Nyrthos - Browser RPG Revealed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I bookmarked this during the week and have only just got back to it. Nyrthos (not to be confused by our site owner Myrthos) is a browser-based RPG with rather nice 2D art. The actual gameplay is a little confusing at the moment, with the FAQ saying "we were inspired by genre classics like Diablo 1 and 2 or the Gothic series". From the "basic gameplay section":
You will have a whole bunch of ways to enjoy yourself in the land of Nyrthos. Fighting, crafting, building, exploring.. you name it.
Prepare to fight and kill on your way to glory and honor, build and manage your settlement, defend endless waves of monsters and most of all, cooperate with others to decide the fate of the world of Nyrthos.
Hopefully, you will be able to take care of yourself to survive.. and maybe, maybe.. you will be strong enough to get to places noone has ever been to before.
Although the game is not multiplayer (at the moment) they also describe some cooperative features, though it isn't clear how this will work:
How can the players decide the fate of Nyrthos?

There are multiple ways this will happens, and we do not want to share evenrything just yet. But for example, there might be a broken bridge across a river; the cave complex right behind it is thus inaccessible. The bridge can be built, but only after a certain amount of wooden planks is gathered. It is a pretty big task, so players have to cooperate to make it happen and it will probably take some time. And after the operation is successful, the area will be opened for everybody. Still, this is just a basic example.
There will be many locations that players can influence together, be it the physical world, political events or story development; and on much smaller and much larger scale.
More information.

The art style and mentioning gothic series and crafting, building, exploring being able to afect the world, grabed my attention and I will watch very patiently for this game and try it out as soon as oportunity appears to.

I can never seem to get too excited about browser based games. I guess that makes me a platform snob.

I can never seem to get too excited about browser based games. I guess that makes me a platform snob.
Well, that makes two of us.
I demand a proper stand-alone full screen client for my gaming experiences.

Hey Guys!

My name is Martin and I am one of the Nyrthos Devs; I tracked this site via our Google Analytics; had no idea about its existence before that. A good find I would say.

First of all, thank you so much for mentioning our game!

Second of all - we obviously failed a little there with our site. We just thought that we should put it up and send a few e-mails to spread the word about Nyrthos. The idea was to get a few people interested and registered for the beta and see if anyone likes it. And things went far faster than expected :) I cannot express how awesome it is for a tiny indie studio like BeerDeer!

In case you are interested, I will happy to respond to questions you might have on this forum, as we still have none on our site. Otherwise, an update of our web is being worked on at the moment, to provide you with more specific information about the game.

Thanks again, hope to see you guys in Nyrthos!
Martin

Hey Guys! My name is Martin and I am one of the Nyrthos Devs; I tracked this site via our Google Analytics; had no idea about its existence before that. A good find I would say.

Hello! Thanks for visiting us!

Your game looks interesting and I will probably check it out when you're done. I'm usually turned off by browser based games but if your game is fun I would still play it anyway. I'm just glad whenever I learn of anyone making RPGs.

I saw that it was coming to iOS as well. Does this mean we can seamlessly play on our phones and browsers? Will progress carry over between these platforms?

The art looks nice. It looks like a potential hit for mobile.

Hi! Thanks for a warm welcome and for kind words, MadGamer.

I completely respect your point of view concerning browser based games and know the points behind it. Some of these games obviously have a bad reputation :)

The reason behind us working with "browser-based" is the unmatched accessibility of this platform, and it is OUR job to persuade you guys that Nyrthos will be a fun experience :) Won't work for all, might work for some.. there's only one way to find out!

Last edited:
I saw that it was coming to iOS as well. Does this mean we can seamlessly play on our phones and browsers? Will progress carry over between these platforms?

The art looks nice. It looks like a potential hit for mobile.

Hi!
In the multiplatformity, the demon lies! :)
It brings many exciting opportunities that we want to explore. The ultimate goal is to carry the progress as you mentioned it; still, there are some obstacles that we have to overcome.
The biggest concern we have is the difference between controls; it's a problem to balance a game that will be played on a mouse/keyboard combo and also on a touchscreen.
There are multiple ideas we came up with to make the connection, and we will have players test them and see what works the best.

Being a US citizen, I just want to know this: why is your English better than mine? :p

PS Looking forward to seeing those videos.

Tried many browser RPGs, playing for 2 years only one: http://www.the-west.net/
Unlike many others that look too similar to each other, this one has a team minigame, and doesn't load endless flash data.

As usual, I'll check Nyrthos too, but if it's yet another flash clone... I'll probably delete in a day or two. I simply don't like that stuff, although many ppl love it. Honestly even if I don't like it, it's actually a great news that another RPG is about to start.

Project Zomboid changed my view on browser games forever. Before I thought they were cute little things to play at work, but PZ is as good as any "normal" game I've played.

This looks great. I'm very interested in seeing more of it.

Hi! Thanks for a warm welcome and for kind words, MadGamer.

You're welcome!

I'm getting old, grumpy and set in my ways. I often daydream about DOS and the lovely times I had with autoexec.bat and config.sys not to mention expanded and extended memory management. Gone are the days who could make the most elegant DOS autostart menu with the later versions of MS DOS.

Actually that is all lies except for the old, grumpy and set in my ways part. But I do like the art direction of your game and will be interested to learn more about the gameplay as time goes by. I will keep an open mind about the 'browser based' part.

Browser games could be as good as any other game. Just look at Drakensang Online.
It looks no worse than Diablo 3

And Nyrthos Devs

I am playing on Asus Transformer. And would be happy to give beta feedback when time comes.

i dont see any problem running a game in a browser.

i just hope it wont be a pay 2 win game, like all this far east crap from china

Back
Top Bottom