Fallout 2 - 20th Anniversary

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TechRaptor looks back at Fallout 2 on its 20th anniversary.

Chris Avellone says he could “write a treatise” on why he thinks making Deathclaws peaceful and friendly was a fundamentally bad idea. “IMO, if you want to build a strong franchise, you focus on the elements that make it work, and regulate all the “wouldn’t it be interesting if…” ideas that don’t fit to Special Encounters. I’ve always hated aliens in Fallout, for example, and as I’ve often told Tim Cain, I was pretty fucking pissed off he thought including ghosts in Fallout was a good idea. It’s like you’re opening the goddamn door to the spirit world in a post-apoc game, and that’s a whole separate aesthetic detour in a franchise that’s already been placed in danger of losing its direction by being given to a bunch of newbs.”

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

20 years and no remaster/hd/whatever rerelease :(, its sad especially when you see remasters everywhere nowadays. Tried a couple of times this and the first but the overall hud and things related to it were just too clunky and left them. I bet many would buy somekind of rerelease.

I know many people disliked Fallout 2's humour and writing, compared to the first, but I really loved it; it's one of the few games I've played that genuinely made me laugh. I'd play it again if I hadn't already played it loads. However, I might be tempted by a remaster.

20 years and no remaster/hd/whatever rerelease :(, its sad especially when you see remasters everywhere nowadays. Tried a couple of times this and the first but the overall hud and things related to it were just too clunky and left them. I bet many would buy somekind of rerelease.

Plenty of mods for this. The last one i used many years ago now both increased the resolution tremendously and made me able to zoom in and out with the mouse wheel (like in any modern RPG). Looked and and played excellent, no complaints. Haven't looked into mods for it in many years now, bet they're even better now.

I would buy a HD remaster though.. don't think we will see one because of the amount of work that needs to be put into e.g all the animations and all art has to be recreated, it would be like doing a new game. It's not like redoing a 3D game.

A saw an early video of TWoC last month; a 3D remake that looks fairly ambitious.

A saw an early video of TWoC last month; a 3D remake that looks fairly ambitious.

..and like all other mods who tries to do this there's a 0.1% chance it will every be finished.. sorry to say. it's more work than what people think and especially so for a small mod group who does work on their spare time and where people come and go over the years.

I would buy a HD remaster though.. don't think we will see one because of the amount of work that needs to be put into e.g all the animations and all art has to be recreated, it would be like doing a new game. It's not like redoing a 3D game.
Yep and despite the flack Beamdog gets for their various remaster's of the infinity engine games they did share the details of how much work it requires to modernize them.

Take for example Icewind Dale 2 the source code is gone. Trent went on to explain how much work it would take to extract the files for the game to convert them.

Basically it can be done but it's to much of a hassle. Easier to work on another game.

So much expertise went into Fallout 1-2 than no one ever will be able to remaster it in this "Investors Ruled Gaming World".

yeah, a remaster with graphics divinity style would be majestic

Im not really interested in the graphics, but in the interface and interactions and stuff. I would b very glad for something like the EE of BG or ID.

One of the games that I replay frequently, and just went through this one again a few months ago. It stands the test of time, the world is fun to explore and challenge lurks around every corner.

This game was awesome. Simply too damn fun. Sure, it was worse than the first one and some elements were not as good, but it is still damn incredible and I think it is only rivaled by New Vegas.

One of the greatest games ever made. I actually think I enjoyed it even more than the first one. Sure, it was downright silly at times, but to me that's never a problem as long as it's fun silly. And to me FO2 hits the right spot.

I played this before I played 1 and found it a lot more fun than when I played the first (although I admit the first one was tighter, more consistent, and made more sense/was less random).

This missing pocket watch is one of my favourite quests of all time with all the different crazy options you can trigger
I told the owner his buddy took it - which I knew he didn't - then sat back and watched the fireworks happen. And boy, did they ever.

It was one of the reasons I had no interest in FO3 - the Bethesda people couldn't stand the humour - which to me, took away the silly, pulpy, comic book feel of a Fallout game, more than the 3D FPS aspect did.

So I'm guessing there's no good FO1 or FO2 remakes with the FO3 tools? Too big and complicated? IWD 1.5 was done with NWN and, of course, Baldur's Gate 1 was done with NWN2.

I'll play contrarian here and say I was pretty disappointed with both, played them not long ago.
They both have perhaps the weakest main stories in any rpgs: pretty much text book example of poor storytelling. Go save your vault/village by finding water chip/Geck...oops, we forgot to actually slowly introduce player to npcs/setting ( so you don't really give damn about any of it).
And gameplay is probably the worst TB I've played to date: it has neither complexity or any real tactics to it, simply drags itself to no end. I literally fell asleep during fight at Necropolis.
Also char progression is pretty simple and uninteresting: you only need 3 or 4 skills, and high Intelligence/gifted can fulfill every role. Same is with binary morality system, rigid skill checks design, clumsy UI/controls/movement, etc.
Best aspect of the game is quest design, which usually has at least 3 or 4 options.
Closest to it of modern games, are last two Shadowruns which imo, surpass it in nearly every aspect ( except perhaps when it comes to lore/setting).

Nostalgia always makes older games better.

Liked the games but I don't put them on pedestals just because.

They were fun for their time like other games I played in the past.

But I have never been keen on living in the past too much.

..and like all other mods who tries to do this there's a 0.1% chance it will every be finished.. sorry to say. it's more work than what people think and especially so for a small mod group who does work on their spare time and where people come and go over the years.

I really wish you'd wipe those estimates off after pulling them out of your arse. :p

Back
Top Bottom