like.

Now I hear about Win 9 that will fix everything, I'm not excited.

I would probably hate it as well, if I had to use the metro. But thanks to Stardock…

Do you have any grievances apart from the UI?

pibbur who wishes he got paid by Stardock for saying this.

I do but getting rid of metro would make it tolerable. I looked at Stardock's stuff before but I don't use the laptop enough to justify paying for those programs (though I suspect there's probably a free alternative somewhere).

I do but getting rid of metro would make it tolerable. I looked at Stardock's stuff before but I don't use the laptop enough to justify paying for those programs (though I suspect there's probably a free alternative somewhere).

Classic shell does the same thing for free, haven't used it personally though as I bought start 8.

Back
Top Bottom