Another PC hater died

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who this guy is but I had lot of fun playing many Nintendo games when I was young. If he was part of any of those games, then thanks for the fun times and RIP.

@Dart,@Blogger: If I may be so free: I would prefer if you two would continue your discussion elsewhere. There's a time and place for everything, and this particular thread doesn't seem the place for a this kind of longish debate to me.

Just a wish, I speak only for myself, but hopefully it makes sense. You are of course free to do whatever you want, no hard feelings.

pibbur

@Dart,@Blogger: If I may be so free: I would prefer if you two would continue your discussion elsewhere. There's a time and place for everything, and this particular thread doesn't seem the place for a this kind of longish debate to me.

Just a wish, I speak only for myself, but hopefully it makes sense. You are of course free to do whatever you want, no hard feelings.

pibbur

Sure, if it's important to you - I'll let it rest.

As for what txa or pibbur said, I don't see how that's relevant here. It's as if you think I want to communicate in a way that you can approve of? I'm not looking for any kind of approval.

Oh really. And there's you lecturing joxer on the concept of 'Tastelessness'. And lecturing me on the meaning of words.

No, really mate, you are totally on my ignore list for real now.

If you don't have the compassion or empathy to care at least have the common decency to shut the hell up and keep it to yourself.
Oh but I do care. If I didn't, I'd ignore the whole thing, wouldn't I?

On the count of compassion and empathy, all I'll say you reap what you saw. Feel free to spit on my own grave if I ever made your life miserable, I will not object. I don't expect any mercy from those I didn't treat equally.
In the meantime, I'll continue helping every single person in need if I can.

You're suggesting an anticensorsip person to censor their thoughs. Their feelings.
Not gonna happen as I refuse to change.

You have two options. Wait till staff bans me for being... "lawful evil"?
Or just put me on your ignorelist.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. Dart is merely providing a public service to watch members - helping them recognize and cope with their inadequacies. And it's all free of charge. I had a great session just yesterday and I'm already improving.

lackblogger - I don't think I displayed 'indignation' ... and trust me, I do it here often enough in the P&R forum that there should be a clear difference ;)

I am just not a fan of celebrating the death of anyone.

Death is coming for all of us, no matter what we do or who we are. I just don't see it as a cause to rejoice while others close to that person mourn.

And certainly not someone who has made a life trying to increase the enjoyment of liesure time for billions of people worldwide over many years. I mean, jst because I am not a fan of the big budget sequels in movies doesn't mean I would celebrate the death of Michael Bay, or whatever.

But that is my personal persspective, and why I said I found this thread 'weird'.

One of the fascinating things I find about western culture is displayed in this thread. Once someone dies they become a demi-god of sorts where only good memories, sympathies, platitudes and irrational perspective of the past is tolerated.

Sometimes I feel this belongs in the camp of indignation for indignations sake. Attempted social justice of sorts.

Joxer is entitled to his opinion if the corpse. That's one more level of recognition than people that have never known anything about the dead guy but automatically defend his assumed honor.

Yes, joxer entitled to write whatever he wants, no one is stopping him. Just as I am entitled to find this particular post tasteless. No problem with critizism. But joxer goes, by virtually spitting on his grave beyond that..

pibbur who firmly believes it's perfectly possible to express one's opinion clearly, without being nasty.

PS. Joxer has many interesting posts as well, I'm certainly not going to ignore him. DS

One of the fascinating things I find about western culture is displayed in this thread. Once someone dies they become a demi-god of sorts where only good memories, sympathies, platitudes and irrational perspective of the past is tolerated.

Sometimes I feel this belongs in the camp of indignation for indignations sake. Attempted social justice of sorts.

Joxer is entitled to his opinion if the corpse. That's one more level of recognition than people that have never known anything about the dead guy but automatically defend his assumed honor.

No you are wrong in that people don't become demi-gods when they die in western culture. You are allowed to criticizes them when they are dead. I have read few obituary for Margaret Thatcher when she died and many have point out her flaws (as well as he strengths) in the obituary itself. However they did that with tact and decorum which Joxer did not, which what most people find offensive in his post.

It's interesting that you choose to ignore that no one seems to have put this guy on a pedestal here.

The thing people have pointed out is that it's tasteless to "spit on his grave" at this moment of death - and people have specified that they simply don't enjoy celebrating deaths of people, no matter who or what they were.

It's anyone's guess how you take that and arrive at him being a demi-god. It's a gigantic leap based on nothing visible.

Maybe you think the moment of death is a good time to spit on his grave? Sure, that's cool with me - I just find it tasteless, nothing more and nothing less. I don't go around policing people for being tasteless - as we all are on occasion.

Not sure which part of western culture is more fascinating, though.

I have definitely seen people who went from being vilified in life to deified after death - but normally when I see that it is on a personal level - like a parent. We had two friends who did that a few years back in the same summer - the parent (one mother, one father) had been awful, mentally abusive and using affectiion as a weapon and so on ... but once the person died the 'child' (in their 40s in both cases, with kids of their own) suddenly would hear no wrong about the parent. That is also weird.

Personally I don't seek to glorify Iwata ... nor to demonize him. He was no one that I knew, and I honestly don't care enough to really dig into everything he did ... he was a person with family and friends and co-workers who was not directly responsible for crimes against humanity, so I see no need to demonize him.

I don't know who this guy is but I had lot of fun playing many Nintendo games when I was young. If he was part of any of those games, then thanks for the fun times and RIP.

I think he became president of Nintendo in 2002. So he was mainly involved in the Gamecube/Wii/WiiU/DS/3DS era of Nintendo. I'm also guessing as president he was more involved with overall company strategy as opposed to individual game direction.

I'm curious to see who Nintendo fills the vacancy with and what new direction, if any, the company takes.

Maybe you think the moment of death is a good time to spit on his grave?

To be fair its difficult to spit on their grave when they are still alive.

Is it difficult to wait until after the moment has passed?

Generally you are the specific technical one Dart. I assure you, the moment of death is long past already. The very act of spitting on a grave requires the moment passing. Seeing as one is very dependant on occurring after the first.

To be fair its difficult to spit on their grave when they are still alive.

Well ... unless they have a pre-set grave site with 'family marker' or whatever ... but I suppose even then it is a 'potential' grave site ... ;)

I learned all I needed to know about violating graves from Postal 2 - if you urinate on a grave, you might end up getting whacked on the head with a shovel and wake up dressed in gimp clothes and need to work your way out of a hostile warehouse and across town to the laundramat, being laughed at all the way.

So I figure it isn't worth risking things ...

Generally you are the specific technical one Dart. I assure you, the moment of death is long past already. The very act of spitting on a grave requires the moment passing. Seeing as one is very dependant on occurring after the first.

If being deliberately obtuse is how you want to respond to a very simple question, I guess I can't stop you.

We always have some RIP threads here.
As it goes, a person who hated PC, died in age of 55.
Thanks to him, we're not not allowed to have PC emulator of his… toys.
See, not only they didn't make one and offer people to buy it, because it'd probably mean an end to his toys garbage business, he took down fan made projects on PC.
Oh yeah, did I mention he hated apple too? I didn't? Okay, he also killed the fan made emulator on iOS last year!

So instead of RIP, I'll say this.
I spit on your grave.

Why do you say he was a person who hated PC? If I remember well his company HAL Laboratories which he founded with friends worked on computer platforms. Also emulators are not illegal, the only thing Nintendo's (lawyers) protest again if making their copyrighted games available online for free, which is within their rights. Iwata doesn't have anything to do with it.

It doesn't offend me but it feels completely out of place and unwarranted.

Satoru Iwata was a model of how a boss should behave like with his kindness and his humility, and unlike many CEOs of other gaming companies this is someone who was truly fascinated by and truly cared about the hobby. A very very good man just left us and it's very sad. A lot of people would do well to learn from his example.

Why do you say he was a person who hated PC? If I remember well his company HAL Laboratories which he founded with friends worked on computer platforms. Also emulators are not illegal, the only thing Nintendo's (lawyers) protest again if making their copyrighted games available online for free, which is within their rights. Iwata doesn't have anything to do with it.

It doesn't offend me but it feels completely out of place and unwarranted.

Satoru Iwata was a model of how a boss should behave like with his kindness and his humility, and unlike many CEOs of other gaming companies this is someone who was truly fascinated by and truly cared about the hobby. A very very good man just left us and it's very sad. A lot of people would do well to learn from his example.

You asking joxer why reality should be considered before changing it. That's like asking the sun to consider not shining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom