Fallout: New Vegas - Teaser Trailer

CENTER]

Lighten up, Francis - Fallout 3 is an action-centric shooter/RPG hybrid with a focus on delivering quick levels, quick achievements, and easy pick-up-and play. Those are limitations, just like the small areas of Dragon Age are limitations - whenever you enter the space of an existing game you have limitations. The fact that the game is console-centric and needs to continue the tradition of making sure everything is console-first sets further limitations. The further fact that the writing and story and characters of Fallout 3 were very limited and took a back seat to a huge open world (as fits with Bethesda's strengths) is yet another set of limitations.

Those are limitations of the game, not the engine. OEI could slow down the leveling curve, make it harder to max out so many skills, just like they can deliver a better story than that of F3.

Then again, I don't really know how much freedom Beth have given Obsidian to change such things.

I like the idea of an intact Vegas a lot. Especially if there're lots of political machinations going on. I'm guessing New Vegas is independant, and NCR want to take them over.

I hope they allow us to skip the slo-mo in VATS.

I no longer expect anything from either Bethesda or Bioware to not be console-centric. Not that they're bad games or anything, I just don't think we'll ever see anything like Daggerfall or Baldur's Gate again from those 2 companies.

What annoyed me was the "War never changes" bit at the end. I would have thought they could be a bit more inventive than to recycle that.

Have you played many of the Fallout games? Ron Perlman has done the Fallout intro voice overs since the orrginal and that's the line he uses to start it. You may as well complain about them still using the PiP boy imagery throughout all those games as well. That line is iconic as far as their intros go.

Have you played many of the Fallout games? Ron Perlman has done the Fallout intro voice overs since the orrginal and that's the line he uses to start it. You may as well complain about them still using the PiP boy imagery throughout all those games as well. That line is iconic as far as their intros go.

That's why I was disappointed that they used it. This is a new game, with no connection to any of the other titles. I would just like to see a little more originality…. ;)

That's why I was disappointed that they used it. This is a new game, with no connection to any of the other titles. I would just like to see a little more originality…. ;)

So you wish it wasn't a fallout game. To say it has no connection to any of the other titles is incorrect. While it is stated as non-canon, this is to prevent Bethesda from having to incorporate plot developments from New Vegas into the franchise and to free obsidian to develop the plot of their product a they see fit. That being said, the reason they went through the trouble to license the Fallout IP for this game is because they want to make a Fallout game. That phrase is the game's iconic catch phrase and it would be silly to leave it out.

Your complaint would be like complaining that a new Final Fantasy game had the same intro music in it at the load screen - despite almost none of the games existing the same world at all, not even as alternate time lines of the same world. It would be like complaining that the main character in Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams was the Avatar even though the game did not really connect back to the rest of the series aftwards.

They're calling it a Fallout game so it would be a waste if they left out the little touches, like that little phrase, that are part of the Fallout theme. If they were going to scrap iconic things like that which did not constrain their ability to tell a new and different story in that world, then why bother with the franchise. If there's no Pip boy, no ron perlman, no vaults, and no 50's retro style then sure it could be more original. It also wouldn't feel like a Fallout game at all and could be made without paying for the license.

So you wish it wasn't a fallout game.

Is that what I said? Let me check.....nope.

To say it has no connection to any of the other titles is incorrect. While it is stated as non-canon

You read my statement out of context, by "no connection", I meant canon-wise.

They're calling it a Fallout game so it would be a waste if they left out the little touches, like that little phrase, that are part of the Fallout theme. If they were going to scrap iconic things like that which did not constrain their ability to tell a new and different story in that world, then why bother with the franchise. If there's no Pip boy, no ron perlman, no vaults, and no 50's retro style then sure it could be more original. It also wouldn't feel like a Fallout game at all and could be made without paying for the license.

You're reading way too much into my original comment, it's just a teaser trailer after all. I can see you're a very passionate Fallout fan, and there's nothing wrong with that, but my opinion is simply that the trailer was a bit disappointing to me, nothing more.

I no longer expect anything from either Bethesda or Bioware to not be console-centric. Not that they're bad games or anything, I just don't think we'll ever see anything like Daggerfall or Baldur's Gate again from those 2 companies.

If you don't think Dragon Age is at least a reasonable attempt at something like BG2, then - no - absolutely not. Personally, I think Bio deserves credit for producing a game that is likely to appeal to a hardcore audience.

If they make a Fallout game or any other game that is part of a franchise and remove all elements that make it part of the franchise would make it not part of that franchise. If they take away important elements like the theme, visual style, audio style, ect. then it removes part of what makes the game part of a franchise. That means taking away something like that proverb by Ron Perlman would be taking away part of what makes it a Fallout game. You can keep those elements that make up the identity of Fallout and make it a very unique game and have a large amount of creativity involved.

