Sword Coast Legends

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor
So this is a much better game than I had heard it was. The voice acting is top notch, it has a lot of depth in the skill checks area (not only in conversations but also in finding hidden objects and little "scenarios" you can use your attributes on), and it's got an interesting story, music and setting so far. I'm enjoying it more than I thought, hearing it was super-casualized, but it's not really. It's not as deep as Baldur's Gate but also has improvements over BG (skill checks being a big one.) Just thought I'd let anyone know who may have purchased it previously but hasn't played it yet. It's worth a peek for sure.

I'll likely return to NWN mods at some point, too. Just wish I could find some decent Planescape ones. I did find one in NWN2 that looked promising. German voice acting but English text and it seemed weird and strange and Planescape-y. Might give that a go next time I'm in the mood for NWN modules.

SCL is not disappointing me, though. It's not NWN or Baldur's Gate but it's decent enough. Just entered Luskan and the story is somewhat interesting so far.

One of the worst crpg ive played in the last years; so simplistic and derpish (no tactics, no autoattack, no info on mobs, missing a ton of mechanics you would expect from a rpg), terrible loadings and 35 clicks to start the game.

For me, this game started off ok and then just tanked. There was no challenge whatsoever, and I believe I completely lost any interest at all within thirty minutes. I seriously doubt I'll ever revisit this product.

For me, this game started off ok and then just tanked. There was no challenge whatsoever, and I believe I completely lost any interest at all within thirty minutes. I seriously doubt I'll ever revisit this product.

On Hard I was getting rocked. Had to turn it to Normal which can still give me fits. Maybe they patched it or something.

One of the worst crpg ive played in the last years; so simplistic and derpish (no tactics, no autoattack, no info on mobs, missing a ton of mechanics you would expect from a rpg), terrible loadings and 35 clicks to start the game.

Loading in towns is fast and I actually like the loading screen lore. It's not as deep as some CRPGs but I wouldn't call it simplistic myself. I'm enjoying leveling up, questing and finding loot. Not for everybody though.

Sword Coast Legends is the worst kickstarter game of the CRPG renaissance in my opinion, but it's still decent in a couple of ways. I'd say that it's at least worth trying.

It's mostly the fanbase's fault for hyping it up as the next Neverwinter Nights 3, even though the developers were pretty honest about what would become of the final product.

This is interesting considering it wasn't a kickstarter game.

Sword Coast Legends is the worst kickstarter game of the CRPG renaissance in my opinion, but it's still decent in a couple of ways. I'd say that it's at least worth trying.

It's mostly the fanbase's fault for hyping it up as the next Neverwinter Nights 3, even though the developers were pretty honest about what would become of the final product.

This is interesting considering it wasn't a kickstarter game.

It was such a bad kickstarter game, it didnt even make it on kickstarter.

Seriously, I still have not played it. I was undecided. But now, it is no longer on offer on Steam (and never was on GOG). Hence, that decision is being made easy for me.

Soooo, my poor backlog dodged another bullet. ;)

This is a funny example where the "let's wait for a cheap, patched version" strategy results into unexpected "benefits".

Last edited:
What? I must of dreamed it then, because I could of swore I had seen it on kickstarter.

I think it's a question of expectation. A lot of us you played it on release where super hyped for the first DnD game in a long time.
If you play it now you perhaps know of all the negative reviews and critics and have lower expectations.

One example that might be minor but really bugged me:
Not only did the NPC totally ignore the main characters race (even for Drow!). The selected race didn't even show up in the character screen.

I actually forgot which elf subrace I was playing. Which of course is partly the player's fault.

I think it's a question of expectation. A lot of us you played it on release where super hyped for the first DnD game in a long time.
If you play it now you perhaps know of all the negative reviews and critics and have lower expectations.

One example that might be minor but really bugged me:
Not only did the NPC totally ignore the main characters race (even for Drow!). The selected race didn't even show up in the character screen.

I actually forgot which elf subrace I was playing. Which of course is partly the player's fault.

I noticed the non-specific to race dialogue, too, and was kind of bummed by that. But in history now the Drow are more accepted, especially the men. But yeah, kind of a missed opportunity there.

On the bright side, there are plenty of skill checks in dialogue and there seem to be some branching paths in quests and story based on your choices. You can complete things in different ways, there's minimal handholding and no level scaling in encounters (I just ran into a cult leader that wiped me completely, have to return later, sort of like running into a lich in the city of Athkatla.) The game definitely has some perks. I also enjoy finding hidden treasures that also sometimes involve skill checks using the Search skill. It's not a bad game at all IMO, definitely not worthy of a 61 on metacritic unless you really were expecting NWN 3 or Baldur's Gate 3. It gives off Dark Alliance vibes but is much more robust and deeper than that.

And *gasp*! You can fail skill checks! Sometimes resulting in unexpected things like the price of a bribe going up or what have you. Dice rolls, baby. I love that. :) And sometimes it prompts you to drink a specialty potion or what not to help with the check. And there are secrets, too, and things that can be tricky to figure out, like opening certain doors with secret techniques or following instructions you found on how to activate some secret chamber or scenario. It's cool.

One more thing, on the cooldown system. The cooldowns are quite long, so you may only be able to use an ability once per combat. It's not like an MMO where you're constantly spamming the hotbar, quite the opposite. So the cooldowns, which I thought would negatively affect my enjoyment, are not bad at all. They balanced them well IMO.

I bought it but only played for a little while. There is a pretty long path in the beginning that is extremely linear. I finished that and started something else. Will get back to it one day.

I bought it but only played for a little while. There is a pretty long path in the beginning that is extremely linear. I finished that and started something else. Will get back to it one day.

Once you reach Luskan it opens up a bit to side quests and exploration. The starting area and first dungeon are pretty linear though.

If Kingmaker has as good of a campaign as this game, I'll be really happy. The story is interesting so far, great soundtrack, lots of cool dialogue and the writing is good. I'm surprised at how I'm enjoying this so far. Maybe Kingmaker might have to wait an extra day or two at this pace.

Edit - Having a blast so far. Combat can be tricky at times in tough battles (gelatinous cubes, bosses, etc.) and the story continues to intrigue. The voice acting, which I'm usually not a big fan of, really adds to the atmosphere. The dungeons are solid with lots of secrets and solid encounters. I like building my Drow Ranger a lot. I've made a Rogue nearly a non-necessity since I'm spec'ing in Search and Lockpicking, also wearing a rare set of greaves that gives Lockpicking +6. Dual wielding a Sun Blade (forged by a blacksmith, there are rare parts he can forge stuff out of) and a "golden" scimitar (loot is color-coded, and while it's not overwhelming amounts of stuff like a Diablo game, you can find some great hand-placed items.) Gold or orange are really unique items, and there's blue and green and common items. I appreciate the balance of the game overall, it's not too much of a good thing. Loot is there but it's not overwhelming a la Divinity OS:2 seemed. Dungeons are deep but not so deep and tricky that you spend hours in them (so far). There's lots of side quests and touching little stories, again with the voice acting that adds to them. Overall I'm impressed. If Kingmaker wasn't coming out so soon I'd probably finish this one (although I play slow, I might not be able to do that before Kingmaker comes out.)

Any questions feel free to ask. I'm about 20 hours deep into it and have not really scratched the surface yet. Have 2 way out of the way places to visit, the Lurkwood and the Ashen Priest's tomb, both of which I expect to be challenging, maybe too much so since there doesn't seem to be level-scaling and I was warned about the Ashen Priest's tomb. Might try my hand at the cult leader again, who summons 2 fiends and was an insta-kill battle earlier for my team. We have good potions and scrolls now, though, so we'll see. :)

Fun game, this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom