Recommendation for January - April RPG

Possible, but difficult. What you need to keep in mind is that when you build your character, any points you put into magic will make your character lean towards magic, and any point put into tech makes the character lead towards tech. So in other words, if you put 5 points into magic and 5 points into tech, it'll even out. However, tech and magic generally has different requirements, so you may end up with a rather weak jack of all trades.

It's entirely possible to do though, by getting certain tech skills combined with magic that either heals, buffs or summons. I wouldn't bother with damage spells if you're trying to stay balanced.

Yeah that's kind of what I wanted to do, supplement my guns with support magic, maybe some necromancy, buffs, debuffs possibly, etc.. Not too worried about damage magic as my main damage will be guns and tech. Thanks again for the info bro, can't wait to dive into this properly soon.

You can try that route, but I wouldn't recommend it. Arcanum doesn't work like most crpgs.

The more magic you have the weaker you'll be when trying to use tech and vice versa.
Also, having an affinity for one makes it very likely you'll get critical fails when using the other, and those are a pretty big deal. You really need to go mostly (or entirely) one or the other or you'll just gimp yourself.

You can try that route, but I wouldn't recommend it. Arcanum doesn't work like most crpgs.

The more magic you have the weaker you'll be when trying to use tech and vice versa.
Also, having an affinity for one makes it very likely you'll get critical fails when using the other, and those are a pretty big deal. You really need to go mostly (or entirely) one or the other or you'll just gimp yourself.

Then I'll probably go tech because I want to use guns, even if it's harder that way. Guns, dynamite, etc..

I finished the game on Hard with a gunslinger. It was frustrating at times but very satisfying. You will reload a LOT. Make sure you have enough Charisma to have multiple followers. I think I had 3 companions at one point plus a dog who doesn't count against your total.

I finished the game on Hard with a gunslinger. It was frustrating at times but very satisfying. You will reload a LOT. Make sure you have enough Charisma to have multiple followers. I think I had 3 companions at one point plus a dog who doesn't count against your total.

Thanks! I was going to go with a high Charisma build and some Dexterity for shooting. Would you recommend Hard then, for a pretty good overall challenge?

Edit - Already answered in chat. Thanks man! :party:

Last edited:
Given how much stronger magic is than tech, I suspect a balanced build is likely easier to play than a pure tech build, but it's all doable of course. The biggest issue is healing, as it can only be done via consumables if you're tech heavy. If you're balanced or magic based, magic healing is available, which makes a huge difference.

Basically, increased magic gives loads of benefits (stronger spells, stronger magic items). Increased tech just gives you magic resistance (even against friendly spells) + marginally better use of certain items. There are very few, real benefits.

Healing wasn't much of an issue actually. Just make sure to keep Virgil as a companion. His healing is a huge help for the first half of the game.

Balance was always the biggest issue in Arcanum. The game is very biased towards magic or a strong melee build which is a shame because I think tech is the more interesting route.

Healing wasn't much of an issue actually. Just make sure to keep Virgil as a companion. His healing is a huge help for the first half of the game.

Balance was always the biggest issue in Arcanum. The game is very biased towards magic or a strong melee build which is a shame because I think tech is the more interesting route.
If you're tech-heavy, Virgil will empty his entire mana bar without healing you a single hitpoint. That's one of the many balancing issues the game has. There's no AI telling him to spend his mana more wisely. It does help for some time though, until you get get about halfway towards full tech.

And yes, tech is actually very interesting. There's some really cool stuff. And hot dang, the setting is spectacular.

Arcanum is a melee players dream game, or at least it was for me. And always will be, an ogre with an axe can get a lot done!
Haha yeah. Have you tried the "simple" approach, and then just whack your way through the game? It's surprisingly fun.

I even added some magic to make it a "battle mage ogre" type of thing. Good stuff.

Can't wait to dive in when I'm done with Kingmaker and Fallout! Love the setting, time to really dig in deep this time. :cool:

Maylander, I even just used a crowbar for a while, well, I think it was actually called a rusty mace but looked like a crowbar to me. In the hands of an enraged ogre, that thing was like a plus twenty bludgeon of doom!

Back
Top Bottom