Anime Discussion Thread

King's Avatar is an anime about pro PvP players in a MMO who do crazy "k&m moves".

Basically, this happens…except it's an MMO in first person and not a RTS.

That video! That speed! Ahaha!
Yes that is what happens.
Joxer said it is a K+M masterpiece,and I just approved. :D

Visually pleasing anime. Story is nothing special. But there are fun characters in the series. It is about competitive gaming and rising to the top.
Give it a try if it interests you.

AH understood now. Thanks both! King's Avatar is on my watch list but lot of other stuff getting in the way lol

AH understood now. Thanks both! King's Avatar is on my watch list but lot of other stuff getting in the way lol

Yea, you're tripping over too many mushrooms. :p
Which reminds me, I need to cut those few K+M scenes from youtube and turn 'em into gifs useful for trolling Nintendo exclusive news on PC Gamer and etc. :evilgrin:

The jewel of this quarter is IMO Juuni Taisen.
It's yet another battle royale story with enormous amount of violence. No love or romance and no friendship here, if you're after that, stay away from this one. If not, you'll most definetly adore characters' developments and combat scenes.

Would you bet with me on who'll win before the series end? I vote rabbit.

It's not the only currently airing anime worth watching, but I'll save a few more for another time.

Last edited:
LOL, well okay then.

A few more that I didn't drop.

Dies Irae - https://myanimelist.net/anime/32271/Dies_Irae
You'll get "seen that 100 times already" vibe from this one and there is nothing much to tell - the main protagonish has some hidden powers and needs to awaken them to save the world. Such a cliche I'd probably kick instantly if there weren't for friends and villains who are not necessarily good/evil.

So far the whole thing feels mediocre, but perhaps the ending saves it. Or ruins it. I hate harems and there is a strong possibility main protagonist becomes the center of one.
In case of this one, I suggest staying away before it ends when you'll learn if it's worth "wasting time" on. ;)

Mahoutsukai no Yome
- https://myanimelist.net/anime/35062/Mahoutsukai_no_Yome
We've already mentioned this one while only couple of episodes were up as preairing. It's goddamned beautiful, so beautiful it's yucky. But something is amiss. Constantly I have a feeling authors didn't explore material thoroughly, well, not as in detail I'd want at least.

Too early to say if I'll feel thirsty for details when it ends, maybe they return to things I find more interesting than authors did.
Unlike the series above, this one you should start watching before it ends. It's crazy uniqueness makes it really good.

Black Clover - https://myanimelist.net/anime/34572/Black_Clover_TV
This anime is so bad it's beyond words. I'm not kidding. Who on earth blessed this script I just cannot believe it. Anyway, in the world where magic is everything and everyone can use it, a child is born who is complete antitalent and can't cast a single spell. So instead of boosting his INT/WIS, he decides to boost STR/DEX. No, not CON, sadly, he didn't go bodybuilder route. Whatever.

The main protagonist's voiceover is brilliant. Dunno who the actor is, but so many yelling and screaming I haven't heard elsewhere and while it was irritating in the first episode, I grew to love it so much I'm enjoying this garbage of anime only because of those screams! :D
I say give it a shot. Maybe you'll also find it guilty pleasure just like I did.

Holly smokes that video is cringe as fuck. :D

And…the real culprit looks like one guy I worked for a few weeks ago. LOL!

Thanks Joxer,had a few chuckles from this one.
And,yes. Subs over dubs. :)

I love anime, last time I watched Inuyashiki, as for me it's the best anime for fall season

Exciting news.

Winter season brings an anime series called Junji Ito "Collection".
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36124/Ito_Junji__Collection

Junji Ito is the author of one of the most disturbing comic ever made: Uzumaki.
Worldwide and among different syles, not just manga. I know I've mentioned it before on this forum. This thing, if you even dare to read it, will mash up your brain like some heavy drugs, surreal level in it was unbeatable for ages (Vehlmann managed it much later).
Geez I really have to open a thread about nonsuperhero comics... If only I had enough time.

While I don't expect Uzumaki being a part of this anime series nor I expect it'll make my brain rolling 100% like Uzumaki did, I'm already drooling!

Last edited:
I subscribed to Crunchyroll here yesterday (actually I subscribed to the two-weeks premium test :p)

I started watching Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) Season 2. Yeah, I know I'm late :)

How about some good anime suggestions (preferentially, the ones available on Crunchyroll :) )

Thanks!

You're not late, the third AoT season will air in this year.

There are so many titles, it's nearly impossible to number them all and most are available on crunchyroll. Browse through this thread for suggestions, there are short hits what each one is about so pick your fix depending on your taste. I mean… For example if you're after harem, I'm not the one who should suggest anything as I hate that "genre". ;)

However, just from the first page with anime icons I see on Crunchyroll (I refuse to click "load more anime" becase there are thousands) some I've already suggested through the thread:

- Black Clover
Most irritating protagonist ever turns this trash into guilty pleasure

- The ancient magus bride
Mystery and animation never loved each other like in this one

- Re:Zero
A stupid protagonist you'll want to kick helped by the best kickarse girl in anime, dartagnan would hate this as here it's the dick who needs to be saved

- Parasyte the maxim
Blood, gore and humor, feels like the best Sam Raimi's product he didn't direct

- Berserk
Panned by critics and purists because of no nipples CGI, yet absolutly beautiful RPGlike story with a party of different "classes" against bosses and minibosses

- Juni Taisen
Exciting Battle Royale where you won't know who'll win and the victor will surprise you also with reward chosen

- Yuri on ice
Superb iceskating animation with an unexpected twist - it's not yuri, it's (is it?) yaoi

Last edited:
@henriquejr;

Like joxer said, it would be helpful to know what you like to watch (action, thriller, love stories, historical, big robots, etc).

Saying that Crunchyroll has Psycho-Pass (awesome cyberpunk anime), ERASED (murder investigation thriller), Joker Game (spying stories) and Rage of Bahamut: Genesis (awesome adventure anime) that are recent much watch.

- Yuri on ice
Superb iceskating animation with an unexpected twist - it's not yuri, it's (is it?) yaoi

It is yaoi.

I started watching Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) Season 2. Yeah, I know I'm late :)

Is season 2 any good? I quite enjoyed the first one, and anime is not usually my thing.

Is season 2 any good? I quite enjoyed the first one, and anime is not usually my thing.

Well, I only watched S02E01 :)

It's a direct continuation of S1 and it is written as if you remembered it.

@henriquejr;

Like joxer said, it would be helpful to know what you like to watch (action, thriller, love stories, historical, big robots, etc).

Saying that Crunchyroll has Psycho-Pass (awesome cyberpunk anime), ERASED (murder investigation thriller), Joker Game (spying stories) and Rage of Bahamut: Genesis (awesome adventure anime) that are recent much watch.(…)

Isn't Rage of Bahamut the one with D&D-like theme ? I think I did read this brief description here on 'Watch, I just can't remember what thread it was..

1) I made myself a list of 'Animes to be watched', based on friends' hints as well as hints I did read on Brazilian forums (and now I'll also add the hints you're all giving me here). Sadly many of them aren't available neither on Netflix nor on Crunchyroll (the two streamings services I'm currently subscribed to).

They are, in alphabetical order:

07 Ghost
Berserk (1997)
Blade of the Immortal
Chrno Crusade
Claymore
Code Geass (2007)
Darker Than Black
Elfen Lied (2004)
Fate Stay Night
Gosick
Gungrave
High School of the Dead
Koukaku no Regios (ou Chrome Shelled Regios)
Last Exile
Now and Then, Here and There
Ookami Kakushi
Robotech
Serial Experiments Lain (1998)
Steins;Gate
Sword Art Online (2012)
Tales of Symphonia
Tokyo Ghoul
The Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk (Druaga Nou Tou)
The Tower of Druaga: The Sword of Uruk
Wangan Midnight

2) The list above isn't definitive, of course. It can grow or shrink, based on hints you'll give me here.