PS. From what I have seen there is some creativity involved to make this game unique by having Las Vegas intact it could introduce elements that have never been in the Fallout universe so far by having a pseudo-50s Sci-Fi Las Vegas in the wasteland.

That means taking away something like that proverb by Ron Perlman would be taking away part of what makes it a Fallout game. You can keep those elements that make up the identity of Fallout and make it a very unique game and have a large amount of creativity involved.

If that's in reference to my post, I thought I made it obvious that I was talking specifically about the teaser, not the game itself.

If you don't think Dragon Age is at least a reasonable attempt at something like BG2, then - no - absolutely not. Personally, I think Bio deserves credit for producing a game that is likely to appeal to a hardcore audience.

I agree, Dragon Age ended up being a lot better than I thought it would it would be. I think it could have been better still, but it was a worthy effort.

I no longer expect anything from either Bethesda or Bioware to not be console-centric.

I don't think that Dragon Age is any more console-centric than Risen, Divinity 2, or Sacred 2. Bioware did a better job porting the PC-centric game to consoles, but unlike Mass Effect 2 (which was a good console-to-PC port) Dragon Age is pretty clearly a PC-first game.

But as for the core Fallout issues, I agree with you. I am not about applying some 'Fallout Litmus Test' ...

I'm glad they included "War, war never changes", it is iconic Fallout. Ron Perlman is like the one thing Bethesda didn't totally screw up.

That sure looks like a Desert Ranger and Las Vegas was left intact in Wasteland too. "Legend has it that the "house" was betting against a Soviet missile hitting the city and since no one wins against the house, it survived relatively intact." I know Fargo & inXile own the Wasteland rights but since there was a mention of the Rangers in Fallout 1, I think they could take some liberty incorporating a Wasteland like story involving the NCR.

there was a mention of the Rangers in Fallout 1

Rangers actually appeared in Fallout 2- though they functioned as militant abolitionists exclusively.

"War, war never changes" felt A-OK to me in that trailer. That line always gives goose bumps.

Las Vegas/New Vegas though, isn't it weird that it's not blown to bits? A well lit, functioning city feels a bit un-fallouty to me. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm really looking forward to this one.

I think that the intact main (?) city is a nice little twist. For people in the Wasteland New Vegas must come across like a legend, a shining city "somewhere out there". Like today in a way, one much more intensified due to nuclear destruction in most other places. This can work very well.

That line always gives goose bumps.

Yeah, me too. That statement is a central literary theme to the franchise. To be fair though, JDR13 did say he was taking issue with it being in the trailer rather than taking issue with it being in the game. While I was glad to hear it because of the emotional response it evokes, I do get what he's saying even if I disagree. The presence of that theme is taken almost as a given at this point so I understand wanting to see something unexpected in the trailer.

Crysis of course(but max out crysis make all games look mediocre), why do you need mod if you think the game look good anyway? may be it truly look mediocre and i can't stand moonwalking in Bethesda's games. Oh, and Borderland look better and more stylish than Fallout 3.

I was referring to gameplay (most importantly) and if you don't look into mods for your games you might as well pick up a console imo. Also in ho way in h**l does borderlands look better than FO3. I enjoyed Crysis but I only put a few hours into it unlike with FO3 which I have put quite a bit of time into.

Anyways like I said a modded up FO3 install rivals any game that has come out in a long time in the gameplay department. My only gripe with FO3 is the storyline was pretty lacking and linear and kind of kills that you can do whatever you want mentality.

I don't think that Dragon Age is any more console-centric than Risen, Divinity 2, or Sacred 2. Bioware did a better job porting the PC-centric game to consoles, but unlike Mass Effect 2 (which was a good console-to-PC port) Dragon Age is pretty clearly a PC-first game.

I would say it was definitely more console-centric that Risen.

The problem I have is that its flaws are even more glaring to me knowing that it was supposedly developed PC-first. While I would say it was a better game overall than KotOR or Jade Empire, which were obvious console ports, it was still very similar to those titles in many ways. - i.e. very linear maps, simplified inventory, recycled party system, etc.

I would say it was definitely more console-centric that Risen.

The problem I have is that its flaws are even more glaring to me knowing that it was supposedly developed PC-first. While I would say it was a better game overall than KotOR or Jade Empire, which were obvious console ports, it was still very similar to those titles in many ways. - i.e. very linear maps, simplified inventory, recycled party system, etc.

I think it is perhaps semantics, but I would say that Dragon Age was designed with multi-platform portability in mind, whereas Risen was designed as a PC game and then attempted to port it to the X360.

But console-centric means designed for consoles as the primary target, and that is clearly not true for Dragon Age - just take a look at Mass Effect 1 /2, Jade Empire, KotOR, etc for evidence.

Back
Top Bottom