Is S.T.A.L.K.E.R a RPG?

Heh. One thing that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has brought back is the year I spent in Ukraine. The scenery is scarily realistic. I'm really annoyed at myself for not taking a trip to the Zone when I had the chance. Why? Partly just "ne khochetsia," partly shortage of money, partly because my fiancée didn't like the idea of my going to irradiate my gonads there. But I wish I'd have gone anyway.

Speaking of, I like the background chatter even if my version of the game is the English-language version. It's really well done and especially the battle chatter makes perfect sense -- "Obkhodi!" "Kto-nibud! Pomog! Ya - ranen!" "Pomog ognem!" "Pokryvai menya, ya dvigu!" "Neuzheli ne ushel?" Or, of course, my favorite: "Vnimaniye - anekdot!"

I wonder how different the experience is if you don't understand any of it?

Most of them who have finished the game in a very short time have only done one of the main quests. The second (that many miss) is required to get the best ending.

I did pretty much every quest available and still finished it in less than 10 hours. I could see it being possible to finish in less than 3-4 hours if you just ran through everything, maybe less.

@bjon -- weird how different our experiences are. As stated, I've spent well over ten hours in it by now, and I've only just reached Barkeep. Then again I spend a lot of time hunting for stashes and artifacts and generally smelling the roses; for me, this pretty much makes the game.

The true ending alone requires several hours of hard fighting.
I played ca. 50 hours.

I don't even know how many hours I played, since I got bogged down doing 'fetch quests' the first time, and was more focused on experiencing everything the second time (completion). Total probably 40 - 50 hours.

There wasn't any area that was optional that I only went through once. Truly a wonderful experience.

Is this game playable on a P4 with 1G of Ram and a 7800GS ?

Is this game playable on a P4 with 1G of Ram and a 7800GS ?

Sure, I'm enjoying it on overlocked 6800GS. It's really playable even with dynamic lightning (which really adds to this games so I did not want to miss it). I was even decided to go for some cheaper 8800 card if it does not work for me. It does, so I'm not upgrading when there is no reason for it.

Thanks, Danicek. The system requirements are the highest I've seen for a game and that's what made me wonder if my PC could play it.

Note: Czech version has all dialogues in Russian language (most people here actually understand Russian) with Czech subtitles.

If it had been English subtitles, this would be a reason for me to actually buy that version.

Danicek -- ouf of curiosity, what's the copy protection on the Czech version? I hear the Russian one comes with StarForce, which is a "blocker" in my book. (The English-language one comes with SecuROM which isn't nearly as offensive.)

BTW, patch 1.0003 is available now. Check here for download links and here for the release notes. Saves from 1.0001 are compatible with 1.0003 this time around.

Yes!!! I've been dying to get back into STALKER but I was waiting for this patch.

*Edit* Bad news:( This isn't the patch I thought it was. This was originally patch 1.0002 but they simply changed the name to 1.0003. Patch 1.0003 has been changed to 1.0004 and is supposed to be released sometime soon.

Patch 1.0004 will have major changes such as dual core cpu optimization and overhauled AI.

Last edited:
*Edit* Bad news:( This isn't the patch I thought it was. This was originally patch 1.0002 but they simply changed the name to 1.0003. Patch 1.0003 has been changed to 1.0004 and is supposed to be released sometime soon.

Probably more of a localization of 1.003 ... at least it is something.

From the patch notes it says 1.003 addresses the spawn issues and reduced the amount of randomly spawned enemies. Can anyone confirm if they have been reduced to a more acceptable level?

I can confirm that. Much more acceptable now. I just trekked from Sidorov to Barman and only had three encounters on the way -- just enough to make it interesting, but not so much it was a chore.

As much as it pains me to wait, I'm gonna hold out for the next patch as it sounds very promising. From the GSC Gameword forum......

Preliminary third patch change list. Subject to change.

AI
- Added avoiding dynamic obstacles for NPCs.
- Added enemy priority function – fixes incorrect NPC reaction on player’s attack.
- Changed the second part of the enemy search algorithm – having lost the player, the NPCs will no longer be baffled.
- Added correct reaction on shots and loud sounds coming from the player (only) on close distances.

Render
- Dual core optimization.
- 10-15% FPS increase.

Gameplay
- Added new game mode – freeplay; activated after the end of the game.
- Added the possibility for any character will be able to go to any smart-terrain.
- Fixed the ultra-intense vibration of the grass.
- All monsters drag now the corpses correctly.

Physics
- Fixed the situations when the physics get stuck in the floor or in the thin walls.
- Fixed the situations when the dead bodies disappear.

Network
- Reduced the traffic and lags.

General
- Fixed problems with OS Vista 64.
- Added saved games converter.
- Added MOD Tools support.

Back
Top Bottom