3) @joxer;, as for Anime's subtypes, I don't know some terms. E.g. I don't know what kind of Anime the 'Harem' is. And yes, I know what a Hentai is :p

4) For years, I didn't watch Animes of any kind. The 'Anime' genre simlpy wasn't my favored type of animation. That's why I didn't watch some animes everyone here did: One Piece, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Sakura Card Captor, Mobile Armor Gundam, Full Metal Alchemist, Macross, etc. Yes, I know their names, mainly from friends talking about them. But for some time in my life, maybe for an interval of 20+ years, I just didn't feel like watching Animes…
Of course, I watched some of them 'classics' with a large fanbase here in Brazil, mainly DBZ (up until Majin Boo) and Saint Seyia (specially the 12 Houses of Zodiac - whatever it is called).

But I did watch some really old Animes, in a time where the word 'Anime' wasn't even used here. Most of them are from the 1970s and early 1980s, when I was a kid. For most of them, I can fully recall the intro music :)

-Star Blazers (Uchuu Senkan Yamato), the classic version, not the 2199: it was aired on TV here, and IMHO it's the best Anime I watched. If there's some thread here with the 'Top 10 Animes you watched', much like there's a thread for top 10 RPGs, I'd surely place it on 1st place;
-Groizer X (does anyone here know it? :));
-Entaku no Kishi Monogatari Moero Arthur, here called simply Rei Arthur (King Arthur);
-Haha o Tazunete Sanzenri, here called Marco. I was a kid when this anime aired here, I can't recall it fully. But I have fond memories of it;
-I recall having watched an Anime called Heidi (Arupusu no Shōjo Haiji), I have even less memories of Heidi than Marco above;
-Don Dorakyura, here called Don Dracula;
-Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds. I really loved it;
-The classic Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go), of course;
-Tenkū Senki Shurato, from 1980s.

Anyway, I eagerly await for your Anime's indications!

Thank you for attention paid!

Last edited:
Isn't Rage of Bahamut the one with D&D-like theme ? I think I did read this brief description here on 'Watch, I just can't remember what thread it was..

It was probably this thread and it does feel D&D without it being actually based on D&D. It is actually based on a mobile card game if we want to be accurate (it doesn't show though).

07 Ghost
Berserk (1997)
Blade of the Immortal
Chrno Crusade
Claymore - pretty awesome and violent, last episode is rushed though
Code Geass (2007) - season 1 is better than season 2, one of the best 2000s anime
Darker Than Black
Elfen Lied (2004) - very violent
Fate/Stay Night - has a prequel Fate/Zero and a remake that isn't exactly a remake (follow a different route from the game), adaptions of a visual novel game series
Gosick
Gungrave
High School of the Dead
Koukaku no Regios (ou Chrome Shelled Regios) not bad
Last Exile - very good steampunk/diesel punk anime, has a sequel subtitled Fam, the Silver Wing
Now and Then, Here and There
Ookami Kakushi
Robotech - check for Macross maybe, Robotech is the US name
Serial Experiments Lain (1998)
Steins;Gate
Sword Art Online (2012)
Tales of Symphonia
Tokyo Ghoul
The Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk (Druaga Nou Tou) based on the game Tower of Druaga from the 80s, lol
The Tower of Druaga: The Sword of Uruk
Wangan Midnight

It was probably this thread and it does feel D&D without it being actually based on D&D. It is actually based on a mobile card game if we want to be accurate (it doesn't show though).

I'll add it anyway since I like D&D (I played 2nd Ed and 3rd/3.5, currently playing 5th Edition).

Back
Top Bottom