Baldur's Gate 3 - Community Update #1

Yes, how dare you ever be naysayers? Anyone who says anything even slightly negative about this news is just cynical deviants. D:OS is critically acclaimed game so everyone must love it, Larian developed them so everyone has to have faith in them to deliver, and BG3 announcement is dream come true for everyone even though the Bhaalspawn saga story ended!!! How can anyone not approve of cool environmental explosions and cheesy humour! That is so fitting for BG!!!

Mock and ridicule naysayers to purify them :)

Currently Present Fallacies:

Sensationalism

False Balance
False Equivalence
Argument to moderation

Alright, not sure how to make it more clear. So here's a parable:

Imagine you go to a big car show. There's a rumour going around that they're bringing back the Corvette C4 ZR1 (for car fans, yes I know there was a C3, this is an alternate timeline). You loved the original ZR1. You arrive at the car show, and then learn that instead of Lotus designing the motor, it's a partnership with Honda. You never cared much for Honda. To all the Vette fans there you declare "uhg, I was hoping for Lotus. I'm not happy about Honda doing this. I don't think they will do it justice. Their style is more sport compacts, that doesn't fit with a Vette." There's dialogue back and forth. Others are excited, because they know that Honda has put out some great things. Others say they've made some really boring things. You give your input that even if they went with a smaller motor with forced induction with the same amount of power, it's not going to sound like a V8. At this point Honda hasn't even said they're not going to do a V8, and is taking input from fan. But you still say it doesn't matter, it will probably be shitty. Everyone has given their input. The car show ends. Everyone goes their separate ways.

The next day there's event discussing the GM/Honda partnership. A bunch of fans excited for the new ZR1 show up to discuss it. You come to the event specifically to announce to everyone that it's going to be shit. Then they start to question why you came to the event.

The next day there's 2 events. One is to show off the new concept body style. The other is a meet and greet for Corvette fans. You show up to both of them. At one of them you start to make fun of the body style, and how ridiculous it is that they're not keeping the original early 90s look. Other fans there are kind of raise their eyebrows but keep discussing their excitement. At the other meet and greet event, you announce your arrival yet again at how ridiculous this new Corvette is. People start to question why you're at the event. You get defensive and start mocking them "What, I can't give my input? Boohoo, just because I don't have the same opinion as you, i'm wrong?"

5 more events go by. You take the opportunity to visit every single one of them and tell them how the new Corvette will be shit. At one event, there's 3 different tables of people excitedly discussing the new Corvette. You approach every table and tell them the new Corvette is stupid and how much you are NOT a fan.

There's nothing stopping people from coming to the events, but don't be shocked and go on the defence when people label someone an asshole for that behaviour.

Likewise with threads here. Sometimes people will show up with a sarcastic joke, which can be entertaining. Especially if it's something like this:

WhJps6J.jpg

But if some people go out of their way to show up in every thread to announce to everyone that a game or company is shit (Bethesda, Beamdog, EA, Bioware threads, i'm looking at you) then don't be shocked when you get labelled an asshole. It puts you in a similar class of people who talk or use their phone in the movie theatre. If you really detest it, why not start a hate thread? People won't bother you there. And if they do, I would say you have every right to call them assholes.

I don't know what's so hard about this concept to grasp.

Sure, its ok to be overhyped over so little information but not ok to be "cynical".

Welcome to my ignore list and we leave things here.

DDO has a Ravenloft campaign which is quite well done and enjoyable if you're so inclined!! :)

Thanks. I'm not into MMOs much, but I'll definitely take a look at that. :)

I think there is next to no chance of those settings appearing. Dark Sun was killed off by WotC right when they acquired TSR. Dragonlance didn't last much longer.

It looks more optimistic for Greyhawk, Eberron and Ravenloft who all got some 5e products.

What I would like to see is, in order of priority:
1. Any of the many realms of Faerun outside the Sword Coast.
2. Kara-Tur
3. Al-Qadim (Zakhara)
4. Maztica
5. Planescape

First four of those are located on the same planet.

I would love to see a game that takes place somewhere else on Faerun. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I'm not as excited over this announcement as some. Every modern crpg set in the Forgotten Realms has been on the Sword Coast - Icewind Dale.

