Risen If you enjoy Risen and haven't played Gothic 2...

Looks like polish or some other eastern european language to me - the comments at the bottom of the page anyway.

Seems Polish to me.

The YouTube clip is in Polish, titled something like "Misterious places in G2 mod Khorana Prolog". But the video is a big spoiler, the locations shown are meant as a surprise for the player. The mod Khorana Prolog itself is German, here:
http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_290.htm

Here's also an older demo (just for the curious, it plays only on a small cut-out part of the island from the Prolog, and there's almost no story, but you may try it first if you want), and some music:
http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_108.htm
http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_131.htm

Sadly it's unlikely that the mod will be developed further, but the released prolog is excellent and very worth playing. (But their homepage appears to be hacked since not long ago, because when I was there this week, I got a warning from antivirus program about some Javascript exploit. So currently I'd rather not give the link there.)

Thanks Ondo. I'm so used to Gothic mods being in German that just assumed it was without really looking at the text.

Intro movies are only that but some are so well done that they setup very well the mood. I still remember how fake and too long was the intro movie of Drakensang and I recently launch again Majesty 1 and even if the graphics was ugly that's one of the best intro movies I know.

The Witcher had also a very good intro movies, I watch it very often before starting the game.

Having played both Risen and Gothic3 (twice now), I should probably give Gothic2 another chance - especially with this mod.

I did try to get into it a few years back but the graphics were just a tad too primitive after having finished G3. I know that attitude won't gain me much respect here though! ;-)

Having played both Risen and Gothic3 (twice now), I should probably give Gothic2 another chance - especially with this mod.

Forget the mod, just get Gothic 2 Gold. Don't worry so much about the graphics either, the story and gameplay are far superior to Gothic 3.

I have Risen, Gothic 3, and Gothic 2/NoTR but havent finished any of them yet. The original Gothic is definitely one of my favorite all-time games, if not THE favorite of mine, but when I first started Gothic 2, I didnt have NoTR, and for some reason I couldnt get into it as much as the original. I thought the game was still fantastic, but the running around to farms at the beginning of the game got quite boring to me. I made it to 3rd chapter (I think it was) where you go into the VoM and to the human castle there, but that is when I stopped playing. I couldnt figure out a way to get back and forth to the castle without having to chug speed potions and running like hell. It felt a bit wonky to me.

That said, I recently got ahold of the NoTR expansion and plan on giving it another go. When I played the first Gothic, I played as a mage and had a blast, but with G2 I found myself going the paladin route. Maybe if I start again and play as a mage this time also, I will have more fun. I know the game is going to be great, but Im not sure I can stomach going through the first and second chapters again. I really really really want to like this, and really would like to move on with the series and Risen

That said, I recently got ahold of the NoTR expansion and plan on giving it another go. When I played the first Gothic, I played as a mage and had a blast, but with G2 I found myself going the paladin route. Maybe if I start again and play as a mage this time also, I will have more fun. I know the game is going to be great, but Im not sure I can stomach going through the first and second chapters again. I really really really want to like this, and really would like to move on with the series and Risen

Gothic 2+NotR is a completely different game than vanilla G2. The expansion adds more characters, items, monsters, quests, and a large new area to visit. It puts G2 on par with G1, and maybe even exceeds it.

It also increases the difficulty by quite a bit though, you have to very careful how you spend your LPs.

I made it to 3rd chapter (I think it was) where you go into the VoM and to the human castle there, but that is when I stopped playing. I couldnt figure out a way to get back and forth to the castle without having to chug speed potions and running like hell. It felt a bit wonky to me.
So you dind't find out you can move rather freely by using transformation scrolls? Just make sure to transform back before a human sees you.

NotR plays only in the first two chapters. Playing a mage is no good idea because it's already too late when you get decent spells.
G2 Gold is the best Gothic, but it's very difficult.

Gothic 2+NotR is a completely different game than vanilla G2. The expansion adds more characters, items, monsters, quests, and a large new area to visit. It puts G2 on par with G1, and maybe even exceeds it.

It also increases the difficulty by quite a bit though, you have to very careful how you spend your LPs.

I definitely think G2 with NotR is better than G1.

Gorath, no I didnt think of that :) I would just chug speed potions and run like hell with a line of orcs hot on my tail, and hopefully I was running in the right direction to get out of there :)

Old thread but I wanted to get in on the G1/G2 praise. They are still the best single player experiences I have ever had in an RPG. As much as I tried to love it, G3 was poor unfortunately. Risen is amazing. Viva La Gothic.

Back
Top Bottom