Fallout 4 - Building and Management

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Jon Morcom (who managed to spend over 200 hours in the game) reflects about the Fallout 4 settlement features.

Fallout 4’s economy is fairly robust and I’ve not really struggled for caps which is why, more often than not, I’ve had Dogmeat burdened with telephones, microscopes, and fuel cans rather than higher yield items like guns and missile launchers – the crafting by-products of mundane items, like oil and copper wire, are quite rare but ultimately essential in building defences and lighting. Although the need to scrounge large quantities of copper wire has been patched out now, I liked that these elements were hard to find – it encouraged thorough exploration and made the unearthing of a sweet stash feel like a hard-won reward.

Where Bethesda has got it slightly wrong is with the emergent scenarios that flash up, alerting you to help defend this settlement or other. I appreciate that I’ve become a Minuteman and that my ilk have earned a reputation for rapid response and these prompts really do tend to prick my conscience, but then the more pragmatic me thinks “You can fuck right off, people of The Slog, I’m too busy looting this factory.” As far as annoyances go, these alerts are on a par with GTA IV’s Niko Bellic being randomly called by irritant extraordinaire cousin Roman and having him ask if you want to go bowling.
Thanks Couch.

More information.

I love the feature but it feels underdeveloped.
First few locations I was building this and that (except fences, those looked useless since the game start) but soon it grew into boredom - there is basically nothing to gain from villages with all the fancy stuff you get to build during the game.

I would love to see a big expansion of the crafting/building in FO4, it's right up in the top 5 of my gaming wishlist for now. If they could get it to something comparable with 7 Days to Die, I could probably put 500 hours into it. 7 Days to Die without zombies and with much better graphics and optimization. What else could one ask for?

Except caps. Stores generate caps. Oh, and crops for adhesive ingredients…. ;?

FO4 suffers from the same problem as every other Bethesda title: if you're a gamer who likes to really spend time in the gameworld and explore its breadth, you're swimming in resources and power within a few hours. In the case of FO4 specifically, settlements' value is only significant if you focus on them to the exclusion of almost all else; building them alongside the main plot and gameworld exploration means that you don't need any of those caps or other resources by the time they start rolling in.

Scarcity is the mother of effective game mechanics. In contrast, Bethesda's focus is typically on providing tons of different pathways to resource abundance. Anyone who's motivated to explore multiple gameplay systems (gameworld exploration, sidequests, main narrative, settlements, etc.) will find that scarcity is pretty much wiped out before they've even scratched the game's surface.

FO4 suffers from the same problem as every other Bethesda title: if you're a gamer who likes to really spend time in the gameworld and explore its breadth, you're swimming in resources and power within a few hours. In the case of FO4 specifically, settlements' value is only significant if you focus on them to the exclusion of almost all else; building them alongside the main plot and gameworld exploration means that you don't need any of those caps or other resources by the time they start rolling in.

Scarcity is the mother of effective game mechanics. In contrast, Bethesda's focus is typically on providing tons of different pathways to resource abundance. Anyone who's motivated to explore multiple gameplay systems (gameworld exploration, sidequests, main narrative, settlements, etc.) will find that scarcity is pretty much wiped out before they've even scratched the game's surface.

I think this is a good point, and it sort of has to do with the fact that Bethesda does not expect nor demands any single player explore the entire breadth of content.

In a game like Gothic, for example, it's much harder to get rich, and you have to actively use every resource at your disposal for most of the game to get an edge. The game content doesn't scale and you as the player are expected to exploit many systems to get an edge.

In more modern games, it seems the developers expect a typical player to either rush through content or not explore the breadth of the content, yet the player still wants to get rich and gain many resources. So, instead of forcing the player to explore everything, you are rewarded with many resources by just exploring each individual path.

I'm sure there is some connection to instant gratification and that sort of thing going on here.

However, Skyrim had a relatively decently-balanced economy for me. Meaning, I could get rich, but the money was quickly spent on a few high level training sessions, so it somewhat balanced out.

I think if I were designing a game, I would go for the "force players to explore and take advantage of all systems to gain an edge" approach. It somewhat limits player freedom in a way, as it gives you pseudo-freedom, but the end result is a more enriching and meaningful experience. At least, in my opinion.

Well early on I couldn't buy some of the legendary armor I wanted. It took quite a few scavenging runs before I was comfortable spending that amount of caps. But now, of course, I am rich beyond measure...

I don't think it's by accident, Bethesda makes their games to appeal to the casual gamer knowing mods will take care of the hardcore gamers, then they rake in cash from everyone.

It's proving to be quite successful for them. My brother prefers easier games where he can be a god 1/2 through, I like my games sadisticly hard. We both got that out of skyrim and will out of FO4, however I have to mod the crap out of mine.

I haven't played the vanilla version of oblivion, skyrim, FO3 or 4. I have a feeling if I did I like them much less.

Back
Top Bottom