The Executioner - Coming to Steam July 17th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TheGG reports that The Executioner is coming to Steam July 17th. The game is described as a dark RPG about a torturer.

Press release:
13 MAY 2019 - Lesser Evil Games today announce that the first chapter of their dark RPG "The Executioner", which thrusts players into the shoes of a torturer, will be released via Steam on July 17th.

Fusing a unique blend of medieval storytelling, sanity management, and the brutal moral conundrums only an executioner could face -- this harrowing tale of a man who tortures people for a living will challenge you to face the monster that lives inside of all of us. The decisions are yours, and so are the consequences.

As shown in the new teaser trailer, the predominantly text-based adventure promises a dark and unsettling atmosphere in a world filled with moral ambiguity.

The Executioner will be a multipart epic adventure into the cruel and unforgiving political sphere of medieval times. Starting with Chapter One, this brutal tale will follow the newly appointed Royal Executioner on a journey to retain his sanity in the darkest of times.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

We all have different tastes, but I have to ask - is this really a videogame?
A game is supposed to be fun. IMO. Now playing an executioner could be fun, kinda, one of the best sidequests in KCD are three tasks from the executioner. But the game description here is something else. A torturer.

It's digital world, it's torturing ones and zeroes, not torturing living beings, sure, but somehow I don't see any fun in it. Maybe I buy it just because it's a bit of unique, but I don't think I'll be "studying" it in a way to complete everything in there.

We all have different tastes, but I have to ask - is this really a videogame?
A game is supposed to be fun. IMO. Now playing an executioner could be fun, kinda, one of the best sidequests in KCD are three tasks from the executioner. But the game description here is something else. A torturer.

It's digital world, it's torturing ones and zeroes, not torturing living beings, sure, but somehow I don't see any fun in it. Maybe I buy it just because it's a bit of unique, but I don't think I'll be "studying" it in a way to complete everything in there.

Couldn't agree more. Tyranny made me uncomfortable making (albeit lesser of two evils) unpleasant choices, but to role-play a torturer?

And would someone who decided to follow the career path of a torturer ever have any "brutal, moral conundrums"?

Maybe there's more to it than deciding how far to wind up the ol' rack, but I just don't see it as fun unless the player is a bit of a sadist to begin with.

Ah, the good old chaptered format game! Aside from Telltale, has this ever worked for a developer in any genre?

Agree with tekulte, I'm having trouble suspending disbelief here about the torturer with a tortured conscience (irony!)

"predominantly text-based adventure" = BITCOIN MINER installed on your PC, so while you are reading away WE are mining preciouss bitcoin On Your Machine to make ourselves FILTHY RICH!

reminds me of inquisitor .
that was a cool one. so sad that the engine wasnt used further.

And would someone who decided to follow the career path of a torturer ever have any "brutal, moral conundrums"?

This is a good point.

Hey, if I can play Inquisitor Glokta from the First Law series, I'll totally purchase this product!!

This is a better point. Ol' Sand dan Glokta actually had plenty of moral conundrums. I highly recommended The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie.

Think my favorite is The Heroes, whatever number that is, but I do love me some Glokta.

EDIT: I just remembered The Heroes isn't actually a part of The First Law series, is it? Damn good book, though.

Last edited:
All the same universe, though. I've seen a reading list that drops those books into The First Law based on the fictional chronology. I think it's better to read them in the order written, though. There are plenty of references and returning characters. And read The Heroes for sure. :)

Never heard about Joe Abercrombie. Will check on his books next time I need new read. Thx for the hint guys :)

If we're talking about fine literature with a torturer main character, the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe is my go-to. The greatest fantasy series I've ever read, and one of the very (very) few series where subsequent books are as good as the first.

A single-player BDSM game? I suppose it was bound to happen. The Hostel films nearly gave me PTSD though, so I think I'll pass.

I'd recommend look at some of the Steam screenshots and attempting to read what is written there. The English is appallingly bad. i.e. quite when they mean quiet, human when they mean humane.

"But father haven't refuted the slander and was sentenced to death." "The father was sentensed to death by decapitation"

Back
Top Bottom