Neverwinter - Official Site Released

My dream is crushed the abomination is still in production.

Whats with the total dumbed downess of these once great franchises?! I just don't get it.. I guess if you look at DnD itself (pen and paper 4th ed.) they've done the same thing..

I mean, you see a lot of pissin and moaning about games being dumbed down by us "true" rpg oldschool lovers, but really cmon now, it's getting pretty undeniably obvious here now..

A dumbed down computer game using a dumbed down ruleset?

Yay :)

I hate to judge a game before it's release, but I really can't see how Neverwinter is going to be any better than Daggerdale.

The graphic in the trailer (its in game graphic) is surprisingly good , given my extremely low expectations.

Maybe it will not be total train wreck.

And there's an editor.

I would care but it will be nothing like NWN 1+2 with there toolset. Aslo the fact that you have to play online is a turn off for me. Yes you heard me even for singleplayer.

Seriously someone esle buy the D&D license please all Atari makes is mmo's and crap like daggerdale. Please.:fingerscrossed:

I don't really care for overly complex rule sets myself, so this looks interesting. And since I game nearly 100% on my desktop PC, unless my cable goes out, the online thing is not that big of a deal to me. I might actually give this a try.

I don't really care for overly complex rule sets myself, so this looks interesting. And since I game nearly 100% on my desktop PC, unless my cable goes out, the online thing is not that big of a deal to me. I might actually give this a try.

I play games mostly on my pc to but you see I hate MMO's and games in general that force me to play online. I hate playing online maybe hates not strong enough more like loathe. Its to late to change and I never will. Singleplayer games are what I love best.

If I want to socialize there are bars and clubs are you know nothing beats talking face to face with a real person.

I haven't played an MMO since just after the beta of Ultima Online. That said, I'm certainly not against them. For me the issue was always lack of time.

It comes down to the experience though. If I like the experience of the game play, I'm not going to care if it is online or not.

On a side note I found this little tidbit on PCGAMER.

nothing says ‘high fantasy RPG’ better than a shot of an ancient tome burning away and a voice-over declaring “THIS CITY PROMISES DEATH FOR THE MEEK.”

It’s been a while since we heard anything about Neverwinter, and it seems to have slimmed down a bit in the interim. It’s now referred to as a co-op action RPG, not an MMO. It’s built on on D&D rules that’ll have you and four friends (or NPC companions) grouping together to take on quests.

Cryptic promise a strong storyline, but also want players to be able to create their own adventures using an “extremely user friendly content generation system, tentatively named Forge.” Cryptic developed similar tools, also called ‘The Forge’ for their Star Trek Online MMO. There’s no solid release date for this one just yet. Check out the newly launched Neverwinter site for more.

There calling it an co-op action rpg now but if the game requires you to play online its still an MMO.

The trailer is much more nicely edited than the ones for previous nwn games. That said, gotta hate the D&D aesthetic, it just stinks of corny american medieval fair.

I'm generally not interested in online play anymore and, hence, I'm not at all interested in this quasi-MMO. I wish someone would make a decent D&D game these days.

I'm so done with MMOs...and online play in general. The only time I even consider it anymore is if I feel the need for the increased challenge of playing against a human opponent in, say, a strategy game. (I'm playing Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy lately. The AI can still beat up on me at the higher difficulty, but I can see how I might need to look online, if I ever have the time to get good enough at the game. By the way, it's not an RPG, but I know we have some tactical turnibased fans out there. If you're looking for some good WeGo tactical warfare strategy, you might want to check out CM:BN.)

There calling it an co-op action rpg now but if the game requires you to play online its still an MMO.

I disagree. If the instance of the world you are playing in only has you (and friends), it's completely missing the Massive in MMO. It's more of a DRM tactic at that point.

I disagree. If the instance of the world you are playing in only has you (and friends), it's completely missing the Massive in MMO. It's more of a DRM tactic at that point.

No it is there forcing you to play on there servers. Hence by definition it is an MMO. Not an single player game. Its like someone saying guildwars isn't an mmo just because you can solo on there servers.

No it is there forcing you to play on there servers. Hence by definition it is an MMO. Not an single player game. Its like someone saying guildwars isn't an mmo just because you can solo on there servers.

I'm not familiar with guildwars, but my understanding is that the definition of a Massive-Multiplayer Online game refers to the number of other players you can interact with. If it is limited to a handful of players in any individual game instance, it's really no different, in terms of play, than NWN was. The bad end is different.

Regardless, we are arguing semantics. I just don't think you can lump a game like this in with Ultima Online, Everquest, WoW, etc., which have no solo component at all.

Something like this would more likely be considered a MUD and is not an MMO. I have been wondering though where it says you are forced to play online in singleplayer? Also if you have to play on their servers how would user created content work? Would they approve it and then put it on their servers.

Something like this would more likely be considered a MUD and is not an MMO. I have been wondering though where it says you are forced to play online in singleplayer? Also if you have to play on their servers how would user created content work? Would they approve it and then put it on their servers.

From what info there is available people will upload there content and others can use it.
Im not really interested as there track record isn't that great plus to me this isn't a true sequel. Just a game using the name. But what do I know it could turn out to be a success. That all i will say on this topic.:movingon:

Back
Top Bottom