D:OS2 Best origin character uniqueskillwise/storywise?

Divinity: Original Sin 2

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I say Fane.
Why? Because of his totally crazy story twists and that OP unique spell. I went into a game thinking playing as skeleton will be fun and a nice change from cliches, but this much fun I didn't expect, honestly.

Your thoughts?

I like all their stories, but Fane certainly offers something unique. Well worth trying simply because it's something different.

That being said, they're all very well written and they all have quite a few interesting, unique dialogues. I really enjoyed that aspect of the game.

What OP unique spell does Fane have? I'm already in Arx and just have the usual skills…

I'm playing Lohse as my main character, really enjoying her story.

edit: do you mean time warp? To be honest I'd rather use my source points to nuke a whole area with lightning...So many skills, so little source!

Last edited:
What OP unique spell does Fane have? I'm already in Arx and just have the usual skills…

I'm playing Lohse as my main character, really enjoying her story.

edit: do you mean time warp? To be honest I'd rather use my source points to nuke a whole area with lightning…So many skills, so little source!

Get 5x Poly and cast Apotheosis first. Then nuke the area. Twice!

Edit: Works better as a Lone Wolf, because of the extra AP. Getting a free turn on either Glass Cannon or Lone Wolf characters is massive.

Get 5x Poly and cast Apotheosis first. Then nuke the area. Twice!

Edit: Works better as a Lone Wolf, because of the extra AP. Getting a free turn on either Glass Cannon or Lone Wolf characters is massive.

My main character - not Fane - can get apotheosis (I meet the req) but does it reset your skill cooldowns? A lot of high level skills have long cooldowns and I may well have used them already (although I suppose if I had it, I'd be more careful…also the skill book was very expensive and I've spent most of my gold on armour upgrades - which make a huge difference in this game) . Fane only has 2 points in poly sadly - so he can fly! - and I don't want to respec him since he's a geomnantic and aerotheugic powerhouse :) (when he survives to use it - absolutely shite physical armour until his has a chance to buff, and this game hates prebuffs). But I'm doing quite will now that I have decent armour etc - most fights are quite OK

I agree Fane is the most unique and while I have not finished the game it is clear from what I have seen so far he is very closely tied to the story. Still my favorite is Ifan by far.

I'm playing Ifan and the party is Lohse, Fane and TRP. I'll probably run Fane as main on the next playthrough, and bring Beast and Sebille. Dunno who the fourth will be though, maybe Ifan since I think he's pretty damn cool.

I'm currently in Act 2 with custom main char, Lohse, Beast and Sebille, doing kind of a "good" playthrough. I'm really enjoying all of the companions. It's a huge leap from its predecessor.

I'm actually considering another playthrough with an "evil" party with another custom main char, Fane, Red Prince and Ifan. That would be my first replay of a game since Mass Effect trilogy.

I slaughtered practically everything in the game, even that chick that whined about her pappy on the first island. I laid them out right next to each other, it was glorious. I'll never replay this game, but I took much delight in shattering every face I encountered.

My main character - not Fane - can get apotheosis (I meet the req) but does it reset your skill cooldowns? A lot of high level skills have long cooldowns and I may well have used them already (although I suppose if I had it, I'd be more careful…also the skill book was very expensive and I've spent most of my gold on armour upgrades - which make a huge difference in this game) . Fane only has 2 points in poly sadly - so he can fly! - and I don't want to respec him since he's a geomnantic and aerotheugic powerhouse :) (when he survives to use it - absolutely shite physical armour until his has a chance to buff, and this game hates prebuffs). But I'm doing quite will now that I have decent armour etc - most fights are quite OK

No, Apotheosis doesn't reset anything, so you use it as the first skill in turn 1. After that, you can cast Time Warp for "free" (still costs AP, but no Source), to get an extra turn in turn 1, and spend both that extra turn and the next turn burning through abilities that are normally quite heavy on Source. Chain Lightning? Check. Thunderstorm? Check. Meteor Shower? Check. Normally, that's about 8 Source points, but you can now do all three of them.

@booboo;, what you want is SkinGraft (Poly 3). It resets skills and clears burning and necrofire. 1 source point.

@booboo;, what you want is SkinGraft (Poly 3). It resets skills and clears burning and necrofire. 1 source point.

Yes, I have that - but too few memory slots to use it ;-) I mean I can memorise it, but then some very damaging skills have to go (2/3 memory slots each). I didn't design my build carefully, kind of organically grew as I played. In hindsight, I would have made some different choice, but I'm still enjoying the game a lot and doing OK
@Maylander; - yeah, I didn't think through things carefully - I should have chosen my skills a little more wisely. If I do another play through I'll be more careful :) My biggest current "issue" is lack of memory slots - even though I have put quite a few point in memory and took mnemonic etc. High tier skills are all 2/3, which is pretty demanding. I'm still doing fine in all my encounters and haven't had a party wipe for ages. As you noted elsewhere, armour is really incredibly powerful in this game - I don't really like that. Just as I don't like the fact that as soon as one armour pool is gone, you are 100% vulnerable to all effects that target that (unless you have a special item or buff). For example, last night I played an encounter where in 1st round my party lost all their magic armour (well, except for Fane) and then one opponent cast madness on all of us…things did not go well after that. I quit at that point because it was late and I was tired, so I wasn't being that strategic but it was like 'whoa! what just happened?!'

