Like Grim Dawn?

After getting ripped a new one multiple times I hit youtube to see how others were coping. I couldn't believe how strong everyone's builds were. To your point I guess. I eventually got though it but it wasn't pretty. I don't mind getting killed and having to adjust my strategy but I found it pretty ridiculous. In the end I think I cheesed it with teleporting back to camp and back to the battle again. I can't recall exactly. But I never picked up the game again.

Fact that you can't beat game without proper build/itemization is plus form.That being said you do need solid build but far from perfect.In fact I beaten game with several weird ones (melee fire damage based Witch with exploding minions was probably my favorite).

Well, I've finished the first part of Diablo 3, the part before the expansion. I think I was about 45th level and basically used the first few skills I got in the beginning of the game through the whole thing. I was a wizard and if things got hairy, I'd become an Archon, which is god-mode for 20 seconds :) That is on normal. In comparison with Grim Dawn, Diablo is much, much easier in normal mode and there is much less fiddling with your gear to be successful. I very much enjoyed my time with D3 so far, though and look forward to the reaper of souls.

One thing that surprised me; even with frequently going off the beaten path, I finished D3 in a weekend. I played almost all day both days, but it is a short game. The expansion will likely last another couple days, but the bang for the buck is in replaying as other classes and/or other difficulties. I'm not sure whether I will continue with my Wizard on hard, or start somebody else.

I might mess with Path after this, just to add a 3rd game to the comparison.

In my experience, Normal is the casual introduction - and I'd definitely recommend going Expert or Master once you've got decent enough gear. If not, you might as well watch a Youtube playthrough :)

Remember, the harder the setting - the more XP, gold and loot you'll get!

They've done away with several of the difficulty levels from what I've read. There is a hard that I can choose though. Should I just start the campaign over on hard, or finish the expansion on normal? I'm going to start a Diablo-3 questions thread, since this is wandering off topic.

Last edited:
They've done away with several of the difficulty levels from what I've read. There is a hard that I can choose though. Should I just start the campaign over on hard, or finish the expansion on normal? As far as gear goes, I just take everything that raises intelligence/damage. Everything else I mostly ignore. If something adds damage to one of the 3-4 skills I use, that's the tie breaker. I don't worry about gold adds or magic adds though I'd love better drops.

You can "up" the difficulty one step while playing - or you can exit and choose the one you want from the main menu (excluding Torment 2+, IIRC - which you can only choose later on). When you choose a difficulty level from the main menu - the current quest is reset, but that's usually 5-10 minutes worth of playing.

As for loot, it doesn't start being cool until legendaries start having unique properties - which happens near level 50 or so, and pretty much all 60+ level legendaries have them.

I recommend setting it to Hard - and then upping it to Expert if it's still too easy. That said, the game isn't really hard until Torment if you've got decent gear. But Normal is definitely too easy for an experienced player.

I started on Torment 1 once I got a a bunch of paragon levels. Putting all the initial points into the main stat makes the game a push over even on Torment 1 at low levels.

Without those paragon levels, you can start on Master difficulty, and do just fine. It's a moderate challenge, the bosses may be a little tricky, but that makes it interesting (for me, at least).

Let's not forget Van Helsing - very fun little series in this vein released in the last few years. I'm not sure how "deep" it goes in terms of nightmare modes, as I tend to only play those games to the normal end, then move on. But it's worth it just for general campiness and steampunk vibe alone.

I play magic users, Duchess. Is there a spell-flinging class in Van Helsing? If so, I'll probably give it a try too, once I get done with my Two Worlds Two fix.

I actually didn't like Van Helsing much.Character development is weak, itemization is even worse, combat is spamy and far too easy(even on highest difficulty). There are good things about the games.Dialogs between 2 main characters are fun, steampunk setting is nice and I like that monsters draw inspirations from steampunk, Slavic and Germanic mythology and legends, those things are nice but for me action RPG needs to have good gameplay.

Okay, so it might be nice to grab as a bundle sale then and give it a whirl. Thanks for the update, NO.

Back
Top Bottom