38 Studios - Schilling Responds

What's really sad about this is that, although it was a somewhat flawed game, it was a good first effort and about 1000x better than Diablo 3. >_<

Too quick to disagree. You clearly didn't read what I wrote. And I still think you're wrong (but saying so with all due respect).

Uh no. Seems like you're unwilling to accept baldfaced hypocrisy, nor willing to read what I wrote.

Government funded businesses runs completely counter to standard laissez faire rightie economic theory, and their screams about wasted money on bailouts and stimulus. And yet this guy got a loan from the state.

Thanks on your wishes. But trust me when I say this - I would never make such fuss all over internet about losing my job. Especially when there are so many different jobs out there I can apply on - but OMG is it even possible - none of those is one of these:
1. designing an endless mobrespawning game
2. trying to sell such thing in 3+ million copies
3. writing a review how a certain endless mobrespawning game is a dawn of new era, the next big thing, so perfect product noone will resist and similar crap

Did I mention BIS? Yea… Well… Instead of weeks of fuss, most of them simply made Obsidian and are back in the business. Why 38 studios can't do the same thing? I'll tell you why. Because they still want to make endless mobrespawning games that can't get 3+ million audience and are now whining on facebook, twitter, blog, etc.

No. Ensemble Studios is dead for example. Their games ain't RPG and I feel sorry they're closed.
I specifically said what games I mean - I'll gloat whenever an endless mobrespawning developer is shut down. More of those cease to exist, more nonmobrespawning I'll get.

Yeah, lets shut down more studios that is good for the business, and your views are so off base you look ridiculous.

Yeah, lets shut down more studios that is good for the business, and your views are so off base you look ridiculous.

Take it easy guys.

Joxer, you in the UK? I think this can be explained with simple cultural differences.

I work in a European company with a wide range of nationalities. Only yesterday we were chatting about the different cultures of employment even within Europe - some countries have the expectation of a job for a long time, life even, and as such when someone is unemployed it's a big thing and it's hard to find a new job. On the other hand in some countries, like the US, and the UK, it's relatively rare to have a job (in the private sector) that's for life, and perhaps as a consequence there's a turnover in jobs and it's comparatively easy to find a job when you are unemployed.

So I can see that someone from the US/UK is going to have a very different reaction to a studio closure to someone from those countries in Europe, and comments made about employment might be taken the wrong way by someone in a different culture.

This is all understandable, and once you experience/understand different cultures it puts it into perspective and we can communicate on the same level of understanding.

In this case, we are talking about a US studio, so I am inclined to agree with some of the sentiment (if not the manner of expression) of Joxer's post - these guys will be in employment again soon enough. I don't agree however that every one of these employees is responsible for the design of the game (which I enjoyed, anyway). If the design of the game was wrong, then the business men will see that and say next time, we don't do that. In the mean time all the talented programmers, artists, writers etc. can be put to use on whatever.

Except it was the MMO, not the single player that failed.

Back
Top Bottom