@Maylander; - yeah, I didn't think through things carefully - I should have chosen my skills a little more wisely. If I do another play through I'll be more careful :) My biggest current "issue" is lack of memory slots - even though I have put quite a few point in memory and took mnemonic etc. High tier skills are all 2/3, which is pretty demanding. I'm still doing fine in all my encounters and haven't had a party wipe for ages. As you noted elsewhere, armour is really incredibly powerful in this game - I don't really like that. Just as I don't like the fact that as soon as one armour pool is gone, you are 100% vulnerable to all effects that target that (unless you have a special item or buff). For example, last night I played an encounter where in 1st round my party lost all their magic armour (well, except for Fane) and then one opponent cast madness on all of us…things did not go well after that. I quit at that point because it was late and I was tired, so I wasn't being that strategic but it was like 'whoa! what just happened?!'

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had exactly the same issues with my first party. I only really took advantage of Apotheosis, Time Warp and the high end spells with my second party, which was 2x Lone Wolves, so they each had 50% more AP to use (and a lot of memory slots).

For example, last night I played an encounter where in 1st round my party lost all their magic armour (well, except for Fane) and then one opponent cast madness on all of us…things did not go well after that. I quit at that point because it was late and I was tired, so I wasn't being that strategic but it was like 'whoa! what just happened?!'
I've shared thoughts in "first impressions" thread on this - seems that past second island and perhaps sometimes during it the player should forget armor numbers but concentrate on element resist % on equipment, especially fire/water.

But I don't agree with Maylander - if you want to fastrun this game, sure go lonewolf, if you want to stir the pot with as crazy ingredients as possible enjoying crazy effects, avoid lonewolf like a plague. I mean, it took me ages to "discover" how OP shackles of pain can be and how it perfectly fits my setup (1 spellcaster with exactly that spell who is also undead and heals from poison = Fane, 1 ranged physical, 2 melee physical) although I had that spell basically since the beginning. With that spell no boss can survive the second turn (except cheating bosses like those 4 undead at the cemetary, but those drop fast anyway by spamming on them dozens of healing scrolls you, hopefully, stole from vendors like I did).

IIRC I got shackles while exploring Fort Joy's "fort". Apotheosis is something you get much much later and soon after you're able to get special AP boosting two kinds of tea.

What matters the most here is - Fane. In my case he was a spellcaster. But even I made him differently, that unique spell he carries is too useful to ignore in any kind of party!

But I don't agree with Maylander - if you want to fastrun this game, sure go lonewolf, if you want to stir the pot with as crazy ingredients as possible enjoying crazy effects, avoid lonewolf like a plague. I mean, it took me ages to "discover" how OP shackles of pain can be and how it perfectly fits my setup (1 spellcaster with exactly that spell who is also undead and heals from poison = Fane, 1 ranged physical, 2 melee physical) although I had that spell basically since the beginning. With that spell no boss can survive the second turn (except cheating bosses like those 4 undead at the cemetary, but those drop fast anyway by spamming on them dozens of healing scrolls you, hopefully, stole from vendors like I did).
A certain demon would survive that easily. It did not survive turn 1 of my 2x Lone Wolf with Apotheosis, Time Warp and every high end spell in the game. ;)

Edit: Like I said in the review though: I only recommend 2x Lone Wolf for a 2nd run, but that's mainly because it means missing out on companions. They add a lot to the game, and it's well worth playing with 4x the first time to see all their dialogues, quests etc.

Edit 2: In terms of raw power, I think there's really no contest currently. Given Time Warp, a Lone Wolf can get 12 AP in the first turn. The fact that they have double both skill and attribute points means you could be sitting on 80 Intelligence and 20+ in various spell schools. Add in the 12 AP (6x2) + things like Adrenaline Rush and the elven racial, and you're talking 15+ AP in one turn on a character that's just through the roof in terms of power. Nothing comes close.

But again, for fun, writing and experimentation, a full party is probably the way to go the first time.

I mean, it took me ages to "discover" how OP shackles of pain can be and how it perfectly fits my setup
Some one here mentioned shackles of pain with undead having the undead take poison to heal while damaging a living target, does this actually work? Pretty serious if it does.

Some one here mentioned shackles of pain with undead having the undead take poison to heal while damaging a living target, does this actually work? Pretty serious if it does.

I haven't tried it, but if I was the developer I would make it that it is what the name says "Shackles of pain", so if you get hurt they get hurt, if you get healed nothing happens (or they get healed, which would harm an undead?).

Erm, no. Shackles transfer the same kind of elemental damage on a "victim". The spell doesn't care if you got healed because for example your fire resistance is 200%, it'll still apply the same effect, in this example fire you walked over, on the linked creature. Of course, if the creature has the same max resistance as you, it'll heal. If immune, it won't get hurt. But the spell will still transfer the effect.

Erm, no. Shackles transfer the same kind of elemental damage on a "victim". The spell doesn't care if you got healed because for example your fire resistance is 200%, it'll still apply the same effect, in this example fire you walked over, on the linked creature. Of course, if the creature has the same max resistance as you, it'll heal. If immune, it won't get hurt. But the spell will still transfer the effect.

Right, no what I said is how I would have done it. The name of the skill is 'Shackles of Pain', not 'Effect Transferance'. So it would be more like a psychological spell, when you get hurt they feel hurt, regardless of if it's by fire, water, poison or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom