Video Brightness

D

Deleted User

Hello. :)

I have a question. I have calibrated my monitor properly, and it is a 4K UHD with UHD color, i.e. full dynamic range color. 32-bit color, 8 bit whatever and 4:4:4. So, the screen looks great. However, when I play videos, and this goes for any video, whether on YouTube or from my hard drive, it appears as though the brightness is too low for them. I started noticing it with a YouTube video yesterday that had some dark dungeon areas, and then today with some recorded footage I made.

So, I'm a bit curious as to why this is. The setting in Nvidia Control Panel is set to use the video player settings for color, etc.. I switched it to "Use Nvidia Settings" and turned up the brightness to 65-70%, and it looks brighter. But I'm wondering why the videos would be dark in the first place if my monitor is correctly calibrated.

Any ideas here? I also need to check if YouTube videos are affected by the brightness settings I just changed. It doesn't appear to affect YouTube videos. Any help would be appreciated, as always. :)

Isn't there a step after that that lowers the size of the video before you upload it to youtube? Perhaps one of the settings there is causing it.

The only idea I can think of if you're into videorecording, always keep two different monitors attached to two separate PCs. The second PC can and should be some cheap business crap needed for testing (you can always find some dell's laptop garbage on ebay for some cheap $).
That's the only way to be certain if there is a hardware or software problem with some video.

Isn't there a step after that that lowers the size of the video before you upload it to youtube? Perhaps one of the settings there is causing it.

It's not just my recorded video, though. It's video I watch on YouTube or other videos on my hard drive.

The only idea I can think of if you're into videorecording, always keep two different monitors attached to two separate PCs. The second PC can and should be some cheap business crap needed for testing (you can always find some dell's laptop garbage on ebay for some cheap $).
That's the only way to be certain if there is a hardware or software problem with some video.

True. I'll check it out on my second monitor. Thanks.

Huh. The videos looks right on my second monitor.

Edit - Seems it was pretty simple. My calibration was off on my main monitor. Re-calibrated and skipped the brightness section and now it's better. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom