Dragon Age - Leliana Update

Interesting how they manage to put everybody off with the marketing, while reading previews and info about the game makes me believe it has the potential to be very fun, even from a "hardcore" perspective. Let's hope the marketing really only is about tricking new kinds of players into the game, and doesn't reflect on actual gameplay too much.

Oooh, that would be a crime! I do hope that the gameplay isn't that different, even though everybody hopes for an old-school RPG experience (including me) and consoles don't really lend themselves to micro-management.

My PC is 4,5 years old with some upgraded RAM (2 GB) and a new videocard (a humble Radeon 4650). The CPU will make the difference; I fear it won't be enough. In any case, it will probably look better on Xbox 360 than on my PC.

2GB and a new videocard should be just fine for the game. Also, remember it'll cost $10 more for the 360 and you won't get free downloadable content, prepare to pay $10-15 extra for packaged extra content as opposed to free for the PC, you won't be able to play user generated content / additions.

It is truly epic, dramatic, dark, gritty and mature. Bioware knows how to NOT keep me interested.

At least we had The Witcher and we'll have Risen.

Interesting that you would mention one of the most immature games (The Witcher) of recent years.

I think DA´s marketing campaign will enter into marketing textbooks in no time.

Interesting that you would mention one of the most mature games (The Witcher) of recent years.

Fixed.
I´m sure you didn´t mean to play the reductionistic sex card here.

Please don't edit other people's posts ... it isn't forbidden here, but it is other place - and for good reason.

Well, as I've said before, everyone I know who has actually seen the game was impressed, so I'm not paying any attention to the stupid marketing.

Thanks for that reminder … it is always easy to lose sight of that in the barrage of crappy juvenile marketing …

Interesting how they manage to put everybody off with the marketing, while reading previews and info about the game makes me believe it has the potential to be very fun, even from a "hardcore" perspective. Let's hope the marketing really only is about tricking new kinds of players into the game, and doesn't reflect on actual gameplay too much.

Very good point. Every preview I read gets my hopes up, every piece of marketing I see puts those very same hopes back down again. BioWares previous releases has ensured that I will buy this game as soon as I see it in a store, but I can certainly understand people being unsure after the rather strange marketing campaign.

From the actual previews we've seen, it seems like a game with fun, tactical combat, yet the marketing campaign (to me, at least) seems to be targeting a completely different audience. What are they trying to achieve by that? Even if it does sell a ton of copies to the "action packed blood and gore" crowd, they're only going to end up with a ton of pissed off customers that were expecting God of War.

Interesting how they manage to put everybody off with the marketing
I'm impressed with your omniscience. Personally I would have thought the marketing is only putting off a small minority of the target market, while actually appealing to a larger majority.

I'm disappointed with the boobies though - it seems like they go up several sizes, magically grow a bra, and are as rigid as a silicon girl. I'd personally rather see more realistic size, shape and movement, no bra, and prevention of nipple shots by choice of camera angle/bedside objects instead. Would feel a lot more natural and dare I say it, tender, without providing any additional titillation or censorship worries. The sex looks pretty embarrassing actually - want my PC to be able to have it, but would prefer a fade to black than what is showing in these scenes :p

I'd personally rather see more realistic size, shape and movement, no bra, and prevention of nipple shots by choice of camera angle/bedside objects instead. Would feel a lot more natural and dare I say it, tender, without providing any additional titillation or censorship worries.

You've given this a lot of thought.

I thought it was obvious that I didn't mean "everybody" literally, more like "most of the people voicing their opinion on this site"... I agree that there are probably lots of people that it appeals to, I didn't have much of a problem with it myself either until the silly amounts of blood in this video and the awkward sex scene clips they (EA) insist on including wherever they can.

Really guys, I wouldn't be too worried about the trailer. It is EA's marketing at work here. Have you guys seen the fiasco that the Marketing for Dante's Inferno has (and still is) causing?

Interesting that you would mention one of the most immature games (The Witcher) of recent years.

Aside from the sex cards I don't see anything 'immature' or 'stupid' in the game (well, maybe combat but that doesn't impact 'maturity' of the game). So could you write what do you mean by 'one of the most immature games'? Is it less mature than Oblivion/Gothic 3/Mass Effect/Fallout 3? I'd say otherwise.

i hope its possible to turn down the blood effects a little bit.
i have nothin against pools on the ground and splatter effects, but this "bloody shower" feature is really ridiciulous.

Despite my complaints I wouldn't mess with the over-the-top blood in the game itself - any more than the massive blood in Soldier of Fortune 2 or in Wolfenstein bothers me at all. But the focus of those games is different, so therefore the marketing focus is what bugs me.

The cards are exactly it. Their only purpose was to appeal to immature teens. "Wow, look at at the cards for the babes I bagged!"

But, alas, that is who many companies seem to target their games (computer and otherwise) for, or the advertising anyway, even though everything points to most games being played by adults beyond their teens. And all the blood for DA is just weird as well as immature.

I thought the trailer was an interesting introduction to her character. I liked the dialogue in that scene and the way she speaks. Also seeing a religious character from Orlais introduces a bit of the setting.

I didn't think it would get such a negative reaction. I did not notice the blood and sex aspect of it. Because the rest of the trailer was good. It is only an issue for me if the whole trailer is about out of context violence and sex.

Back
Top Bottom