Quantcast
John Romero - Starting New Project - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » John Romero - Starting New Project

Default John Romero - Starting New Project

April 25th, 2016, 18:09
John Romero and Adrian Carmack, the minds behind 1993's smash hit Doom, have launched a Kickstarter for a dark futuristic FPS called Darkroom, set in a holographic dystopia. It is slated for a 2018 release and the producers are seeking a cool $700,000.

loading…

John Romero and Adrian Carmack — best known for their work on the revolutionary 1993 first-person shooting game Doom — today revealed a new FPS project, called Blackroom.

The onetime co-founders of id Software have teamed up to create a game that is set in a holographic world gone wrong. In a release from the game's development house Night Work Games, Blackroom was described as offering a ten-hour single player campaign as well as six multiplayer maps.

Blackroom, due for release on Mac and PC in 2018, will offer co-op, one-on-one deathmatch and free-for-all arena modes. The game will be fully moddable, with player-made maps expected. Night Work Games today launched a Kickstarter for Blackroom seeking $700,000. Romero said he will be seeking investors if the Kickstarter hits its target.
More.

More information.

Aubrielle

Chekist
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

April 25th, 2016, 18:09
John Romero is about to make you his pitch.

Bad puns are-a-comin' - coffee time, I'd say!

duerer

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

cptbarkey

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 25th, 2016, 21:56
Sounds like the focus is on MP. There is a single player campaign, but, it is only 10 hours. Disappointing.

DarNoor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 25th, 2016, 22:07
Originally Posted by DarNoor View Post
Sounds like the focus is on MP. There is a single player campaign, but, it is only 10 hours. Disappointing.
And that is 8 hours more than whatever CoD games are released every year.

Archangel

SasqWatch

+1:

April 25th, 2016, 22:07
Modding is a focus and gameplay is oldskool. Seriously tempted.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

April 25th, 2016, 22:58
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
And that is 8 hours more than whatever CoD games are released every year.
I wouldn't know. I don't play those. I haven't played a FPS game in a long time, so, i don't know what the norm is anymore.

DarNoor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 25th, 2016, 23:17
I dont think this will end well but i wish i was wrong
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 25th, 2016, 23:30
Oh man. I want this project to happen. My favourite type of fps has fast paced adrenaline driven skill focused gameplay. Haven't seen many of those lately… All these railroaded cod clones have basicly ruined this fine subgenre.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 25th, 2016, 23:32
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Oh man. I want this project to happen. My favourite type of fps has fast paced adrenaline driven skill focused gameplay. Haven't seen many of those lately… All these railroaded cod clones have basicly ruined this fine subgenre.
Try new Unreal Tournament.

Also there is Quake Live.

Archangel

SasqWatch

+1:

April 25th, 2016, 23:33
Yay, a kickstarter I can totally ignore! Not much of a fan of shooters =p. For those that enjoy them, I hope this one succeeds.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

April 26th, 2016, 01:11
This is very interesting, didn't Carmack write back then that he was forced to leave ID?
I wonder how he got things peachy with Romero again after so many years.
I bet we'll never know.

However I'll do something I shouldn't.
Because of his involvement into Shaker, I refused to back it. The project failed and for some reason I started to feel guilty later because it was Brenda/Tom in lead, Romero was just a bystander.
So now, to clear my conscience, I backed this one. I know this sounds silly, especially because it's pvp oriented FPS, something I don't play at all, but I just had to. Besides 30 bucks doesn't sound much considering EA charges double of that sum for crap DLC in their MMO that doesn't even have singleplayer (SW:B).

After all these years… Romero finally turned me into his b…
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

April 26th, 2016, 02:56
John Romero and Adrian Carmack
"Adrian" Carmack?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

April 26th, 2016, 03:22
Yup. ID software founders were Adrian Carmack, John Carmack, Tom Hall and John Romero. And from wiki about Adrian Carmack:
"in September 2005, the Wall Street Journal revealed he was taking his former business partners to court claiming he was effectively fired by them in an attempt to force him to sell his 41% stake in the company"

Although both Carmacks, Adrian and John are not related. John Carmack sold his soul to Facebook. The reason? Bethesda, or should we call it Zenimax, parent company of id software, didn't want to support Facebook's oculus schemes and Carmack is social networks fan so he left id software and joined Oculus VR as cheaf tech. officer.
Oculus VR is actually Facebook and vice versa. Just like Zenimax is Bethesda.
A rose with a different name would smell the same. Or in case of Facebook, we can call turd a different name, it'll still stink.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; April 26th, 2016 at 03:33.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

April 26th, 2016, 08:28
John Carmack joined Oculus before merge with Facebook. Also he has been involved with space flight before that. Out of that bunch, John Carmack is by far the smartest guy and probably one of the smartest people on the planet.

Archangel

SasqWatch

+1:

April 26th, 2016, 15:41
I got spooked by Romero's visage. Ugh that was completely backhanded. D Also will watch this just for fun and avoid any pledge.

mercy

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

April 27th, 2016, 04:37
I can't believe there's an opportunity to get John Romeros next game for $10000 and no ones taken it.

SirJames

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

April 27th, 2016, 14:57
John and Adrien actually arent related .. it just happens that their both have the same last name Carmack
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

April 27th, 2016, 15:21
John Romero and Adrian Carmack — best known for their work on the revolutionary 1993 first-person shooting game Doom
Romero is also the man behind the 2000 first-person shooting game John Romero's Daikatana, "known as one of the major commercial failures of the video game industry." (Wikipedia)

More from Wikipedia:"The critical and commercial failure of the game was a major contributing factor in the closure of Ion Storm's Dallas office"

He may of course have learned his lesson, I see he was involved both in Red Faction and Anachronox which was well received, it seems. Both came out in 2001.

pibbur who will say no more.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!

pibbur who

Number 14
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

April 27th, 2016, 20:33
Just remember that John Carmack, Zuckerbeg's best new friend, praised by many for basically nothing, is nohow connected to one of the best games I've ever played - Anachronox.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » John Romero - Starting New Project