Risen Faces

lostforever

SasqWatch
So far I have one pet peeve with Risen and that is Faces!

Most faces are ugly but that does not bother me but it's the lack of variety which does!

I think there are about 5 or 6 different faces for the males apart from some key NPCs.

I may be seeing things but all the women have exact same face! If you ignore Patty, there are 2 types of outfits (Farmer's wife and prostitute) for the women in Harbour town.

It's very easy to see that everything in Risen is labour of love expect the faces and the women!

Surly it does not take that much dev time to come up with more faces and bit more outfit types?

If you think face cloning is bad, listen to the game's voice-overs sometime. You'll hear less than 6 males, and probably 2 females for all of the game's NPCs. Even Oblivion (which is criticized for having so few) has more than Risen.

I will say this however - due to the lack of uniqueness and inflection in the voices, it is possible to pull it off without making it too obvious.

There are a few more faces than voices, which helps a bit, but nowhere near as many as Oblivion in that regard. And so yes, it is noticeable.

unfortunately lack of VO variety is a recurring theme in all Gothic series but to their credit they did get John Rhys-Davies and Andy Serkis this time. for the complete list of voice actors, see the end of the manual.

when it comes to women-folk, PB is still taking baby steps, i guess. iirc, gothic 1 had only one female character and that too without any dialog.

Yeah, I really have to wonder what the deail is with PB and women.

I think the problem is there is not a single woman working for PB... and I wounder if any of the guys working in PB have any girlfriends/wifes........

I think the problem is there is not a single woman working for PB… and I wounder if any of the guys working in PB have any girlfriends/wifes……..

There were was photo of PB team members (can't find the bloody link) and I think I saw at least 2 woman in there.

I am not one of those people who complain cos you can't play as woman but I do expect lot more woman (hopefully interesting) characters in living breathing world. I am not talking about sexism and stuff but from the point of view of immersion.

So I have to say Patty was sight to the sore eyes :)

There were was photo of PB team members (can't find the bloody link) and I think I saw at least 2 woman in there.

yes, the manual has the group photo of the dev team and there are some women in the team.

and Patty also holds the distinction of being the 1st lady teacher/trainer in the Gothic series. :D

Yes, the manual; 21 men - 2 women? But what did those women do?
About girlfriends/wives. I know that at least one of them has a wife (no, not me) and that she has played Risen as well.

Based on what I know: PB is aware that their game(s) attract female gamers as well. Apart from that, IMHO most of devs in the game industry seems to be female friendly IRL.

I think the problem is that they concentrate too much on what they think their male audience would prefer to see. And I guess they assume that even 25+ men prefer to see stuff that's a turn on for 25- men. Under the pretext of 'boys will be boys'?

Or perhaps that's far-fetched, perhaps it's that they simply find it too tricky to put themselves in women's shoes… Because of the female captain, Kathryn Janeway, the male writers of Star Trek Voyager, Rick Berman and Michael Piller, asked Jeri Taylor to join the team… I've read somewhere that there's a correlation between women in a dev team and female characters in the game (i.e. NOT being some sort of furniture).

Edit:
O, forget the line about they're concentrating too much on what they think an immature male audience would prefer to see - there would be more women then, scarcely dressed for sure…

Last edited:
and Patty also holds the distinction of being the 1st lady teacher/trainer in the Gothic series. :D

I think that particular distinction is being held by Cassia, the leader of Gothic 2 thieves guild.

The voices are generally good in my opinion. My beef with the voices in Oblivion were not the lack of variety, but the inconsistency - you could hear two or even three different voices coming from the same person (!), switching in the middle of the dialogue. In Risen, all the dialogue is voiced very well (probably the best PB has done).

I agree that the faces could've been better. Jasmine the hunter has a unique look, as do most main characters, but there should've been more unique characters. Oh well, it's not something I'll consider a major drawback, as there are more important areas to put resources into.

I think that particular distinction is being held by Cassia, the leader of Gothic 2 thieves guild.

lol, how did i miss that? thanks for pointing it out. :)

Back
Top Bottom