Kingmaker - Season Pass & Post-Release Content

Do I believe there is no cut content in season passes? No. Sorry, but no.
I do believe this.
However most likely some guys are already working on DLC before base game release. You need to consider the development pipeline. The base game is nearly finished, so you have some guys that have worked in earlier development stages that don't have tasks right now. If you want to keep and pay them you need to give them tasks. That's why DLC makes sense not only for additional revenue but to keep a steady workload until the next game.

Yes, because there are apparently enough people who are willing to buy DLC piece by piece, and that's far more lucrative than releasing a large expansion. Personally I'm not one of those people, and therefore I usually wait for the "complete", "definitive", "GOTY", "gold", or whatever they might call their edition.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't want to criticize someone who buys a title at release to support the developer (the last time I did that was with The Witcher 2). If someone wants to do that, more power to them. I am however one of the people who do not want to support the current DLC business model with their money and I also don't buy into the whole "if you want more games like that, buy it at release!" argument.
Hah that reminded me how I also bought TW2 at release because I loved TW1 and wanted to support the developer. Little did I know TW2 would be crap :(

Yep, totally agree with you @abharsair; . I'm usually in the same boat - With Kingmaker, I've made an exception not because I wanted to support DLC sales but I just wanted to play a game like this to satisfy my itchy :p (because, I was very skeptical about PoE2, this was the only suitable alternative) :lol: Kingmaker turned out to be much better than I anticipated so I'm very happy, even after paying rather hefty price (for beta access).

@Archangel; thanks for the background material.

I think Larian and cdprojek does it right. witcher 3 had true expansions and Larian doesn't do dlc (so far). I think there is an issue here because @Silver; recommends we support the game if we want more games like this and @joxer; recommend that we not support the game if we don't want to support dlc model. I personally hate the dlc model and think it needs to die. Expansions are fine and it is fine to call an expansion a dlc. DLC range from cosmetic (common to jrpg - which i ignore) to major story plot (EA) to significant game play (paradox). Anyway I'll make my decision after they describe the planned dlc but generally it create negative vibes to myself and I think that needs to be made clear. I think i've said everything I have to say so i promise no more follow up on dlcs in this thread :)

Deep Silver is listed as the publisher on the store page.
So is Paradox for Pillars of Eternity 1 but Paradox was not their publisher. It did for PoE what Deep Silver is doing for Kingmaker, it provided marketing and distribution.
Publishers usually finance your product and own it.

Deep Silver is helping with specific regions; This is identical to deals Larian, Obsidian and several other gaming companies have made. They are not the publisher in the sense that they provided major funding for the game and had a say in the design. @Archangel; has done a very nice job of providing links and you should read those links before repeating this claim. You might want to argue (or in your view) save face by repeating that they are the publisher because steam list them as such and in a 1/2 hearted sense I suppose the statement has some validity but most of us refer to publisher as the major funding source that controls the direction of the game which is not the case for the relationship between deep silver and owlcat. There are plenty of games that Deep Silver have funded go find forums on those games and then you can repeat the story for those games with validity to your heart content.

Deep Silver is listed as the publisher on the store page.

Last edited:
So is Paradox for Pillars of Eternity 1 but Paradox was not their publisher.

Except they were.....

Publishers usually finance your product and own it.

Usually, but not always. In Obsidian's case, POE was entirely crowdfunded and Paradox only received a percentage of sales for marketing and distribution.

They are not the publisher in the sense that they provided major funding for the game and had a say in the design

I understand that, but Deep Silver is still technically the publisher. A publisher distributes a product to market. They don't need to fund the game itself in order to publish it. .

The whole "season pass" philosophy just leaves an awful taste in my mouth every time that I see it. It might as well read, "wait until the entire bloody thing is out and pick it up for a song" instead.

I understand that, but Deep Silver is still technically the publisher. A publisher distributes a product to market. They don't need to fund the game itself in order to publish it. .
Dear God man, you are worse than Dart...

I'm sorry, but how am I the unreasonable one here?

Deep Silver is distributing the game. They are listed as the publisher on steam. Owlcats lead developer called them the publisher. They are by every definition the publisher.

It's not even a semantical argument. Just straight up ignorance on your guys behalf.

I think it's best to release a game before announcing DLC/season pass. Otherwise, we all assume the content was cut to milk us out of more money… and I for one don't like being milked… unless she's pretty. ;)

I'm sorry, but how am I the unreasonable one here?

Deep Silver is distributing the game. They are listed as the publisher on steam. Owlcats lead developer called them the publisher. They are by every definition the publisher.

It's not even a semantical argument. Just straight up ignorance on your guys behalf.
People are using their own custom definition of publisher, which is "publisher who also finances the game" (aka typical AAA arrangement). I guess you're expected to know this. I ran into the same issue, years ago, in some other thread here. In any case, obviously publishers don't always finance development in reality.

The poster who kicked this dispute off referred to My.com, implicitly, as the "publisher" when in fact they aren't the publisher of this game at all, but just the owner of Owlcat and part-financer of the game. Plenty of blame to go around in terms of careless use of words. Pretty pointless debate though, he could've just said he actually meant My.com when talking about the DLC stuff, discussion over.

Back
Top Bottom