Darkest Dungeon - The Color of Madness Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Color of Madness DLC has been released for Darkest Dungeon.

About This Content

Some hateful shard of alien origin has streaked through the night sky, crashing into the old Miller’s farm on the outskirts of the Hamlet! Those unfortunate enough to witness the Comet’s arrival have been blinded by what they can only describe as a shifting, ephemeral hue of damnably abrasive intensity. There has been no word from the farm in a fortnight, save for the unearthly groaning that echoes from the ruin of the mill…

“When men shake hands with time, time crushes them like tumblers; little pieces of glass.”
― Abu al-Ala al-Ma'arri

Features:

• New region: The Farmstead!
  • Endless Quest: Survive as long as you can while getting lost in time and space, confronted by unending waves of enemies new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet.
  • Twisted new trinkets, available for purchase from the Jeweler. Put your gold away—he trades only in Comet Shards!
  • All-New Enemy Faction: The Miller and his loyal workmen have become eerie husks of their former selves.
  • 3 new bosses - The Miller, The Thing From the Stars, and the Comet itself!
  • New Curios help keep your party in fighting shape as you face the endless hordes!
  • Expand your Hamlet with 4 new District buildings and reap their benefits.
  • New Quirks, with unique and powerful effects!
  • Our biggest soundtrack addition yet from Stuart Chatwood

More information.

"Endless Quest: Survive as long as you can while getting lost in time and space, confronted by unending waves of enemies new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet."

Wait, how can I push closer if it's endless? (Not that it really matters, "endless quest" does not sound appealing to me at all).

Last edited:
Proper name would be Celerity: Descent into Madness

This game has been on my peripheral radar for a while now, but I've decided to wait until the Complete GOTY Definitive Platinum Director's Cut. So is this the end of the DLC or are the devs going to keep rolling them out every few months or so?

Wait, how can I push closer if it's endless? (Not that it really matters, "endless quest" does not sound appealing to me at all).

Actually, quite a number of old stories (which are by the way better than the most of vid products stories) deal with the topic. Like Sysyphus.

I think TomRon's point is that an endless task by definition has no end, so you can't be moving closer to a goal (assuming getting closer to the crash site of the comet is the game's goal…). Sisyphus is just an example of an endless task.

So is this the end of the DLC or are the devs going to keep rolling them out every few months or so?
No end of DLC has been announced. They've milked the concept this long, hard to say when they'll stop.

I think TomRon's point is that an endless task by definition has no end, so you can't be moving closer to a goal (assuming getting closer to the crash site of the comet is the game's goal…). Sisyphus is just an example of an endless task.

Exactly.

Sisyphos is an excellent example of why why an endless quest isn't fun though (to me anyway). It's punishment.

I just started getting into DD's base game, no expansions. There's some difficulty-tweaking mods in the Steam Workshop I've used. It's an intriguing pastime, but not really an RPG.

But we're in an era where pretty much any game that involves swords is called an RPG.

;)

As far as I know this is the last DLC planned before new project.
I love the game and play on hardest mode but "cheat" by editing game files to allow me more provisions and torches. Also reduced the blood disease chance to 5%

I've been playing the base game with the Pitch Black Dungeon Mod, that's definitely a mod that I would recommend. It makes some things significantly harder but also gives you some more tools to deal them. More importantly, it significantly expands on some of the aspects of DD that I thought had potential but were lacking, such as making perks more important, or adding a lot more things you can do with the various dungeon objects you find.

Agree with fadedc completely.

Might finally play this as all the DLC is released now.

I put over 40 hours into the core game. I didn't get bored, exactly - just very frustrated. I like rogue-likes, but there are only so many times I can develop a group of characters from scratch to high level, only for them to be wiped out.

It'll be a while before I'll bother with any DLCs. As it is, I got my money's worth.

I put over 40 hours into the core game. I didn't get bored, exactly - just very frustrated. I like rogue-likes, but there are only so many times I can develop a group of characters from scratch to high level, only for them to be wiped out.

It'll be a while before I'll bother with any DLCs. As it is, I got my money's worth.

Somewhere along the line they added an upgrade path to the stagecough where heroes start arriving at higher levels. It reduced late game grind by a fair amount.

Syssyphus was tasked with rolling a boulder up a slope. Once achieved, he would be released. The whole stuff is about moving closer to a goal.

Syssyphus perpetually moved closer to the set goal.

Getting clearer and clearer by the day why people appreciate stories in vid products and think they are great.

I don't want to derail a thread about Darkest Dungeon with a debate about Greek mythology, but I'm fairly sure Sisyphus was left pushing a rock up a hill for all eternity as a punishment by the gods. There was no chance of success, the task was endless. I suppose you could argue that there were times when he was closer to the top, possibly, but it feels like a moot point in the context of an analogy of gameplay in Darkest Dungeon...

Ok, let us ignore syphilis for a second, and come back to the original question.

"Endless Quest: Survive as long as you can while getting lost in time and space, confronted by unending waves of enemies new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet."

Asymptotical game design? The closer you get, the slower you progress.

I watched some gameplay footage of this, and it looked like it was basically just one battle after another.

How is the base game? Does it have a decent plot and an ending? It's currently 70% right now on Steam, and I was thinking of grabbing it.

Back
Top Bottom