Yet another BG 2 question

bloodlover

Sentinel
So I was browsing the internetz for info about Baldur's Gate 2 sorcerers and I found two sites telling two different stories :

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/kits.php#9

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/11588

One says that sorc does NOT need intelligence and the other one A sorcerer's prime requisite in BG2 is INTELLIGENCE.. It's all very confusing.

Any opinios regarding a sorc's stats in this game ? And also what spells to use in order for the char. to be useful with those stats ? >.>

The Sorcerer's prime stat for spellcasting is Charisma. That's the primary difference between a Sorcerer and a Mage.

Charisma and Dexterity will be your most important stats.

What spells are most useful is going to depend on the situation.

Does Intelligence do anything at all for Sorcerers? I always preferred the Sorcerer over the mage because I hated having to plan out what spells I might need to use.

Actually it´s neither charisma nor intelligence, it wasn´t implemented.
I think you can´t have cha and int lower than 9 and that´s it when it comes to influence of these attributes on sorcering.
Benefits of these attributes for sorcerers are the same as for non-spellcasters - intelligence helps against mind flayers, mazing and, iirc, it also influences lore and usability of some protection scrolls, charisma is convenient when you don´t want to switch for another char for shopping/ don´t want to waste a ring slot.

As for the other stats, dexterity is always good to have maxed, constitution at 16 is all you need, wisdom might come in handy if you plan to use wish spells more extensively.
As for spells, too many to list and it depends on play style/party composition anyway. You can´t go wrong with magic missile, mirror image, haste (later improved haste), stoneskin, breach, for example. Mordekainen´s sword is the best non-HLA summon, Melf´s minute meteors are seriously overpowered for a level 3 offensive spells since they count as +6 weapons and can also be used to disrupt stoneskinned enemy spellcasters because of bonus fire damage.

Last edited:
Actually it´s neither charisma nor intelligence, it wasn´t implemented.

Ah…so the manual is incorrect then…

So the amount of spells a Sorcerer gets is basically pre-set then? I'm surprised I never heard about this before, but then I never played as a Sorcerer anyways.

Sorcerers use Charisma.
you need 10+(level of spell you want to cast) cha
high cha gives you better dice checks on your spells
high cha is supposed to give you bonus casts. /shrug
SPOILER: theres a ring of leadership in the circus in wakeens promanade that sets its users cha to 18. Right where you come out of the newbie dungeon.

beyond that con is most important followed by dex. Screw armor class, cast stoneskin or improved invis. High str is good depending on what tensers transformation does. In Icewind Dale 2 sorcerers are insanely good but in BG2 half-elf ranger/clerics are easily better. Also, kensais with thief levels can "use magic items" and put on banned gear. Makes them pretty killer. Epic traps are crazy.

The Sorcerers of Baldur's Gate 2 have no Main-Attribute. Maybe it should have been Charisma, but it isn't implemented in the Game. It doesn't matter if you have CHA 2 or 20, your Spells are the same.

Sorcerers use Charisma.
you need 10+(level of spell you want to cast) cha
high cha gives you better dice checks on your spells
high cha is supposed to give you bonus casts. /shrug
No.
Sorcerers can´t have charisma lower than 9 (at least iirc) and that´s it. Charisma has no effect on their class-specific abilities. Some things just weren´t implemented - wisdom has no influence on saving throws, intelligence isn´t required to cast high level spells, sorcerers don´t use charisma.

Indeed, it was implemented in NWN (and beyond), but not BG2. Just make sure your Dex/Con is decent, as it makes it easier to stay alive.

I've never noticed, but I've never rolled a sorc without cha, either.

Better to teach him the proper dnd rules. Sorcs still need cha even if its bugged in BG2!

is it bugged in IWD2?

Hmm, I always thought Sorcerers needed high Charisma to cast more spells as well *shrug* I can't remember where I've read that from... but everytime I played sorcerer, I've made sure charisma is 18 or so.

Me too. I'm actually tempted to replay BG2 again just to see if I can end up with an awesome Sorcerer that is also a total tank!

All my characters are total tanks, simply because I re-roll the dice until I get amazing stats, hehe.

Back
Top Bottom