Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Now on GOG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
With a 60% discount Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is now available on GOG.

Fantastic Beasts And How to Slay Them. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, the monster-hunting epic that keeps challenging you with dynamic encounters, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 60% launch discount.Tackling monsters shouldn't be just a roadblock in your epic adventure - it should be the very essence of it. In this massive open-world RPG every fight is its own reward thanks to the dynamic mechanics and deep customization. Train and upgrade your A.I. controlled pawns to fight alongside you or share them online with other adventurers and get rewarded for their exploits.The 60% discount will last until June 20, 1PM UTC.

NOTE: The game comes with full GOG Galaxy support including Cloud saves, leaderboards, and achievements. Additionally, both the Pawn system and Ur Dragon work exactly as in the Steam version. Keep in mind, however, that the GOG Galaxy servers are separate from the Steam ones, meaning that this is a fresh start.
More information.

Excellent news. A great game -- if you have not tried it, you should play this!

Have to disagree. If you haven't played this, you missed nothing.

It is decent game: big world to travel with interesting places, decent combat and movement/traversal, and has this interesting and useful pawn system. However it felt like an 'arcade' game with everything scripted/rigid, the world and characters felt as hollow as the pawns, and found myself just following the markers on the map to go and next location and kill the next trash mobs on the way!

There was nothing captivating to motivate me to get back and continue.

Played this beginning of last year, I wasn't expecting to much being a console port, but have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I did enjoy it, clocked up just over 200hrs on steam. Must say I really enjoyed the pawn system, being able to choose from a vast amount of other peoples character creations online and then hire them to join your party is genius, you can also rent out your pawn and then give and receive feedback as to how they performed.

Combat is amazing and it's a lot of fun. But it's clearly an unfinished game. Still, I played the hell out of it on Xbox 360 a few years ago. Just walking in the wilderness at night with a lantern is good enough to recommend a purchase. Actually scary.

yeah played and like it as well. My only gripe was pawns' totally dumb AI. "Fall from this height can kill you as easily…." Weeeeeeeee….

Very nice game. Good combat, interesting spells and skills, nice pawn system. Great progression and loot. Freedom to go everywhere, even jumping from roof to roof in the cities. Fighting all sorts of giant monster is a blast (try to jump on a Griffin and fly with it). Crafting is excellent. The DLC is excellent and very difficult at times. The story is so-so and some quests not well done, but overall a very interesting world and hundreds of hours of entertainment.

yeah played and like it as well. My only gripe was pawns' totally dumb AI. "Fall from this height can kill you as easily…." Weeeeeeeee….

Pawns learn from their master. Mine never did anything stupid. They were pretty uniformly brilliant, much better than the average PUG member.

Hiring pawns is hit or miss, but you can generally figure out which ones are good from the names, how they are equipped and skill choices. I've had ones that do nothing but jump around or throw explosive barrels every chance they get. Just exchange them for good ones.

Pawn learns from their master how to fell off the edge? Can't remember teaching them that particular skill. Yours must have been exceptionally clever...

I'm not a big fan of the pawn system myself. I'd rather the game had recruitable NPCs with their own backstories and personalities.

Pawns learn from their master. Mine never did anything stupid. They were pretty uniformly brilliant, much better than the average PUG member.

Hiring pawns is hit or miss, but you can generally figure out which ones are good from the names, how they are equipped and skill choices. I've had ones that do nothing but jump around or throw explosive barrels every chance they get. Just exchange them for good ones.

Ehhh, they were a hit and miss. Sometimes wrecking enemies on their own, but also having issues following the most basic orders...good luck with them helping you with man eaters.
Still...compared to most rpg's/games, their AI was much, much more variable and complex.
Definitely something other devs can take cues from.

One of the few games I quit after playing for some hours. To me it was dull and boring.

One of the few games I quit after playing for some hours. To me it was dull and boring.

My feelings exactly.

I spent a few hours trying to find a reason to make use of the fun combat and systems - but every dialogue was PAINFULLY weak and uninspired. The quests seemed ultra generic - and the open world completely lacked the kind of lure they must have in terms of bothering to go exploring.

The game clearly centered around fighting big oh-so-impressive enemies using the "pawn" system.

Neat, sure, but there needs to be a reason to do it.

Actually, it reminded me a lot of Shadow of Mordor - except that SoM had a more interesting narrative - even with how weak it was.

Pawn learns from their master how to fell off the edge? Can't remember teaching them that particular skill. Yours must have been exceptionally clever…

Dumb behavior in general is learned. I've logged thousands of hours on both PS3 and PC and don't remember a single time one of mine fell off on their own. Being knocked off by something, sure. I was far worse than they were about keeping my footing. Heard "Master, Nooooo!" a few times at least.

Ehhh, they were a hit and miss. Sometimes wrecking enemies on their own, but also having issues following the most basic orders…good luck with them helping you with man eaters.
Still…compared to most rpg's/games, their AI was much, much more variable and complex.
Definitely something other devs can take cues from.

They can be trained to handle those too. Warriors tended to be the best about it. Get their knowledge up and they'll lay out a maneater in a second flat.

They can be trained to handle those too. Warriors tended to be the best about it. Get their knowledge up and they'll lay out a maneater in a second flat.

I was talking of basic commands...a lot of times they tend to ignore them or AI going back'n'forth on it.
Though this is usually the case with AI...the more complex, the more buggier it is.

I was talking of basic commands…a lot of times they tend to ignore them or AI going back'n'forth on it.
Though this is usually the case with AI…the more complex, the more buggier it is.

It's been a while since I've looked at the list of presumed flags that could be set, but I think there was something with personalities of how responsive they are to commands. I rarely bothered to give any and more treated them like I would have other players.

Excellent news. A great game -- if you have not tried it, you should play this!

Agreed. I never finished it but I played it for dozens of hours. Good combat, the companion mechanics are cool and out of all the games that give you companions I enjoy how these behave and work and interact with your character more than most. It's more like your companions are your minions more so than a full party of equals but it works very well.

Normally I'm not a fan of anything online being tied into my single player RPG gameplay but the optional mechanic of using other people's companions or having your companion rented is pretty cool. It's nice to fire up the game and see that your companion learned about mob behavior or how to give you quest hints while in the employ of someone else.

It's a game that can be punishing if you explore the wrong areas too early and/or you can get locked out of quests by doing things in the wrong order - and I would think that appeals to some here who think RPGs have to be designed for masochists by sadists.

For a quasi open world game I thought it had some of the best mazes/maps. Compared to skyrim (which is mostly junk - but very scenic); this game makes exploring interesting.

Back
Top Bottom