NWN2 Khelgar: Why a monk?

Neverwinter Nights 2

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Why would anyone make Khelgar into a monk? I've been trying to figure that out the whole game. I've just reached Act II and I haven't visited the dwarven scouts. I had done the quest but restored to an earlier save and forgot about it. You can't finish Khelgar's quests in Act I, AFAIK, so why would anyone start a monk with an 11th or higher fighter? The only class that really would make sense is Weapon Master....

Because he resets to level 1, gains all his levels as monk levels(you get to level him from lvl 1), and keeps his stat bonuses up to that point. :)

Oops! I posted this in the wrong forum...Thanks for the reply Maylander. That makes some sense at least. I hope that I can just keep him as a fighter. Khelgar makes a terrible monk, but a great fighter. If I can make him a weapon master, so much the better.

Oops! I posted this in the wrong forum...Thanks for the reply Maylander. That makes some sense at least. I hope that I can just keep him as a fighter. Khelgar makes a terrible monk, but a great fighter. If I can make him a weapon master, so much the better.

I went ahead and moved it to Spoilers so we can talk openly. I'm playing a Paladin, so I don't necessarily need a pure fighter, but a Monk sounds interesting.

However, despite hearing that he does OK as a Monk, I'm pursuing it for purely role-play value.

Yes, you can keep him as a fighter. It's all about what you need really, if you are a fighter yourself you probably won't need another one, but a monk could be valuable as they offer different skills.

A tip: If you make him a monk, be sure to give him 15 base dexterity, so he can learn the circle kick feat.

Why would anyone make Khelgar into a monk?

Because it's his wishes.

Or seriously, the whole point with a monk is to have a character that can take a whole lot more punishment than a fighter, including being near immune against all forms of spells, but with less damage output. If you already have a good party for the purpose of dealing damage (spellcasters etc), a monk is more useful than a fighter.

I had no problems changing him to a Monk or complaints but I did have to ask around to to build him since I have never played a Monk.

Same happened to me Loburian, the second phase of the final fight was won due to Khelgar as a monk in my first run through the game.

Hmm, I'm a monk meself. Do y'all reckon I should make Khelgar one, too? It might be fun. :p

double monk patrol!

Like Jemy said earlier, because it's his wish!

Part of the way I play these games is to not always make the "best" type of team going, I dont crunch the numbers very much. I do what feels right or might be interesting, even if it very well might be to my detriment strategically.

makes it more of a challenge, and for me, in the end more fun than having the optimal everying, steamrolling the entire game.

So maybe make scrappy-doo a monk just for the hell of it!

Part of the way I play these games is to not always make the "best" type of team going, I dont crunch the numbers very much. I do what feels right or might be interesting, even if it very well might be to my detriment strategically.

Exactly the same here - I missed out on Deekin the first time in SoU around as I stuck by my initial comrade & fellow student ...

I kept Deekin until I found Aribeth, then it was no contest!! :)

Yes well, that was in HotU not SoU Corwin;)

I was torn between going with Aribeth (my favorite character from the original game) or my goofy kobold bard that had been my sidekick in both expansions. In the end I chose to stick with Deekin on my first play through, but then I never got to finish my second time through before some other game caught my interest.

I almost fell off the chair laughing the first time Deeking starting singing his Doom song in the Undermountain dungeons :lol:

At my age I'm supposed to remember which bunch of letters I'm playing!! SOU, HOU who cares!!!! :biggrin:

Make good choices with your inventory and stats and you can take any combination of characters through the game. DND 3 and 3.5 made big advances in class balance, with the effect that all of them are about equally powerful once they have their gear. The balance only really breaks down on high-magic PWs, where a few broken builds like dev-critters and timestopping sorcs dominate everything else. In NWN2? Bring whoever you like.

Just so you all know, you can expect Corwin to know about stuff around the 1800's but after that, give up.

*Wonders if she should go hide this time?*

When I try to turn him into a monk it says "[Influence: Failure]", but I'm sure I've never displeased him... (Even said he should have the Ironfist gloves and put them on my main character anyway :p)

I just got the keep and I'm doing the first quest, is it too early to turn him into a monk?

Well once you complete all 3 task you can change him anytime.
Here is how you view your influence with any character or change it if you have a bug.

DebugMode 1
rs kr_influence

It opens up a fairly simple dialogue box. :)

Back
Top Bottom