Risen First Impressions

Perhaps it looks less expensive because it is. PB didn't have a huge budget for Risen, and I think they did a great job with the visuals. PB games have always been more about artistic style and atmosphere rather than mind blowing graphics. Gothic 3 was the exception, and ironically their worst game.
Heh… it seems that when I mention 'artistic style' I'm referring to something a bit more extreme that most people do. :biggrin:
I'm actually talking about something like this or this.

Oh well… I lost interest in Risen too soon (temporarily most likely)… it's back to adventures for the time being for me (I had to expect that after daring to play Dreamfall - great great great half-"game". I'll give Overclocked a chance now instead)

I started the game this weekend on my 360. Played about 6 hours. I'm hooked.

We all know the graphics are crappy on the 360 version, so I won't belabor that. Let me skip to the things I like.

1. How open it is. The game puts you on a strange island and leaves you to figure pretty much everything out for yourself. I like that.

2. The slow levelling. I get a sense that I have little or nothing to show for myself, and that I am going to have to make my way up in this world slowly.

3. No world-levelling. A few angry birds can kill me. Yay. It really adds to the sense of danger.

4. Exploration is a big factor. I can strike out on my own and see what's around that next bend. Usually, it's something interesting. Sometimes, it's something deadly.

5. The quests are designed (at least in the bandit camp, which is where I am) to play off each other in an interactive web, which is unlike other RPGs I've played, where quests are more disconnected. It feels like I'm having an effect on a community, not just checking off a checklist for individual NPCs. This is one of the most unique qualities. Must be a Pirhana Bytes thing.

6. Voice acting is quite good.

7. The NPCs have distinct personalities.

8. The economy is stingy. Gold means something here.

I'm really liking the game so far.

I actually replayed it during easter. It struck me (again) just how good Risen is. Hopefully PB is working on a game related to Risen as we speak (PBs next title is something I'm looking forward to hearing about).

Well it's about time… :thumbsup:

I know! :) I'm a little late on the uptake, but sometimes that works out well for me. Especially with games like this, I like to immerse myself in the game and form my own impressions. Having a bunch of other people playing alongside me, virtually speaking, and sharing their impressions as I'm playing through, can get confusing … their opinions start to affect my experience of the game.

I can get a clearer, more personal experience if I play through after the crowd has passed. The tradeoff is that the discussion can get a little lonely, and I end up feeling like I'm talking to myself.

Anyhow, I'm still digging Risen. Playing it every day, looking forward to it each evening after the tasks of the day are done. I was enjoying just exploring the countryside yesterday. Got myself into a little trouble after a while … I'm Level 7 now, about to set off to visit Harbor City for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom