RPGWatch Feature - How To Kickstart Your Creative Project

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jacob Way, the Producer of the Zombie Survival RPG, I Shall Remain, talks about how to kickstart a creative project using crowdfunding based on their recent experiences:
Kickstarter had a relatively high sucess rate that was very attractive. We believed it could one, help fund our game's development, and two help spread the message. Our game, I Shall Remain- just had a rough time on Kickstarter. At first it did great. In the first ten days we raised almost $1300.00 dollars for it. Then the pledges ended and never came back. Our Kickstarter page ultimately did not bring in enough money to reach our $12,000.00 goal. It wasn't all for nothing though. We learned a lot about marketing and we hope by sharing this knowledge we can help others be sucessful.
So, why did we end up with a flop?
Read it here.
More information.

Quite interesting - though I heard Kickstarter is only available to U.S. citizens? And, I might have missed it, but - what was the "Kiss of Death" you talked about?

Quite interesting - though I heard Kickstarter is only available to U.S. citizens? And, I might have missed it, but - what was the "Kiss of Death" you talked about?

Yeah, if you have a project that needs funding you need to be a US Resident.

If you wan't to help fund a project you don't have to be a US Resident.

Payments are done through Amazon, so I think that is a big reason why the recipient needs to be a US Resident. (they gladly process money from you, just don't like to process money to you if your outside of US).

I've helped fund one project. And as the article alludes to, the best thing is to already have a crowd (youtube channel, forum community, etc). I don't think most funding comes from people already on Kickstart looking to fund 'something' but instead people who already follow the fundee and already want to chip in. Kickstarter is simply an easy way to allow funders to help the fundee and in addition giving rewards for the help as well as keeping the fundee on his toes about how he spends it (one can let people donate to you by paypal directly but then it's not really geared to a particular project, also I don't think you can use paypal 'donate' to something you later can buy).

It also helps if the person who is asking for funding has already entertained many people with free content.
1. It gives the followers a feeling they can give something back (although not alway neccesary because the 'free' content can be provided with ads), or help them make something bigger than they usual could do.
2. That previous free-content gives the funders the feeling the fundee actually has the skills to bring the project to a succesfull close.

PS: I know fundee is probably not a real word, but I couldn't think of a quick way to say what I meant.

Bringing this back to life just because of one reason.
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats

As you can see, the platform reached a total of billion passed to different projects.
Who could have thought such thing can be possible just a few years ago?
I'm not saying big and evil publishers will die, they can still invest a block or two into a project which is 10-20 times more than a KS project can gather, but if that will change in near future, noone will be happier than me.

Because sums invested in a project are not the only thing different. It's the product itself that is different. Crowdfunded project is something the audience votes we want this or we don't want this with their pledges. A project funded by big companies is usually something the audience has no way to get involved, except saying what's there is there, okay, squeeze me, milk me, skin me alive, I won't resist.

Does Kickstarter on the frontpage of Time magazine look like a sci fi now?

They also include the non collected money.

Collected money is at 859 M.

216 M on games, spread over 377 projects.

Games also include tabletop games projects, which often are tied to gaming material (miniatures, terrain etc) which collect some money.
Better, in tabletop gaming, rather important firms use KS as a way to fund themselves at no risks.

Over the last year, when thinking of it, I listed more indie games as good games than I listed published games (I played more Indie games though, much more than I played big house games)
Maybe one of those indie games was funded thanks to crowdfunding, all the others are made by people who found other funding streams.

Back
Top Bottom