RPGWatch Feature - Might & Magic X Review

I think a flee mechanic that rushes you back a few squares would we a welcome addition to a game like this. I haven't actually played the game myself, but being locked into combat seems a bit strange to me, because in many, many RPGs I've played, you're always able to run away from combat if you need to...

I actually like that there is no "flee" mechanic, because this forces you to develop a "sense of danger" and to think before making a move into the wrong direction.

In fact I see most issues listed in some preceding posts as "negatives" to be "positives".

For example I made my first playthrough on standard difficulty with a mixed party (two mages and two hybrides - this is my default M&M approach) and now I started my second play through on hard with four mage types. And I love the difficulty spikes. Yes, you sometimes believe that there is no direction you can take without dying, but then you find the one fight, which you can manage, and everything flows again...

In fact nearly all the criticisms in preceding posts boil down to criticise the game for being too old school.

In fact nearly all the criticisms in preceding posts boil down to criticise the game for being too old school.

Which is a shame. I'm sure the next Might & Magic game will listen to these criticisms and we'll get a nice, modern, dumbed-down version of the game :).

Which would then be the unspeakable MM IX I guess ;)

I think some of these mechanics (like the movement) were simply necessary to put this game into a niche which at the same time gives it some spotlight.
It's still a title with low production costs compared to other titles and as such it can either pick a special audience or imitate other games and stand in their shadow.

Which is a shame. I'm sure the next Might & Magic game will listen to these criticisms and we'll get a nice, modern, dumbed-down version of the game :).

Or we might just get a game that's more on par with the best of the older titles. Also, you might want to consider actually playing the game before commenting on my criticisms.

MM X is a budget game (initial price 25$) that successfully recreates the feeling of old Wizardry (1-6) and Might & Magic (1-5) titles. Considering the small team and low budget they have done a very good job with a great passion for detail in background story and quest density.
It's a solid 8/10 from me.

Replaying M&M X. Such a fun game. I wish they would have made a follow up. Leveling up party and skills in this game is first rate. Very nice selection of items and a good variety of dungeons and outdoor areas.

Replaying M&M X. Such a fun game. I wish they would have made a follow up. Leveling up party and skills in this game is first rate. Very nice selection of items and a good variety of dungeons and outdoor areas.
Guess low sales and poor reception were the final nail in the coffin. The strategy version of the setting is on it's last legs also. Blame Ubisoft and the chosen developers.:(

MMX remains the only game in the series I've managed to play to completion. I'm not sure I could bring myself to play it again though. I enjoyed it, but it's a huge time-sink.

I would play it more often these days if Ubisoft didn't abandon it altogether and let this bug persist: "Sparkling" / flickering enemies.

You are forced into workarounds (no HDR, using pre-2016 graphics drivers); perhaps one day, GoG will get their hands on it - no Ubisoft launcher + fix would make it a yearly replay for me.

Yeah I've played MMX through twice and really enjoyed it both times. I'm also gutted part XI didn't happen, would have snatched it up.

perhaps one day, GoG will get their hands on it - no Ubisoft launcher + fix would make it a yearly replay for me.
Yearly replay? You must have a lot of free time on your hands. :)

The most I replay any game, even my favorites, is maybe once every 2-4 years.

I would play it more often these days if Ubisoft didn't abandon it altogether and let this bug persist: "Sparkling" / flickering enemies.

You are forced into workarounds (no HDR, using pre-2016 graphics drivers); perhaps one day, GoG will get their hands on it - no Ubisoft launcher + fix would make it a yearly replay for me.

Yeah I just ran into this bug with the Shadow Dragon. Not too bad it just sparkles which is strange for a Shadow Dragon ;). I am playing Ass Creed Odyssey right now, so have the launcher downloaded. One of the reasons I decided to replay M&M X.

MMX remains the only game in the series I've managed to play to completion. I'm not sure I could bring myself to play it again though. I enjoyed it, but it's a huge time-sink.

Well with no Big Ten football for another month, I have extra time :biggrin:.

There are still a couple of areas with bad frame rate drops as well I think - I remember a couple of the mountain paths were painful from that perspective. Didn't spoil my enjoyment but a shame it wasn't sorted out in patches.

Loading times aren't the best either between zones but not too bad. Like 20 or 30 seconds. Any longer would start to annoy me.

Back
Top Bottom