Risen Improved graphics for Risen

I'll make 1 more comparison the next time I play. I'll try to get it in a forest scenery. Although, I wish they created the same 'blurry scenery' effect which was in G3, that was beautiful.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 131
The blurry scenery looks like crap, not sure what you were seeing in G3, it kills all details.

Here's some comparision pictures.

Drawing distance:
kaehnaacg.jpg

Before

kaehmaacg.jpg

After

Shadows:
maejhaacg.jpg

Before

maejkaacg.jpg

After

Vegetation:
maejnaacg.jpg

Before

maejoaacg.jpg

After

Last edited:
This does not work for the steam version, anyone know how to get this to work in the steam version?

Are you able to find configUser.xml and configDefault.xml files?

What happens when you replace the file and start the game?

You could try to manually compare the files and copy the new lines from my xml to yours.

Can't see the shadows and vegetation screens.

Images fixed.

Alternatively, you can try to use this method.

Hey Ergonpandilus, your character in the first two screens looks like a cockroach standing up, lol :D.

"To make these changes apply, you need to delete your configUser.xml file and reconfigure your settings."

But aren't the changes lost if I delete the file?

I thought only the correct lines have to be editied.

You only need to delete configuser.xml, if you make the changes directly to defaulconfig.xml (in Risen folder).

Got it working after, strange.

Great! :)

Hey Ergonpandilus, your character in the first two screens looks like a cockroach standing up, lol .

Heh, yes it does look like a cockroach. :D But that shield is actually very beautiful and has a nice glittering effect on it.

The difference in the Drawing distance is amazing.
I'll definitely apply it once I have a better rig.
Thanks

Looks great, but what kind of system would you need to be able to play like that? I imagine only a very high-end rig would be able to run Risen smoothly with that draw distance.

My mid-range rig (Core 2 Duo 6700, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS 512) runs Risen pretty smooth at the default draw distance at 1280x1024 with all options on high, but struggles a bit in certain places - Harbor City, the Swamp during weather effects, etc.

Thanks for the advice Arhu.

@JDR13:
I'm currently running Risen in 1680x1050 (with those tweaks) with AMD Phenon II 905E x4, 4GB and ATI Radeon 4850 in Win7. So I don't either have that powerful rig, but the frame rate is constantly 30 or more. I've heard that Risen is quite CPU hungry, so maybe that Phenon II is helping me... And you can of course take only part of the tweaks or change them whatever suits you. ;)

Looks great, but what kind of system would you need to be able to play like that? I imagine only a very high-end rig would be able to run Risen smoothly with that draw distance.

My mid-range rig (Core 2 Duo 6700, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS 512) runs Risen pretty smooth at the default draw distance at 1280x1024 with all options on high, but struggles a bit in certain places - Harbor City, the Swamp during weather effects, etc.

I think turning the graphics up does make this video limited. Looking at Task Manager, my E6600 seems to be running one core at 80% and the other around 60%. My GTX 260 is giving me fluid frames though, with the draw distance tweaked right up. I can feel it slowing in some cases, but not down to anything unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom