|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » VtM: Bloodlines - Paradox Considering Sequel

Default VtM: Bloodlines - Paradox Considering Sequel

May 21st, 2018, 23:37
@DSOGaming Paradox Interactive are looking into a sequel for Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines is considered nowadays a classic PC RPG. Created by Troika Games, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines was plagued by a number of bugs and issues that were resolved by its community. And according to Paradox’s CEO, the team is looking into a sequel.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

May 21st, 2018, 23:42
Didn't see that coming.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2018, 00:02
Without knowing who would be working on it, it doesn't mean much. Give a quality IP to the wrong people and you get Deus Ex: Invisible War, Return To Krondor or one of any number of other ball-dropping sequels.

khaight

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2018, 00:18
Obsidian would be the most obvious choice; they're got prior collaborations with Paradox and 2/3 of Troika's founders (Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky) are now there. Ideally they'd also bring in Jason Andersen, Brian Mitsoda, and any of the other original designers / writers if possible. Additional bonus is that Sawyer is taking a break from directing so he won't be put in charge & demand balance!

Of course, bringing in the original developers isn't guarantee of success. That's what inXile did for TToN & yet seems many fans of P:T were disappointed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

May 22nd, 2018, 00:25
They're looking to cash in on the name of course. Paradox has never released anything other than strategy games, and now they suddenly want to do a sequel to a classic crpg?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2018, 00:26
Paradox bought White Wolf back in 2015 from EVE Online firm CCP ,and this rumor has been going around since then. Hopefully something happens but don't hold your breath.
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

May 22nd, 2018, 00:44
Great. Each vampire in the game will be a DLC.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2018, 00:50
Originally Posted by you View Post
Great. Each vampire in the game will be a DLC.
Haha, that was almost exactly my first thought - each clan a DLC.

Re a sequel… Will believe it when I see it.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2018, 01:12
Originally Posted by khaight View Post
Give a quality IP to the wrong people and you get Deus Ex: Invisible War,
But Invisible War was developed by the same studio as the original Deus Ex… Did they become the "wrong" people inbetween the two? No, Invisible War sucked because of decisions made, largely because it was targetted at consoles.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 22nd, 2018, 01:28
I hope they approach CD Projekt. Short of that I am hoping for Nightdive Studios. At least they will try to be faithful to the feel of the original game.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

May 22nd, 2018, 01:33
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Paradox has never released anything other than strategy games, and now they suddenly want to do a sequel to a classic crpg?
Actually they were the publisher for both Pillars of Eternity 1 and Tyranny.
Makes Obsidian a more likely developer. Maybe?

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

May 22nd, 2018, 01:59
Originally Posted by khaight View Post
Without knowing who would be working on it, it doesn't mean much. Give a quality IP to the wrong people and you get Deus Ex: Invisible War, Return To Krondor or one of any number of other ball-dropping sequels.
Sorry but IMO Return to Krondor was a great game. Not spectacular ofc, but still great.
The sequel that sucked though was Betrayal in Antara.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2018, 02:14
There's not a developer out there as currently constructed that can make this how it should be. They need to get together and form a super team. You need Brian Mitsoda, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky + a budget to start. Maybe sprinkle some Chris Avellone in there, and I like Brian Fargo and InXile in terms of how they approach the Kickstarter Era games (InXile's games are the most old-school and traditional of the latest CRPGs, IMO. Almost to a fault if you base their success on sales.)

Until they really say they are going in hard on a project like this then I'm not expecting much. Time for another VtM: Bloodlines replay soon in the meantime.

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)

May 22nd, 2018, 02:50
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I hope they approach CD Projekt. Short of that I am hoping for Nightdive Studios. At least they will try to be faithful to the feel of the original game.
Nightdive???? Oh noes
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

May 22nd, 2018, 02:54
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
Nightdive???? Oh noes
Is this because of the System Shock thing? I think they are back on track with that.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

May 22nd, 2018, 04:57
Love the original game to death, but Paradox…..dunno. Doesn't seem their style at all, and I would fear the sheer shower of extra content that you'd have to buy in the future to have the entire game.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 22nd, 2018, 07:20
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Obsidian would be the most obvious choice; they're got prior collaborations with Paradox and 2/3 of Troika's founders (Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky) are now there. Ideally they'd also bring in Jason Andersen, Brian Mitsoda, and any of the other original designers / writers if possible. Additional bonus is that Sawyer is taking a break from directing so he won't be put in charge & demand balance!

Of course, bringing in the original developers isn't guarantee of success. That's what inXile did for TToN & yet seems many fans of P:T were disappointed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Paradox are extremely unlikely to work with Obsidian ever again, also, Tim & Leonard are working on their own game for Take2.

And technically, a new Vampire game could go in an entirely new direction while still being billed as "Bloodlines" 2, with a new developer.

Polyester

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2018, 07:32
Originally Posted by Polyester View Post
Paradox are extremely unlikely to work with Obsidian ever again, also, Tim & Leonard are working on their own game for Take2.
Has anymore info been shared yet besides the publisher, and a possible 2019 release?
Originally Posted by Polyester View Post
And technically, a new Vampire game could go in an entirely new direction while still being billed as "Bloodlines" 2, with a new developer.
Sadly this is correct given spiritual remakes.
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Love the original game to death, but Paradox…..dunno. Doesn't seem their style at all, and I would fear the sheer shower of extra content that you'd have to buy in the future to have the entire game.
Paradox tried to make other games beside grand strategy but they get cancelled eventually. Just look at RuneMaster an RPG/Strategy hybrid, and it was promising.
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

+1:

May 22nd, 2018, 08:00
Oof.
I really don't know any current developer that could live up to the task.
This game is too dear to me to see it become another "open world hype" thing.

TheSHEEEP

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2018, 10:58
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Has anymore info been shared yet besides the publisher, and a possible 2019 release?
Sadly this is correct given spiritual remakes.
Paradox tried to make other games beside grand strategy but they get cancelled eventually. Just look at RuneMaster an RPG/Strategy hybrid, and it was promising.
I'm thinking we'll hear more about it at E3 in a couple of weeks.

The first (Redemtion) and the 2nd (Bloodlines) Vampire games have barely anything in common, beside being in the same universe. I'm saying a 3rd Vampire game could continue the tradition.

Not to mention I firmly believe Paradox would be immensely stupid to bill a new Vampire game as Bloodlines 2. At best, they'll bring in a loyal, but small fanbase, at worst - all the hate from it.

They also work with a lot of external developers, could have gotten some one to do a Vampire game for them. Larian, for example, they seem to be big enough now, could do something like that.

On another note, wiki says White Wolf are operating as an indipendant subsidiary, and have licenced a Werewolf board game to Focus Home Interactive, to be developed by Cyanide. Meaning, at this point at least, any future Vampire games could have absolutely nothing to do with Paradox.

Polyester

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » VtM: Bloodlines - Paradox Considering Sequel