Best RPG of the 2010s?

Had Blackguards come out in 2013 though… well, the chart for that year only has 8 games total for it's top 10, we couldn't even name a 9th or 10th position. And who won that year? Mass Effect 3, a game that has gone down in the annuls in infamy rather than must-play classic.

Not sure I agree with that. Certainly on this board, ME3 was panned for being a shooter, but overall most thought it was an excellent game. The controversy over the last 3 minutes got out of hand, but that was really the only legitimate gripe people had, whether you liked shooters or not. And of course the bitching led an entire studio to pander by changing things and creating DLC.

yes, it's amazing how an ending to a popular series can create such a commotion of anger. I mean, the ending to game of thrones is just a few minutes…

Also: citation needed. Who are these 'most'? Most here? Most there? Most somewhere?

Most anticipated games of the decade:

2013: Star Citizen
2014: Star Citizen
2015: Star Citizen
2016: Star Citizen
2017: Star Citizen
2018: Star Citizen
2019: Star Citizen

My vote for 2020 and beyond: Star Citizen

yes, it's amazing how an ending to a popular series can create such a commotion of anger. I mean, the ending to game of thrones is just a few minutes…

Also: citation needed. Who are these 'most'? Most here? Most there? Most somewhere?

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mass-effect-3

I don't have time to filter 6500 user scores, but the vast majority of negative ratings were people raging about the ending. 23 critics averaged 89 score and while some I'm sure were biased in some way, it's still one of the highest rated games on their site.

As a side note about user scores, the current user score for Red Dead Redemption 2 is a 4.2, and it's 'widely considered' one of the best games of the last several years. In this case, user scores were heavily weighted by people ranting about it being broken on PC, which it is (it won't even start up on my brand new laptop).

RDR2 is not 4.2.
Regardless of bugs here and there plus unbelievably bad both code and data optimization, it's painfully mediocre - IMO deserves to be somewhere between 5-6.
But it's not RPG. So it's popularity and sales doesn't matter much for a potential list we'd make.

ME3 is per user score also, IMO, too low.
The red green blue Evangelionlike ending sucked and I can't think of a personality who'd like what Bioware made there. But it's not just ending that stinks. It's story critical DLC sold separately and buyable only with scammy Bioware points, it's ME3 mmo part and it's prepatch design where it was impossible to get the best end unless you play either mmo or buy all DLC from ME2 and ME3.
EA wrongdoing aside as we should concentrate on a game and not it's king of hell publisher, ME3 still has plenty of redeeming features to deserve at least 8.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker in first place by far. The rest were... meh :p The other two would be Mass Effect 2 and Expeditions: Viking.

What I find fascinating and extremely telling about your response to my post is that I made a post to highlight a game which deserves more attention than it got, a game which had the unfortunate luck of being released in the only year in which we could legitimately describe ourselves as being inundated with new decent RPGs, the only year that happened in that decade. I chose to highlight a game that is undeservedly genuinely overlooked as a classic of the era.

And what do you take from my post? You want to rush to the defence of a game I mentioned briefly in passing as being 'infamous' "rather than must play classic". A game and series that requires no additional support to highlight it's cRPG historical significance and a game which you yourself admit is only borderline RPG genre anyway, or at least hybrid with an FPS.

Further more, you then decide that the use of the word 'infamous' is in someway a description of the quality of the game and make an inference that the word infamous is therefore incorrect, when infamous is exactly the word to describe ME3, regardless of any discussion of its quality.

By doing so you are implying ME3 is a must-play classic, as that's the only other thing I said about it, to which, no, it's the third part in a series and it's the least popular of the series, regardless of why. If you're going to mark ME3 down as a must-play classic then you might as well call every game ever a must play classic, you're getting to that level of blind fanboyism.

And just to add insult to injury, in a request for a citation for your use of the word 'most' you provide a link which quite clearly shows 'most' people giving the game negative reviews FOR WHATEVER REASON. And so you are now redefining the word 'most' to mean something that is not 'most'.

Do I need to 'in a nutshell' the entire essence of the 'problem' of the nature of these discussions any more than what this brief exchange provides?

No game is a mustplay classic.
Except Drakensang TDE. :)

Buuut... It's from 2008 so it can't be on the list suggested here. :(

And I guess that's, again, the only part of that post you will choose to focus on?

Not sure I agree with that. Certainly on this board, ME3 was panned for being a shooter, but overall most thought it was an excellent game. The controversy over the last 3 minutes got out of hand, but that was really the only legitimate gripe people had, whether you liked shooters or not. And of course the bitching led an entire studio to pander by changing things and creating DLC.
As a fan of every Mass Effect game the extended cut ending did not really pander. It just added more content leading up to the same endings. So nothing changed at all.

What pissed me off was the bitching for Andromeda had every DLC cancelled.:(

Rated F for Fun

RPG
Divinity: Original Sin
Underrail
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Fallout: New Vegas

Roguelike
Rimworld
Dungeons of Dredmor

Tactics
XCOM
XCOM 2

Hack n' Slash
Grim Dawn

*I still haven't really dived into Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I guess it seems a daunting time commitment. Christmas holidays will allow me to focus on getting stuck in.

Back
Top Bottom