Cyberpunk 2077 - Everything Wrong With the Demo

I didn't have the stamina to finish the article. It reeked of having a clear agenda and was clearly reaching.

While there are definitely things in the demo that I'm concerned about, this SJW fantasy is not among them.

As much as I think CDPR have gone mainstream and wide audience-happy - I don't take them as SJW frontliners at this point in time.

- City with even greater scale and dynamic of GTA but also vertical

1) How do you know it's larger than GTA V and more vertical? GTA V is one of the largest, most detailed, and vertical open worlds ever created.

2) As for being more dynamic than GTA V, I saw the opposite in the preview. GTA V has hundreds of different pedestrian scripts and dozens of random events. In the Cyberpunk 2077 preview, NPCs followed very basic scripts, and I've heard nothing about there being random events in the game.

I agree though that if any of the comparisons you made are true, Cyberpunk 2077 looks most like GTA V. At the same time, GTA V came out in 2013, and this probably wont come out until at least 2021.

- But also with complex rpg mechanics ( stats, perks, lifepaths, skills, streetcred, cyberware, etc) of crpg like FalloutÂ…

Just because there are many different forms of progression, doesn't mean they are complex or that it's an RPG. Shadow of War has about 12 different layers of progression, but I would hardly call it a complex RPG.

What makes Fallout: New Vegas a good CRPG, and what I didn't see any of in the preview, is that it has a lot of roleplaying value. A protagonist with no forced personality, a diverse range of dialog options, meaningful choices from both a narrative and gameplay perspective, an open world with a lot of skill based interaction, and a complex faction system.

Dissecting Cyberpunk 2077

Protagonist: Predetermined name, predetermined voiceactor, and a forced personality

Dialog: Streamlined dialog wheel and voiced responses that don't represent what you think they would say (at least for me)

Skill based interaction: You say CP2077 has skills, but the actual gameplay displayed very little of them in an interactive non-combat or questing sense. CRPGs like Fallout, VTmB, Arcanum, and PoE2 are practically skill check simulators.

Faction system: What makes CRPGs like Fallout great is that you can join all these different factions with their own ideologies, conflicts, ranks, and perks. CP2077 doesn't offer anything like that, even though it would of been a perfect fit.

Deus Ex has great level/mission design and world interaction

Yet the first 6 minutes of the preview are a linear shoot-em-up with scripted cinematics like Call of Duty.

CDPR: Ok, here is the demo. Keep in mind, this is still work Work in Progress and..

Gamers: Why does the AI not look so good! Why do some of the textures look fugly? Why the car not control so good? Why?!?

The game is still in development, but they thought it was good enough to show. Developers shouldn't do that and expect not to be judged.

Last edited:
I agree with Bobo that its greatest strength is that it's a mash up of different games, however I expect it to be a jack of all trades, master of nothing type situation.

My hope is that at least european developers don't care for political agendas and just follow their artistic vision.

My hope is that at least european developers don't care for political agendas and just follow their artistic vision.

Well, as long as a publisher is involved - self-funded or not - the artistic vision can only be a reality insofar as it correlates with the promise of significant profit.

Europeans aren't exempt from having to earn a living or the ideal of a thriving business, unfortunately.

1) How do you know it's larger than GTA V and more vertical? GTA V is one of the largest, most detailed, and vertical open worlds ever created.

Because I've played it and just from looking from the demo, ( when she steps out of the megabuilding) it shows different layers of levels throughout. GTA had nothing like this.

2) As for being more dynamic than GTA V, I saw the opposite in the preview. GTA V has hundreds of different pedestrian scripts and dozens of random events. In the Cyberpunk 2077 preview, NPCs followed very basic scripts, and I've heard nothing about there being random events in the game.

I agree though that if any of the comparisons you made are true, Cyberpunk 2077 looks most like GTA V. At the same time, GTA V came out in 2013, and this probably wont come out until at least 2021.

Not even close. GTA is barely populated in comparison. And you could see a whole variety of npcs doing different things through a brief slice of the game. And from what they talked about in the interviews, the world will be much more diverse and complex throughout all districts.

Just because there are many different forms of progression, doesn't mean they are complex or that it's an RPG. Shadow of War has about 12 different layers of progression, but I would hardly call it a complex RPG.

No, that's actually a vital component of it. Stats define your basic attributes here. They are also connected to skills, which depend on them. There are also perks and cyberware that affects them and opens up different gameplay possibilities. And world exploration/quests add street cred which also opens more perks. This interconnection and different ways to grow your character in how you play the game, gives depth to character progression.

What makes Fallout: New Vegas a good CRPG, and what I didn't see any of in the preview, is that it has a lot of roleplaying value. A protagonist with no forced personality, a diverse range of dialog options, meaningful choices from both a narrative and gameplay perspective, an open world with a lot of skill based interaction, and a complex faction system.

I agree that the player personality is much more set, but negative offset in NV that protagonist had almost no personality. It's a trade off between how much you want investment into the plot and customization. Plus with 9 options in lifepaths. And npcs ( from what I heard from other version of the demo) respond differently to your sex( especially dialogue with Victor): in Fallout, it was more a cosmetic change.
And we've seen in a mission already skilled based interaction: like hacking doors or panels with tech skills. From what I've seen , 2077 will have more gameplay driven skill checks, while NV had more dialogue checks.

Faction system: What makes CRPGs like Fallout great is that you can join all these different factions with their own ideologies, conflicts, ranks, and perks. CP2077 doesn't offer anything like that, even though it would of been a perfect fit.

They actually confirmed there will be factions, but they will be more narrative than gameplay driven, than other way around. By what they said they're going for, I don't expect player to take part in waging war against one another, but more narrative/world consequences like in Witcher games.

And you keep on insisting on your ignorance: they confirmed they are still implementing skills/perks/etc…that's why they showed more shooting aspect of the game. ( You can see at the end of the demo: Street Cred increased/New Perks are available)

Well let's see on the main mission from the demo and from what people who saw different versions of it reported. ( because it only actually had one: everything else was brief showcasing to highlight the world).
You can decide to meet or not Militech, which can affect your future interaction with them.
Or you can skip it entirely and use your own money.
You can choose to go stealth, gun route or walk in peacefully. And you can see in level design there are different doorways/pathways to a goal ( Royce).
Militech can implant the cred chip with virus, forcing hostile outcome.
Or you can warn them about it, and avoid it.
Or you can even after that betray/attack them ( in that case Royce escapes)
Or you can even later after that triple cross Meredith after meeting her ( you can actually have a talk with a guy who's her boss, through comm link in the van).
And there are possibly others we haven't seen.

This is more complex branching/interplay than even most quests in NV, with more traditional design with rigid skill checks.

Personally I like it more, it has a more natural, "intuitive" flow, make decision in the moment and live with it, feel to it.

So unless there is some kind of ( Alex Jones ) conspiracy theory between CDPR and journos, going on here ( Myrthos and also other people included :p), we can see there are a lot of options here, by taking into account all of the demo reports.

Now, if the game was about three months from release, there would be valid reason for concern. But, I'll repeat, they are still implementing a lot of features, and they said shooting is one that's currently most "fleshed out"..and to wider audience, probably the most appealing aspect of gameplay, so they focused on it in recent demo.

Now if you want to hyperventilate they're lying and somehow understand more about their own game based on your own "inside knowledge", then certainly go ahead.

Last edited:
Bias-battle! ;)

Nothing quite like two overly biased positions clashing like this.

It's almost as if you've convinced yourself that this is about the demo - and not about predisposed like and dislike - with an amazing about of wishful thinking for or against this game.

Why not just wait a year or two - and you might actually have something to back up your "neutral" opinions ;)

This struggle of yours is utterly unproductive in terms of reaching some kind of understanding.

We are all biased/respond emotionally at times, dear Darth, and if you need to tell others you are not, quite often and in so many words..chances are, that goes even more for you than others. It's called "Stable genius" paradox". ;)

HeGkHvr.gif

I agree though that we should wait for it more. From what I've seen they have a very cohesive/well thought system in place, but a lot depends on how they'll execute it, across the full length of the game.
Still, even if it does not live up to massive expectations, it seems a pretty good direction for AAA rpg titles.

I've never claimed I'm not biased :)

I'm just a little better than most of you guys when it comes to keeping it under control. That doesn't mean I don't have a lot of other character flaws, though - because I certainly do.

But there is such a thing as being different from one another as human beings. It's not a big deal - and I understand there's a competitive aspect to being younger or more subject to the normal "male culture", in that it's clearly unacceptable that I'm better at anything than you are, even if you're probably superior in many other ways.

Anyway, yeah - I think it's too early to tell much about too many specifics regarding CP2077.

The video looks amazing in several ways, though I'm still - personally - saddened by the console compromises so prevalent in the industry, but that's not on CDPR.

It just comes to the surface a little more with a game like that, because they're clearly being very ambitious - and I can't help but dwell a little on what it COULD have been, rather than what it actually seems to be.

While the press seems to think the visuals are utterly amazing and above-and-beyond, I mostly notice all the compromises made when it comes to pop-ups and the density and fidelity of assets. Then again, I'm a PC gamer at heart - and I don't give two shits about how much it pushes the laughably inferior console hardware.

But it's also a PR video - and those are usually 100% dedicated to making the best impression possible, so we're not likely to get a good look at any of the more significant flaws that might be there behind the gloss.

Holy cow! I think we can safely crown BoboTheMighty as the number 1 fan and defender of this game.
:biggrin:
Haven't seen that big of a wall of text in a while… :lol:

I'm pretty sure JDR is just as big a fan, but his ego won't allow this kind of public display of affection ;) Certainly not in the form of more than a few sentences, looking as cool as he can manage doing it.

Nothing wrong with being hyped up - if you can actually handle the inevitable reality of games never being everything you want them to be.

I peaked with Daggerfall, personally - and that was devastating to me. Then again, I can be sensitive about such things.

The writer is clearly a loon, but the parts when he wasn't ranting about SJWs I found well constructed and reasonable. I don't advise posting his content in the future however.
Sure, but 90% of the article (and really, the entire point of it) is lunatic ranting. How many effing times did he use the word degenerate? Honestly, if we could harvest the energy people like this spend building up their fantasy worlds... it would be a lot of energy.

Since I thought Witcher 3 was average at best outside of some great quest writing, I'm waiting for the release to decide.

I hope instead of analyzing demos, alphas, betas, trailers, etc in the future, we'll see "everything wrong with the game" articles in the future.
Sure, listing all Skyrim bugs would be an exhausting job, but then, are they pros or just charlatans?

I was definitely disappointed to see how much autodialogue there was and how limited player control of V ‘s personality seems to be, but I was hoping that was just for a streamlined demonstration and not indicative of the game on release.

But it's also a PR video - and those are usually 100% dedicated to making the best impression possible, so we're not likely to get a good look at any of the more significant flaws that might be there behind the gloss.

Bingo!

This is absolutely true and why nobody should put too much into what is shown in a demo like this.

Unless the release is close at hand (which it definitely is NOT in the case of Cyberpunk 2077) it is very likely that many many aspects of the gameplay are still being worked on so a demo such as this has without a doubt been "prepared" by the guy on the controls to guide the flow through the highest (visual) quality and away from the areas that are not quite ready yet.

Wait until the game is finished before making any decisions on what you can or can't do in the game.

I am glad that they didn't post a demo including storyline choices which make a difference, such as choosing to fight with one faction and then later in the game having to defend against a rival faction. That would be too spoiler-ific for me.

They did show choice regarding how to complete a mission, such as whether or not to tell them about what you are delivering which would lead to an apparently different approach.

I very much enjoyed the demo and I have 99.2% confidence that I will at least enjoy the game once it is released. 99.2 is very high for me, but not unheard of.

It certainly has all the chances in the world of being a very good game, indeed.

For my part, though, CDPR have always struggled with the finer points of gameplay. This includes combat, loot, progression, exploration, balance and so forth.

This video is showing a game that could be brilliant in all those ways, but only if they do it correctly.

All the visual flair and high amount of NPCs on screen won't make the slightest difference for me, if they haven't upped their game very significantly when it comes to actually playing the thing.

I honestly can't tell from the demo whether or not they've learned anything at all, from the past - because what matters to me depends on content and things you can only tell from playing the game for several hours.

I wish I could just assume they're doing all the right things with this great technology - but I can't.

So, apart from the technical side - and what's certain to be an enthralling tale with interesting characters - I have no reason to be particularly impressed at this point.

Had this been a new company, I would likely have been MORE impressed - because I would tend to assume that developers with skills like this would naturally be able to come up with some measure of satisfying gameplay to back it all up.

The thing is, though, that as impressive as Witcher 3 was in terms of visuals, story and presentation - it was laughably inept when it comes to the things I just mentioned. Almost unbelievably poor in those ways - considering the low-hanging fruit, given they had access to everything and no technical obstacle was in the way. It was simply terrible game design.

From MY point of view, that is. I know the vast majority loved W3 in what seems like most ways, and I have to accept that people were serious when they rated it 10/10 in so many places.

With that said, I'm very ready to be extremely impressed if it turns out they HAVE learned from their past mistakes, and then all these (for me) superficial qualities will enhance the experience greatly. The story, which is always a secondary thing in games like this - for me - will also enhance everything if the rest is in place.

So, I remain very hopeful - but far, far from convinced.

Back
Top Bottom