Sword Coast Legends - News Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Couch spotted the news update for Sword Coast Legends about the community pack 3 and the expansion Rage of Demons:

Greetings, Sword Coast community!

Since the launch of Sword Coast Legends on October 20, 2015, we’ve released two Community Update Packs on schedule. These community packs were entirely free and consisted of highly requested features, such as: playable drow elves, companion skill trees, hundreds of new placeable objects, additional monster abilities, character respecs, and much more (info here). Some elements of CP3, such as the introduction of mod support, were actually introduced earlier than expected.

When we published our State of the Game back in late October our intent was to release another free community update pack in December of 2015. December has come and gone, so where is CP3? At this point, CP3 is currently on hold while the team focuses on the Rage of Demons expansion, which now includes some bits we had originally thought to package with CP3.

We understand that people will be disappointed by this decision, but Rage of Demons is quite large and boasts a brand new adventure complete with new areas to explore, new placeable objects, a new playable race (Tieflings), new creatures, new bosses, new spells, a new playable Warlock class, WASD movement and much, much more.

Apologies for any frustration or confusion this has caused. Development is fluid! Know that the best is yet to come for SCL. We can’t wait to share what we’re working on in 2016!

More information.

SCL has improved substantially since its release, and let's not forget that Rage of Demons DLC is free.

The game can still improve in a few areas, but the way the developers are dealing with the criticism and how they never stopped improving and supporting the product based on community feedback has me quite happy with them.

good to hear its improving... initially it was very underwhelming

None of the changes fixed the singleplayer so I still don't care.

ugh oh

Yeah I hear the single player version isn't all that good, which is certainly keeping me from buying it at any price. Too bad, I love me some D&D dark elves.

I'll get it on sale at some future point. Right now, as a lover of pnp RPG's and board games, I have zero interest in lining the pockets of Hasbro, the EA of board games.

I really liked the character generation when they had that free weekend. So many options for customization...
However, the gameplay itself was sort of meh in the early stages. Just a series of boring fedex quests.
But I can definitely see a lot of potential here if they do a better job with the writing and the quest design in the future. Let's hope they will also get to work on a better single player experience somewhere down the road.

None of the changes fixed the singleplayer so I still don't care.
Just keep telling yourself that.

You're still trapped by someone elses first impressions of an early development screenshot back when it appeared the game was going to be an ARPG and not the Baldurs Gate clone it turned out to be.

Even if you did actually play it you couldn't be objective enough to allow yourself to enjoy it.

At this moment, the game plays very much like good old Neverwinter Nights. The only aspect where I can tell the game is lacking is in the spellcaster department, you don't get a wide array of spells to choose from based on your caster level, rather a pretty lineal progression of spells to pick from 3-4 different talent trees.

Other than that I can't fault the game in its single player version for anything else. Lacking WASD movement is a matter of preference, but it will too get added with the upcoming free DLC. The story… you can like it more or less, but it's there, and I don't count it as terrible (neither I do count it as awesome).

For a DnD fan, this is a must have. It's certainly better than Temple of Elemental Evil, which most DnD fans will also say it was great without hesitation (and everyone else say it was crap).

It's certainly better than Temple of Elemental Evil, which most DnD fans will also say it was great without hesitation (and everyone else say it was crap).
That's because Temple of Elemental Evil had, by far, the best and most faithful implementation of D&D combat ever seen in a major-release game. If D&D isn't your thing then of course you won't have much interest in it, since that's the point of it. Mentioning Sword Coast Legends in the same breath as ToEE is completely baffling. And going further and saying it's "certainly better" than ToEE would just make me automatically ignore the rest of your post, unfortunately you put it in the last sentence :)

I see the fanboy brigade has come to this topic lol

Trying to dress this turd in fancy clothes. Sorry guys, it still smells like a turd

Temple of Elemental Evil was a great game imo, one that I've played multiple times through. Nothing I've heard about this Sword Coast game sounds remotely like ToEE....and again, I'm only going on what I've heard.

I see fanboys on both sides here. ;)

SCL certainly isn't great, but it's also not as bad as some people try to make it sound. Considering the alternative for recent D&D crpgs is well.. nothing, it's not bad at all.

And no it isn't like ToEE, but that's mostly because it's not a turn-based dungeon crawl, and it's in a different campaign setting.

I'm not sure I'd call defending ToEE in this context to be "fanboyism". After all, it's actual fact, not opinion, that ToEE has the most complete/faithful implementation of D&D combat rules, ever. (At least in any big release.) That's a pretty big claim to fame when it comes to the "D&D gaming world" or whatever you wish to call it.

Meanwhile, Sword Coast Legends is just some shovelware aiming to appeal to the masses. You might like the game or not like it, but that's not the point, there's nothing special about it whatsoever. How could anyone possibly rank it above ToEE, when talking about D&D specifically.

The rule implementation is factual, yes. Whether that makes it a better or more fun game is completely subjective.

I agree with Emerwyn though. I think SCL is a must have for D&D fans. Especially when you consider the alternative. Unfortunately, D&D fans don't have much to choose from right now.

I'll grant that that's a great point, if you have nothing you should be grateful even for anything remotely fun. At least they did get Sword Coast done and launched, and as long as that happened anything is possible down the road, including updates and addressing what people may or may not like. I'm fairly certain that I will get this game later this year.

What I was trying to say is not "SCL is a better DnD implementation than ToEE". In fact, I never said that. I said it's a better game, because it is. ToEE was unplayable to anyone that didn't have the blind faith and full commitment of a hardcore DnD fan and thus it was either voted negatively or ignored by most PC gamers. SCL at this point lets itself play with much more ease, comparable to Neverwinter Nights (which I also mentioned in the other post).

And I'll say again, SCL isn't the perfect game, and it certainly isn't the perfect representation of a DnD game, but you can have plenty of fun playing it, especially as a DnD fan as I am. If nothing else, fighting loyally represented models of iconic DnD creatures that you've rarely (if ever) seen before in a videogame (like Hezrous or Otyughs just to mention a couple) is really nice.

It isn't true that the reception of ToEE was so negative, or at least not more negative than SCL. I recall ToEE getting much better reviews than SCL has. I see that its Metacritic score is 10 points higher. PC Gamer gave ToEE a 79 and SCL a 55, IGN gave ToEE a 75 and SCL a 55, GameSpot gave ToEE a 79 and SCL a 60. GameSpy is dead now, but it gave ToEE a 90. So even the most mainstream reviewers considered ToEE way better than SCL, despite SCL being more oriented towards the mainstream with its "streamlined" fake-D&D combat.

But what you're saying is SCL is just a more fun game overall in your opinion, so, point taken, but I don't think the number of people who'd agree with you is nearly as high as the way you're making it out.

Back
Top Bottom