Sure, its ok to be overhyped over so little information but not ok to be "cynical".

Oversimplification with lack of context to what I just explained, but yes? I mean there's only so many ways you can try and re-interpret "ass-hole" so it sounds better.

Man this topic is convoluted. I kickstarted Divinity OS 1 & 2 and I want to like them but I haven't quite gotten into them as much as Baldurs gate and other games that mimic the infinity engine. Man I liked Dragon age origins, and that is probably more to do with tricks of memory than the actual reality. Sigh, I will probably buy Baldurs Gate 3 but I hope they use it to tell a story of epic nature with relatable characters and complex systems that reward learning. Or at least complain about it to strangers in a forum.

I laughed my ass off. That guy. This was so well thought out. "I went for the eye", yaassss.
They know how to create hype and also confidence, gooood!

The cynical part in what "the naysayers· are doing, is that they don't even know any details of the game and you're already bombing it, when all that Larian has delivered is good news to the CRPG community. True, DOS wasn't very much liked by one of each ten RPG players judging from polls, but it was a big hit and it was done in that style because they chose it, not because they can't do it in any other way. Have the decency to at least give them the benefit of the doubt, jeez.

If the game turns out to suck, don't worry, you'll have time to flame it all you want, this same site will go up in flames, you can be sure of it. And then you can maliciouisly tap your fingertips together to savour the moment you were waiting for. For now there's no arguments to think that Larian will destroy the franchise, and much less after the video that prefaces this conversation, unless it's used to say "See? They are just TOO FUNNY!". In which case, god forbid them for having a sense of humour. Perhaps we should turn to EA/Bethesda opaque corporatism, right? Some people just can never be happy with anything.

Last edited:
Theres nobody flaming or bombing anything. All I saw are few posts from people who are saying they are not hyped because they are not fond of Larian herritage. Failing to see here whats wrong with that.

OT: Today I realise that I was right all allong the last two years:

This place is going the way of the Codex, which is a methaphora for going the way of the Dodo. So sad! (TM)

Theres nobody flaming or bombing anything. All I saw are few posts from people who are saying they are not hyped because they are not fond of Larian herritage. Failing to see here whats wrong with that.

I agree!
It is that strange attitude of this age I always have hard time to comprehend:
If you express your concern, your opinion in discussion or say some critique towards game or developer, you are HATER, you are flaming and bombing!
I mean really? I could hate somebody who did me great evil, but game!? What is going on with this overacting? Why there cant be normal discussion where all sides are presented, why only positive crap is allowed?
And what here is going RPGCodex way? As soon as someone says his mind,which isn't overhype/superpositive, is it straight shittalk?

Last edited:
I'd love to see a Dark Sun game or maybe something in the Raveloft setting, but I'm not holding my breath. Forgotten Realms is by far the most popular setting, and I don't see WotC rolling the dice (no pun intended) on something that might be less profitable.

They should through. Those settings are great material.

So, people don’t like the Original Sin games and are cynical, or at the very least not hyped, because of that. Others like the games and like Larian and are hyped.
There is however almost no information to go on, for whatever side of the argument.

This is supposed to be a discussion board, with people that have opinions. Preferably opinions that are not the same, otherwise what is the point of having a discussion?
That opinions of the ‘nay-sayers’ are based on previous experiences and assumptions and say nothing about BG3, would be a strange argument to make, as the opinions of the ones that are hyped are based on their previous experiences and assumptions as well and say nothing about BG3 either.
If the only counter-argument one can make consists of attacking others personally instead of addressing their arguments, we are really going in the wrong direction.

We can obviously talk about giving Larian the benefit of the doubt, which is a fair point to make. But is everybody really sure that they are consistent and give each and every game or developer that same benefit of the doubt?

I like to think there is room for people who like and dislike games, companies and whatnot on this site and everybody should be encouraged to speak out on that, which then can be discussed within the limits set for this site.

What I really really really dislike in D:OS is the camera - too close to the ground, feels uncomfortable for me. I hope this will improve.

I think my earlier post came out of frustration because baldur's gate series is dear to me and Larian happens to be well seasoned rpg developer whose backround seems like a good match for this project. Last two OS games were stellar hits and judging by the video the company is full of energy to deliver something fantastic once again.

I get that people have reservations. I'm not saying I'm perfect either. If they had given it to modern bioware, I'd probably be posting less enthusiastic comments as well.

Perhaps I'm just tired of thinking always the worst outcome. I get to do that a lot in my real life, so when it comes to videogames, I try to keep the positive mindset. Ofcourse there is always a chance that a project like this will fail. And perhaps Larian will just make DO3 and slap baldur's gate name on top of it and it will suck a lot. Then you can have your field day and say: "I told you so!. :p

Besides when an old heritage like this is revived, it can't be exactly like the old games. I hope they're not walking that road. Just capture that baldur's gate essence and design everything from scratch. Fallout New Vegas for instance proves that such thing is possible.

I think it's fair to not be hyped or keep a reserved judgement until you know more about the game. Some people are being very hyped, which I'm not fan of, but at least it's a positive reaction.What I don't understand is the gloomy negativism based around the fact that the company behind the game uses certain shade of humour in a couple of the games they have published, choosing to ignore how they are outlining that they are working closely with WotC and will adhere to its lore and setting because WotC wouldn't have given them the license to make the game to start with if they didn't think Larian capable.

My point is, you can be very hyped, you can be moderately optimistic (that's where I am personally), you can be kind of skeptical until you see more, and you can have any range of opinions. But at least let Larian show you something you can pick at before badmouthing it, other than "In the past they made a game where stealth turned you into a walking crate... they DEFINITELY will RUIN my exaggeratedly positive memory of the Baldur's Gate franchise!" Because despite the fact that they made award-winning CRPGs with nearly no budget or publicity, turns out that they are single minded drones that will apply their one-trick style to any game or setting you throw on their desk, sparing no love or respect for the most legendary setting of all when it comes to traditional role-play.

Either way, it's true, trying to "censor" people, even haters, is a bad thing and it shouldn't be done. Freedom of speech is a thing that luckily was achieved to a great degree in most of the world right now. It would just be great if that freedom of speech wasn't exercised baselessly.

The best recent Baldur's Gate like RPG was Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

But Larian showed in their recent games that they are capable of making a worthy BG successor. I hope the combat will be turn-based and not RTwP.

We can say a lot about Larian (I really liked DOS2 but did not enjoy DOS1) but those guys do quality games, love what they are doing and if they love BG as most of the people here why would they kill it by delivering something which would not fit the background?

By the way, BG in the canonical tabletop sourcebooks was not documented that well, with just few lines here and there. It had nothing of the lavish love places like Waterdeep received. This has changed a lot with the last editions of D&D with few adventures and sourcebooks dedicated to it like Murders in Baldur's Gates. So that city and the what happens in there is really important for WotC and there is no chance than they would let them roam freely if they even ever wanted to do that in the first place.

It also means than like Pathfinder Kingmaker the source of the content will be tabletop material which sounds better than pure crpg most of the time.

I do think BG3 may become the most hyped game since CD Project's 2077. It is for me anyway. I am still hyped for 2077, but my preference is always fantasy over cyber-punk. We shall see if it lives up to the hype, but I think, at least so far anyway, there is nothing bad from what we have seen that detracts from BG 3. Nothing substantial, anyway.

Edited: Hell, this would be a cool poll. Does the prospect of BG 3 make you more hyped than Cyberpunk 2077?

I can't be the only one! And I'm not trying to pour gasoline on the fire here, just giving my honest opinion...:biggrin:

Bingo never said anything negative just voiced a few concerns.

Here they are for reference.

1. Not fond of there Humor Style
2. Not fond of constant Environmental Explosions

Now having said that I will wait for more footage and details.
Edited: Hell, this would be a cool poll. Does the prospect of BG 3 make you more hyped than Cyberpunk 2077?
Cyberpunk 2077 sorry it has me more hyped.

Neither for me - not hyped about anything at the moment but looking forward to Realms Beyond.

I think Cyberpunk have potential to be great but I'm not interested in cyperpunky game.

If someone is going to make a poll on that, please include "neither" option :p

Back
Top Bottom